Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally Got the Nanny to Slap Me!!!

It took some work but this is what I did on my 2012 RT:
    I normally lean into turns, this is a habit. It helps keep the wheels on the ground. I normally turn onto the street that I live on, it is about a 100 degree turn, I normally take it at about 30 MPH. I lean WAY over to keep the wheels down. So today I said, "What the heck! Let's not lean." (I didn't really say "heck", but you get the idea.) So I turned. I did not lean. ...the nanny powered down and slapped me. I was watching the wheels, and it didn't look like the inside one lifted off the pavement.

So I went around again. Same speed. No lean. Same results.
    So I went around again. Same speed. Lean like normal. No Nanny.

Interesting...the Nanny likes you to "lean into it." (heh).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    It took some work but this is what I did on my 2012 RT:
    I normally lean into turns, this is a habit. It helps keep the wheels on the ground. I normally turn onto the street that I live on, it is about a 100 degree turn, I normally take it at about 30 MPH. I lean WAY over to keep the wheels down. So today I said, "What the heck! Let's not lean." (I didn't really say "heck", but you get the idea.) So I turned. I did not lean. ...the nanny powered down and slapped me. I was watching the wheels, and it didn't look like the inside one lifted off the pavement.

So I went around again. Same speed. No lean. Same results.
    So I went around again. Same speed. Lean like normal. No Nanny.

Interesting...the Nanny likes you to "lean into it." (heh).
    You don't have to lift a wheel to get the nanny to kick in, but that may or may not do it.

The likely reason the nanny stepped in is if the steering angle does not match how fast you are turning as measured by the Yaw sensor. My 09 would do that when I was experimenting with higher front tire pressure.
    Last edited by billybovine; 02-24-2014 at 05:38 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Heres some of the stuff the "nanny" watches....

left tire
    right tire
    rear tire
    vehicle average speed
    yaw rate
    lateral acceleration
    longitudinal acceleration
    steering angle
    brake pressure
    LPS detection pressure (I'm not sure what this is?)

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

You can lift a wheel without waking nanny. You have to do it smoothly. That's all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nanny's just doing her job; keeping all of us off of the front pages.
    It is nice to know just what it takes to rile her up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What us yaw? Why does it need to be sensed?

Spyder Garage

Here's a little light reading. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw_(rotation)

2018 F3 LIMITED

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Think of yaw as "tilt". If the Spyder heels over too far in a turn it wakes up Miss Nanny. That is why leaning into the turn makes a difference. There can be other factors in conjuction with this, so you would not need to lift a wheel. To much throttle with the handlebars turned hard over, loss of traction as the rear wheel slips slightly, or a mismatch between steering torque and steering angle as the weight comes off one wheel are common additional factors or factors by themselves. Congrats on having good riding form from square one.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 02-24-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Think of yaw as "tilt". If the Spyder heels over too far in a turn it wakes up Miss Nanny. That is why leaning into the turn makes a difference. There can be other factors in conjuction with this, so you would not need to lift a wheel. To much throttle with the handlebars turned hard over, loss of traction as the rear wheel slips slightly, or a mismatch between steering torque and steering angle as the weight comes off one wheel are common additional factors or factors by themselves. Congrats on having good riding form from square one.
    Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it.

Spyder Garage

Think of yaw as "tilt".
    I think you mixed up yaw with roll. Side to side tilt is called Roll. Yaw is the change in direction of travel left or right.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I think you mixed up yaw with roll. Side to side tilt is called Roll. Yaw is the change in direction of travel left or right.
    Yes, I know, but I was trying to simplify it for him. The technical terms aren't always the way the average person thinks of them happening. "Tilt" seems to explain it better in terms of what the Spyder sensors actually measure. It would be roll on an aircraft.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I know, but I was trying to simplify it for him. The technical terms aren't always the way the average person thinks of them happening. "Tilt" seems to explain it better in terms of what the Spyder sensors actually measure. It would be roll on an aircraft.
    Are you sure about that? Most cars measure yaw...as in..."Is this thing pointed in the direction it should be given steering input, throttle, and braking?". That's very important to a stability system.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    Are you sure about that? Most cars measure yaw...as in..."Is this thing pointed in the direction it should be given steering input, throttle, and braking?". That's very important to a stability system.
    This sounds very technical. I am going to go over to the university bookstore this morning and get an introductory engineering text.

So, thanks to the Nanny, and to you guys, I am off to learn something new! (That is a compliment. I like learning new things.)

