Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Stock Exhaust Mod

What could/would be the consequences if I were to remove the exhaust tip (stock ST exhaust) and drill 1/4 inch holes in the muffler to allow for a bit more flow. I've doe this on previous bikes I've owned and had great results with improved flow and a nice rumble without having to re map. Any and all responses are greatly apreciated.

Spyder Garage

I did that on my Valkyrie many years ago. Nice sound, but no affect on performace. Not really sure what the results would be on a Spyder, but if it sounds good, it must be good.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Default WHICH

WHICH MUFFLER...?
    RT, RS, etc....
    i'll send you pix of the insides if you let me know which 1 u have....

Oops, sorry, just notice you have an ST....
    here are some pix...
    SAM_0864.jpg SAM_0865.jpg SAM_0866.jpg SAM_0868.jpg SAM_0873.jpg
    these things are built to resist earthquakes and tornadoes.... absolutely BULLET-PROOF....
    drilling 1/8" holes will get you nowhere... there are 3 180 degree reverses... gut the thing, and install a glass pack like i did...
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 05-24-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ST exhaust mod

ST exhaust looks like the one in the pics. Like your idea with the glass pack. If you have more pics to completion it would be greatly appreciated. The drilling I could do myself, the glass pack mod I'd have to go to a muffler shop and would want to have as detailed instructions as possible.

Thanks a million this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Spyder Garage

With the Cat Converter before the Muffler, not in the Muffler like RS/RSS I believe you may get a better sound but not too much improvement in airflow. Perfoming Surgery or eliminating the Cat Converter all together may be your best option.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Stock Exhaust Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    With the Cat Converter before the Muffler, not in the Muffler like RS/RSS I believe you may get a better sound but not too much improvement in airflow. Perfoming Surgery or eliminating the Cat Converter all together may be your best option.
    I removed the stock exhaust tip and drilled 5/8 inch holes completely thru into the muffler. There are two (2) plates to drill thru the outer one you can see and another one a couple of inches after you drill thru the first.

Just the improvement in sound I was looking for. No impact on performance that I can tell. I did notice some improvement in gas mileage but I'm guessing that's just a result of break in, as I have less than 2500 total miles.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-05-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Default Drilling holes in exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by chief1949 View Post
    What could/would be the consequences if I were to remove the exhaust tip (stock ST exhaust) and drill 1/4 inch holes in the muffler to allow for a bit more flow. I've doe this on previous bikes I've owned and had great results with improved flow and a nice rumble without having to re map. Any and all responses are greatly apreciated.
    Hey folks. I actually did this today on a '15 RT LTD. There are actually 3 layers to drill through. I did q4 1/2 inch holes. I put them at about the 12, 2, 6 and 9 positions. The short of it is, now I have a muffler that sounds like it has a hole in it. Just without the rattle that goes along with a burnt or rusted out muffler. As for the 90 degree tips, with them pointed down you get echo off the ground or garage floor. If you remove them, all of the noise goes straight back instead of bouncing off the ground.

The holes do offer a slight drone at idle and low RPM. At speed, I couldn't tell a difference.
    Now for me, I came across this video of a Spyder with a glass pack.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBUY7Q8XZAo.
    Personally, I like the sound. More of the Harley / Indian tone to it. The glass pack is about $35 at Advanced Auto. Since I ride solo 80% of the time, I will probably go this route.

Thanks for ALL of the tips and info. Lots of great info here.

DJ