Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer/Camper towing question.

In SC trailers do not need a license plate. What happens if I get a trailer and go on a road trip? Can I expect to get pulled over a lot while observing the speed limits and laws?

Secondly who has a Sentry camper and how does it tow? What did you do to make the wiring compatible with a Spyder.

Thirdly what is the pinout for a 4 square plug like on the 2013. My wife wants to do an east coast Lighthouse tour from Maine to Florida sorta bucket list thing and I am working on the planning. Thanks in advance.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

that was 3 questions and i am not authorized to answer any of them.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default i would

move my bike plate to the trailer when traveling
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

First of all, I have towed the Aspen Sentry all over the US without a plate and never had a problem. The sentry tows like a dream! Mine has electric brakes but I have never installed the controller. I have a lot of towing experience and you just need to know what is happening around you! You must ride VERY defensively and always expect some one to do something stupid. I brake early at every stop to avoid overworking the brakes.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    First of all, I have towed the Aspen Sentry all over the US without a plate and never had a problem. The sentry tows like a dream! Mine has electric brakes but I have never installed the controller. I have a lot of towing experience and you just need to know what is happening around you! You must ride VERY defensively and always expect some one to do something stupid. I brake early at every stop to avoid overworking the brakes.
    Good info and I hear you on the brakes I have towed a lot with my Terrain but never on a motorcycle. I do also know about the towing mode setting on pre 2014s. How did you convert the round 6 wire plug?
    Last edited by Magdave; 02-21-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Can't help you with the trailer plate question. I'd carry a copy of your state law exemption with you, in case you get stopped along the way. My wife does that with her '63 Falcon to explain the lack of seat belts.

The Sentry tows well as long as you watch both the total weight (remember that a loaded cooler can weigh 80 pounds or more) and the tongue weight. Any trailer will "hunt" if the tongue weight is too low. The Sentry is more subject to wind influence than smaller trailers, and will cost you some gas mileage as it is like towing a sheet of plywood through the air.

There are a couple of ways to address the 5-wire system of the Sentry. You can replace the amber turn signal lenses with red ones, then wire it as a 4-wire stsyem, either replacing the round-6 or just splicing in a square-4 connector. You could also make an adapter from square-4 to round-6. Another alternative is to wire a 5-wire pigtail directly into the Spyder lighting system, and don't use the OEM harness. That will also require a different connector on the Sentry, or an adapter. I took another approach. I separated the brake lights on the Sentry and added a wire running forward for the disconnected one. The brake lights were then able to used as both brake and turn on a 4-wire system. I spliced in a 4-wire connector, but retained my 6-wire plug (I replaced the round with a rectangular) for use with the adapter my other trailers use. With a jumper in my adapter I can use the trailer for either 4-wire or 5-wire systems...or the oddball early BRP 6-wire version without the jumper to connect the right and left brake circuits.

I don't remember the standard pinout for the square-4, but it is confusing anyway as it reverses depending on which half of the connector is being viewed. I believe BRP has reverted to standard trailer wiring colors leading to the square-4 connector, although this should be confirmed. In that case brown = running lights, green= right turn/brake, yellow = left turn/brake, and white = ground. Always best to just ring them out with a voltmeter, since I have seen some that were not standard patterns.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Can't help you with the trailer plate question. I'd carry a copy of your state law exemption with you, in case you get stopped along the way. My wife does that with her '63 Falcon to explain the lack of seat belts.

The Sentry tows well as long as you watch both the total weight (remember that a loaded cooler can weigh 80 pounds or more) and the tongue weight. Any trailer will "hunt" if the tongue weight is too low. The Sentry is more subject to wind influence than smaller trailers, and will cost you some gas mileage as it is like towing a sheet of plywood through the air.

There are a couple of ways to address the 5-wire system of the Sentry. You can replace the amber turn signal lenses with red ones, then wire it as a 4-wire stsyem, either replacing the round-6 or just splicing in a square-4 connector. You could also make an adapter from square-4 to round-6. Another alternative is to wire a 5-wire pigtail directly into the Spyder lighting system, and don't use the OEM harness. That will also require a different connector on the Sentry, or an adapter. I took another approach. I separated the brake lights on the Sentry and added a wire running forward for the disconnected one. The brake lights were then able to used as both brake and turn on a 4-wire system. I spliced in a 4-wire connector, but retained my 6-wire plug (I replaced the round with a rectangular) for use with the adapter my other trailers use. With a jumper in my adapter I can use the trailer for either 4-wire or 5-wire systems...or the oddball early BRP 6-wire version without the jumper to connect the right and left brake circuits.

I don't remember the standard pinout for the square-4, but it is confusing anyway as it reverses depending on which half of the connector is being viewed. I believe BRP has reverted to standard trailer wiring colors leading to the square-4 connector, although this should be confirmed. In that case brown = running lights, green= right turn/brake, yellow = left turn/brake, and white = ground. Always best to just ring them out with a voltmeter, since I have seen some that were not standard patterns.
    Thanks Scotty that was exactly what I wanted to know about the wiring. I like your solution as I was wondering about the turn/brake separation. Do you remember where the junction for the brake light wire you cut was?