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    All I can tell you is that the nanny does monitor tilt or roll. Ask the folks tat went into limp mode simply because they went onto the banking at Daytona on the track ride. The Spyder also compares steering angle and steering torque to determine if it is following the correct line. TI don't think BRP's terminology follows what we see elsewhere. JMHO

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nanny's just doing her job; keeping all of us off of the front pages.
    It is nice to know just what it takes to rile her up!
    Was introduced to Nanny last summer (with my wife on the back).
    Nanny was not the overbearing control freak I had anticipated.
    As we took a hairpin turn in an area I'm very familiar with, she gently reminded me not to get too big for my britches.
    Very smooth. My wife was not even aware that Nanny had scolded me.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nanny Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
    Was introduced to Nanny last summer (with my wife on the back).....
    I was also introduced to our friendly Nanny last summer .... but, in this case, she saved me (I think this is in another post, but can't find it at the moment). Briefly:
    • Coming home from my trike class (about 50 mile drive)
    • Had recently rained in the direction I was headed (SE) and T-storms had moved east of the highway.
    • Noticed T-storm starting to collapse a few miles to my east and also noticed cars swerving badly on the highway.
    • Moved into left lane -- when I reached the "swerve" point, was instantly in the right lane.
    • Miss Nanny had kicked in to put a front tire back on the ground -- scared the out of me!

Had I not been paying attention and moved left when I did, and had Nanny not kept my tires "on the road", I think I would have ended up in a ditch.

Ride safe .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

All I can tell you is that the nanny does monitor tilt or roll. Ask the folks tat went into limp mode simply because they went onto the banking at Daytona on the track ride. The Spyder also compares steering angle and steering torque to determine if it is following the correct line. TI don't think BRP's terminology follows what we see elsewhere. JMHO
    They were probably going too slow on the high banked curve and the Nanny thought they were tipping over to the inside. If they had gone the correct speed they'd have been fine.

The Nanny is dynamic, meaning that she assumes a level surface and calculates everything off of that. So, she assumed that the high banked curve at Daytona was actually flat. With insufficient speed it appeared to her that the Spyder was tipping too much to the inside of the curve and she slowed the Spyder down hoping to correct the problem. But since the surface was NOT flat, her actions only made things worse (proving that the nanny is not perfect). Since she couldn't correct what she saw as a problem, she went to the Nuclear Option of Limp Mode.

On a motorcycle you lean everything into a turn to counteract centrifugal force and it is a good thing. You don't need a nanny on 2 wheels as you know pretty quickly if things are not balanced exactly right. It's called CRASHING in the technical vernacular.

On 3 wheels everything changes because you can't 'Lean' to balance against centrifugal force like you can on 2 wheels. Yes, you can lean your body and that helps. But you can't lean the machine. The nanny has no idea what you are doing with your body. There are no sensors connected to you. She only knows what the Spyder is doing, and it is leaning the wrong way into the turn. She allows a certain amount of this, but exceed her comfort zone and she will let you know.

So, too much lean in any direction and she will slow you down, which reduces the amount of centrifugal force and also reduces the lean angle (except for High Banked Turns like on race tracks), until she is happy.

There are more things that will upset your nanny than these listed. But she will definitely help you to improve your riding skills if you let her.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lifting inside front wheel

I don't know how smooth you need to be to lift a wheel in turns, but I did manage to do it today. I just recently bought a 2011 RT and have put about 200 miles on it. Still getting used to the extra wheel (my previous ride was a '07 DL650) and I guess I was carrying too much speed into too tight of a corner (about 100 degrees). Applied throttle too early and up went the front left wheel. It was surprising but not scary. Not sure if Nanny kicked in or just rolling off the throttle saved my bacon. The best part was upon my wheels return to earth I was greeted by the sight of a white-bearded Harley rider giving me a thumbs up. Has anybody else managed to pick up the front wheels while taking a turn?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! I used to pop the inner wheel up on my 2010 at every opportunity!
    Nanny would rush into the room, and set things straight just as quick as she could... but it was STILL fun!
    For the record: that bike had Elkas and a RonBar under the front end...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default All in all..!!

I'm glad you finally got to feel the nanny in action. It is strange cause my wife always asks why are we stopping..?? I still wonder (even brp could not say) does the brake light come on if the nanny applies the brakes...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I'm glad you finally got to feel the nanny in action. It is strange cause my wife always asks why are we stopping..?? I still wonder (even brp could not say) does the brake light come on if the nanny applies the brakes...
    Was wondering that myself. I'd hope so given how hard it'll slow you down at times.