Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default FYI-Shell Rotella synthetic

I changed my oil before my Sturgis/San Diego trip and while I was in Sturgis I started having trouble with my clutch slipping and on the way there I got some of the worst gas mileage ever towing my trailer. I would normally get 30 to 32 mpg and on the way there I got 25 to 26 mpg.

At first I thought it might have been the new windshield or maybe the trailer was loaded heavier than normal but Evan thought that it may have been the oil I changed to (Shell Rotella synthetic). I've used Rotella before with good results but never the synthetic blend. It was slipping so bad that I thought I was going to have to change my clutch right there in Sturgis.

I decided to change my oil there and the only thing I could find was the Mobil One V-Twin oil and after the change the Spyder was much better. I can't ride it as hard as I would like but it's not slipping unless I really get on it hard on a hill or on-ramp. A little throttle control and all is well. I am going to change out my clutch when I get home and for sure I won't be using Shell Rotella synthetic in my Spyder again.

You may get away with this oil on a Spyder that's not pulling a trailer but on mine it's no good.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Check the api code on your oil, brp is very specific about what you can use and if the api is not one they approve then the clutch will slip. Good luck

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Default oil

SORRY TO HERE ABOUT THE OIL AND THE CLUTCH. MAYBE YOU CAN TALK TO A MECANIC TO SEE IF YOU USE THE PROPER OIL THE PROBLEM MIGHT GO AWAY. AFTER I READ ON DIFFERENT THREADS ABOUT THE ROTELLA OIL I WAS IN WALLY WORLD, FOUND THE OIL AND READ THE BACK OF THE CONTAINER, AND NO WHERE COULD I FIND ANYTHING ABOUT BEING OK TO USE IN MOTORCYCLES. THAT WAS ENOUGH FOR ME. THATS WHY I AM GOING TO AMSOIL [MOTORCYCLE] PRODUCTS. I KNOW MOTORCYCLE MECHANICS THAT USE IT IN ALL THE BIKES THEY WORK AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. THEY WERE THE 1ST COMPANY TO MAKE SYNTHETICS IN THE EARLY 70S. SORRY ABOUT YOUR SPYDER.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I changed my oil before my Sturgis/San Diego trip and while I was in Sturgis I started having trouble with my clutch slipping and on the way there I got some of the worst gas mileage ever towing my trailer. I would normally get 30 to 32 mpg and on the way there I got 25 to 26 mpg.

At first I thought it might have been the new windshield or maybe the trailer was loaded heavier than normal but Evan thought that it may have been the oil I changed to (Shell Rotella synthetic). I've used Rotella before with good results but never the synthetic blend. It was slipping so bad that I thought I was going to have to change my clutch right there in Sturgis.

I decided to change my oil there and the only thing I could find was the Mobil One V-Twin oil and after the change the Spyder was much better. I can't ride it as hard as I would like but it's not slipping unless I really get on it hard on a hill or on-ramp. A little throttle control and all is well. I am going to change out my clutch when I get home and for sure I won't be using Shell Rotella synthetic in my Spyder again.

You may get away with this oil on a Spyder that's not pulling a trailer but on mine it's no good.
    As a former riding instructor/Bikes and Manual shift ATV'S I have and still do lots of slow speed manuevers riding in the friction zone and feathering the rear brake....this type of riding is associated with Motor Officer riding technique and puts a real Heat zone on early clutch wear!!If you get a chance go to a Police Rodeo and watch and hear the engines work.I have been using Amsoil 20 50 and Amsoil 10 40 in my bikes for years.......even though I ride in the friction zone lots because of frequent demos and style.....Zero clutch problems.......Zero clutch slippage .....I have used Amsoil under the hardest clutch wear.....It does what it says!!It is in my PE 2618 ....doing the job!!

Spyder Garage

Our dealer uses Spectro Blue for the Spyder oil change and I used it the first time I changed my own oil. After I did some research on it, I found it was conventional oil, not synthetic. For the next oil change, I used Spectro Gold synthetic. The Spyder has been running just fine with either Spectro product but for the $1 price difference per liter between the Spectro Gold ($9) and Amsoil ($10), I'll just use the Amsoil for all future changes. I have not read anything but good things about Amsoil and I plan on keeping the Spyder and using it a lot for many more (hopefully troublefree) years.

Spyder Garage

Am I missing something here? What is wrong with BRP oil, besides the price?

Spyder Garage

Good to know...used Rottela in my SV...highly recommended for that machine...a definite no-no for this one...thanx for the info
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Our dealer uses Spectro Blue for the Spyder oil change and I used it the first time I changed my own oil. After I did some research on it, I found it was conventional oil, not synthetic. For the next oil change, I used Spectro Gold synthetic. The Spyder has been running just fine with either Spectro product but for the $1 price difference per liter between the Spectro Gold ($9) and Amsoil ($10), I'll just use the Amsoil for all future changes. I have not read anything but good things about Amsoil and I plan on keeping the Spyder and using it a lot for many more (hopefully troublefree) years.

Amsoil has a Preferred Customer price program.....basically you are buying at wholesale.......costs an up-front $10 for 6 months or $20 for a year membership ......this is how I buy mine......I do have a Amsoil jobber near by so he saves me some shipping costs.Have not bought any lately as I stocked up in the early spring but back then my per Qt. cost was about $7.75!You might want to check it out .....info on their website....Amsoil.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Am I missing something here? What is wrong with BRP oil, besides the price?