Spyder Garage

I just found this great solution to make an adapter for the 4 square to flat 4 connector. Looks like Scotty was spot on with the colors too.
    http://myspyderstuff.wordpress.com/2...4-pin-adapter/

Spyder Garage

I replaced the lenses on my Aspen Classic, I think they were less than 20 bucks from Trailmaster

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gwritesel View Post
    I replaced the lenses on my Aspen Classic, I think they were less than 20 bucks from Trailmaster
    I was thinking about that too when I order it. It is a ways off but doing my planning now.

Spyder Garage

Is the Aspen Ambassador to big for the Spyder? I might have a line on one is why I am asking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Thanks Scotty that was exactly what I wanted to know about the wiring. I like your solution as I was wondering about the turn/brake separation. Do you remember where the junction for the brake light wire you cut was?
    I clipped it near the socket on one side in the rear. I don't remember the details, I just clipped off the wire running to the second brakelight from the one directly fed from the main harness. I then ran a new wire from that light to the tongue/connector. I don't remember which side was fed directly and which was secondary, but it's pretty easy on the Sentry as the wires aren't deeply buried.

Is the Aspen Ambassador to big for the Spyder? I might have a line on one is why I am asking.
    We considered an Ambassador. They are heavier, and would further limit your cargo capacity, but I expect they will work. We went with the Sentry because we are old and wounded, and climbing over the back and going down the stairs to trot off to the potty in the middle of the night sounded dangerous for folks with arthritis and bionic parts. We also liked the attached dressing room of the Sentry vs. the aisle of the Ambassador. It's a good place for the porta-potty or a couple of chairs. The Sentry can be set up or taken down by one person, too, which is difficult with the hardtop Ambassador. A bargain Ambassador would certainly be worth looking at, however. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I use a time out pop up trailer. Opens up to 14 ft. Long , takes about 15 minutes. Has a cooler in front accessible from camper. Also an opening for an A/C unit .
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393024640.188899.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393024683.270167.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393024731.887346.jpg

Spyder Garage

Can use a 4 wire or 5 wire flat hook up also

Spyder Garage

In SC trailers do not need a license plate. What happens if I get a trailer and go on a road trip? Can I expect to get pulled over a lot while observing the speed limits and laws?

Secondly who has a Sentry camper and how does it tow? What did you do to make the wiring compatible with a Spyder.

Thirdly what is the pinout for a 4 square plug like on the 2013. My wife wants to do an east coast Lighthouse tour from Maine to Florida sorta bucket list thing and I am working on the planning. Thanks in advance.

I to live in SC and found out that the trailer falls under the laws of the state in which the vehicle towing the trailer is license in. I have pulled my utility trailer across country and have never had a problem. Even the trailer I tow behind my spyder doesn't require a plate.

Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    I use a time out pop up trailer. Opens up to 14 ft. Long , takes about 15 minutes. Has a cooler in front accessible from camper. Also an opening for an A/C unit .
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393024640.188899.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393024683.270167.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393024731.887346.jpg
    Hmm looks nice too gonna have to check them out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mettlerk View Post
    I to live in SC and found out that the trailer falls under the laws of the state in which the vehicle towing the trailer is license in. I have pulled my utility trailer across country and have never had a problem. Even the trailer I tow behind my spyder doesn't require a plate.

Hope this helps.
    It does!
    I think that Scotty has the right idea; carry along the regulations that cover licensing (or not!) for your State...

Dave!
    You're gonna be passing up through New York when you undertake the lighthouse Tour...
    Let us know when that happens, and the New York contingent will meet you along the way!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-21-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default trailer towing

if my mind works right any thing in tow has to have plate on it.i live in NE and Mass . NH Maine has plate law for tow trailer

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just found this great solution to make an adapter for the 4 square to flat 4 connector. Looks like Scotty was spot on with the colors too.
    http://myspyderstuff.wordpress.com/2...4-pin-adapter/

I like this idea! I was wondering how to wire a trailer into the harness on the new connectors.
    Thanks,
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Sometime buying two plugs is ok but just go Napa and have them order the sq. 4 pin plug .It's only 5 to 6 buck.

Spyder Garage

Here is an interesting one albeit pricey

Spyder Garage

And a little more cost friendly but harder to put tighter. They also toss in some nice options

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360861513995...84.m1423.l2649

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another alternative is to wire a 5-wire pigtail directly into the Spyder lighting system, and don't use the OEM harness. That will also require a different connector on the Sentry, or an adapter.
    You can use the OEM harness, with modification. The harness is a Y harness that plugs inline into the cargo interconnector and into the OEM trailer isolator. Basically what I did was use the OEM Y harness and connect it to a Goldwing trailer isolator, which is 5 wire output. Connect the 5 wire cable to the 5 wire trailer harness with your preferred connector. You can connect the isolator to the Y harness with a 6 pin Deutsch connector, available on eBay and elsewhere online, or cut the connector off and splice the wires together. This way you protect the bike wiring from any trailer shorts and power the trailer lights directly from the battery. The Y harness has a fused power lead in it. If you want you could tie into the power lead and add a sixth wire to the trailer to carry constant, with key on, power to the trailer. Then you would use a 6 pole connector to the trailer.

The isolator is very low power draw so it won't upset the turn signal load like the added trailer lights may.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I like this one for one person, Mini Mate