Its convenience for me. I will probably order the filters, o-ring and washers from Magic Man or one of the other guys on this site who sell Spyder products and the local bike shop, which is on my 'usual travels' route, sells Amsoil, not BRP oil. I have to go probably another 5 - 10 miles out of my way to get to the local BRP dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Check the api code on your oil, brp is very specific about what you can use and if the api is not one they approve then the clutch will slip. Good luck
    While Rotella meets some of the API's for the Spyder, one API which is SM is specifically mentioned in the Spyder's manual as one that could cause the clutch to slip.

Spyder Garage

Rotella in the blue bottle meets the specs for the Spyder. The reformulation in the WHITE bottle is not to be used in the Spyder.
    Last edited by sabunim5; 12-08-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

My impression was that since one of the API's that the blue bottle meets is SM that it wouldn't meet approval for use in the Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    Rotella in the blue bottle meets the specs for the Spyder. The reformulation in the WHITE bottle is not to be used of the Spyder.
    hi, i am using rotella in all my bikes... have you actually used it for the spyder, with no problems?
    thanks,
    CD.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    Rotella in the blue bottle meets the specs for the Spyder. The reformulation in the WHITE bottle is not to be used of the Spyder.
    Lamonster..... is this the one you used?

I have 8,100 miles on mine with no noticeable issues and I've had the shell rotella synthetic in it since the 600 mile service..... never noticed this post till today so now I'm a little concerned.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the info - good stuff this website!

Spyder Garage

Who makes BRP's oil? I have almost 3,000 miles of extemeley aggressive riding(almost ready for new tires) on the Shell Rotella synthetic in the blue bottle, with no problems so far. I haven't been pulling a trailer though! I know towing can be harder on a drive train than agressive riding and I've seen the video of Lamonster doing both at the same time.

Spyder Garage

Hmmm...I used Blue in the SV...never tried it in the Spyder based on Lamonsters experience.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

i'm lazy i bring mine to dealer....
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

While mine is under warranty I'm sticking with BRP .But have been using spectro for years on other bikes and never had any oil problems

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

dPlease corect me if I am off my rocker.

It is my understanding that Synthetic comes in two formulas.
    1. Blend .... which is mix of Synthetic and reg Oil.
    2. Pure Synthetic... all synthetic.

The spec's I have read for the spyder only speak of Synthetic and no mention of blend.

I am ready now for the chop shop....

Spyder Garage

Default Rotella is all good with me....

Well..... Here comes the twist in the road, hang on as this can turn in to a nice long thread.

I have been using Rotella exclusively since 600 miles. I change the oil myself and do it every 3k miles. I have over 25k miles on the Spyder and have had zero issues with my clutch. Part of my commute is NYC traffic, so yes I do spend some time in the friction zone.

As far as the white vs blue debate, here is a pic of the one I use and I buy it at WalMart.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    dPlease corect me if I am off my rocker.

It is my understanding that Synthetic comes in two formulas.
    1. Blend .... which is mix of Synthetic and reg Oil.
    2. Pure Synthetic... all synthetic.

The spec's I have read for the spyder only speak of Synthetic and no mention of blend.

I am ready now for the chop shop....
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by nickcaro View Post
    Well..... Here comes the twist in the road, hang on as this can turn in to a nice long thread.

I have been using Rotella exclusively since 600 miles. I change the oil myself and do it every 3k miles. I have over 25k miles on the Spyder and have had zero issues with my clutch. Part of my commute is NYC traffic, so yes I do spend some time in the friction zone.

As far as the white vs blue debate, here is a pic of the one I use and I buy it at WalMart.

Can't try this myself, as our Wally Worlds around here only seem to have the white bottled variety (with blue label).
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I run the 5-40 full synthetic in my VW turbo diesel, It is the only (besides AMSoil) that is recommended and the critical element is the lubrication of the turbocharger. (lots of heat and wear there.. ) Makes me nervous to think it could cause issues in the spydee...

Spyder Garage

I just read my post again and I guess it's time for a update.

25K on this clutch and no slippage at all. I can roll on it as hard as I like with the trailer. Right now I'm running Lucas motorcycle oil.

As bad as my clutch was on my trip I seemed to have saved it by not grazing it up too bad and changing the oil a few times since then.

If Rotella is working good for you then by all means keep using it. I won't be on my Spyder because I ride a little harder than most with a much heavier load than most. I think that oil puts be just over the edge.

Spyder Garage

Default Rotella Synthetic has CHANGED.

I'm a total newbie here. Bought my wife a Spyder SE last Saturday, and I'm just reading everything I can find. You have a great forum here, I have learned much.
    Rotella T Synthetic. I've been running it fine in my Honda Valkyrie for years. I thought I could use it forever, but I CAN'T. Since my last gallon was purchased last fall, they have changed the formula. Now my trusty WalMart gallon of Rotella T is API SM. My last bottle was SL. From what I read here and on the other sites, SM is not acceptable for the Spyder. So long, Rotella T, So long, extra money. Hello Amsoil. (unless I can find some old stock out there, then I'm buying it up.)

Look forward to getting to know you all. I've seen Lamonster before, on another forum. Don't know which one. (Valk, Shadow, Silverwing are possibilities.)