Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default that plastic ring on the bars

Hello all,

I am seldom a tinkerer and what seems simple to some usually means less than simple for me.

I want to install a GPS mount in the location of the small ring on the right bar. I have read two ways to remove that ring.
    1. cut it and remove it. (box cutter, etc.)
    2. remove 2 screws, slide the throttle and controls off, slide the ring off and then reinstall the controls. [I read Lamont's post about spraying with windex]

It makes sense to me to NOT destroy that black ring, in case I want to reinstall it at some point.
    So, is there any secret to removing the throttle grip and control and then reinstalling them?

Thanks for any/all suggestions and advice.

---leo---

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cut that ring right off with a box cutter and drop it into your "Spyder box". Then you've got a nice area for a RAM mount.

Stuart in PGH

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frleo View Post
    Hello all,

I am seldom a tinkerer and what seems simple to some usually means less than simple for me.

I want to install a GPS mount in the location of the small ring on the right bar. I have read two ways to remove that ring.
    2. remove 2 screws, slide the throttle and controls off, slide the ring off and then reinstall the controls. [I read Lamont's post about spraying with windex]

It makes sense to me to NOT destroy that black ring, in case I want to reinstall it at some point.
    So, is there any secret to removing the throttle grip and control and then reinstalling them?

---leo---
    Maybe. Depends if you have enough cable/wire slop to slide the entire throttle assembly off of the right side. In my case, I was always working on another project that needed both bar-end assemblies off. In that case, I had to loosen the handlebar clamps... which required removing the handlebar cover assemblies... which... you get my drift. It can get ugly.

However, you have absolutely nothing to lose by loosening the two bolts mentioned to see if you actually can slide the assembly off. Worse case, you can't and you have to cut a $3 part off.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Hello all,

---leo---
    May I suggest an alternative that does not involve any cutting? You would have to mount the GPS on the left rather than the right if you do this, but the RAM clutch reservoir cover would do the trick without any modifications to the Spyder at all:

http://products.ram-mount.com/rammou...ber=RAM-B-346U

Just a thought.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    May I suggest an alternative that does not involve any cutting? You would have to mount the GPS on the left rather than the right if you do this, but the RAM clutch reservoir cover would do the trick without any modifications to the Spyder at all:

http://products.ram-mount.com/rammou...ber=RAM-B-346U

Just a thought.

Bruce
    Thanks for info i saw this on a site selling ram mounts but wasn't sure if it would work on the Spyder reservior.
    BIGD Love to Ride

Spyder Garage

I also did a left hand mount on my GPS. I used the RAM hardware that came with the GPS.

Here's the thread.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Brian, I had read the thread of your install. You are much more clever that I am. Dremel work is beyond my abilities.
    Bruce, does that clutch res. cover replace the spYder cover or fit over it?
    Mounting on the left certainly has advantages.
    thanks, ---leo---

Spyder Garage

Brian, I had read the thread of your install. You are much more clever that I am. Dremel work is beyond my abilities.
    Bruce, does that clutch res. cover replace the spYder cover or fit over it?
    Mounting on the left certainly has advantages.
    thanks, ---leo---
    Fr. Leo, the RAM clutch reservoir cover goes over the existing cover. It comes with a bunch of screws with varying lengths. You simply remove the two screws that come with the reservoir, leaving the stock cover in place, put the RAM plate on top and then replace the stock screws with the matching RAM screws, which are slightly longer than the stock ones. Thus, both the new RAM cover and the existing cover are snugly in place, with the RAM piggybacking on the stock cover. Looks like a nice clean way to go.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now, that seems like something I could do. I have the URL of RAM so am off to see about ordering.
    Thanks, Bruce.
    ---leo---

Spyder Garage

The throttle assembly slides right off the end of the bar after loosening the screws for easy removal of the black plastic ring. Goes back on just as easy. Good luck on whatever installation you choose.
    sabunim5
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Fr. Leo, the RAM clutch reservoir cover goes over the existing cover. It comes with a bunch of screws with varying lengths. You simply remove the two screws that come with the reservoir, leaving the stock cover in place, put the RAM plate on top and then replace the stock screws with the matching RAM screws, which are slightly longer than the stock ones. Thus, both the new RAM cover and the existing cover are snugly in place, with the RAM piggybacking on the stock cover. Looks like a nice clean way to go.

Bruce

I probably would have gone this way (RAM clutch cover mount) too if I wasn't able to make the included bracket work for me. The left hand mount is so much more convenient and safe for using the GPS while riding. Right hand mount would require you to remove your hand from the throttle or reach your left hand across your body to do anything with the GPS. The center mount would require you to lean forward to do anything with the GPS. With the left hand mount, it's 'right there', in easy reach.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I probably would have gone this way (RAM clutch cover mount) too if I wasn't able to make the included bracket work for me. The left hand mount is so much more convenient and safe for using the GPS while riding. Right hand mount would require you to remove your hand from the throttle or reach your left hand across your body to do anything with the GPS. The center mount would require you to lean forward to do anything with the GPS. With the left hand mount, it's 'right there', in easy reach.
    I have had the Ram mount on my Concours on the left hand side for years and I like it there. I don't think the mount I have on the Connie would work on the Spyder, but it is really handy, as it has two Ram balls on it, one on the top and one facing the rider, so I can hook up both my GPS and two-way radio close to one another.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I MADE THE ORDER. Now the wait for the parts to arrive.
    Thanks for all the good help. Again shows just how good this forum is for spYderiders.

---leo---

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Parts arrived quickly - install went mostly OK. Screws from RAM were wrong thread pitch, quickly remedied with trek to hardware store.
    Here's what it looks like and works very well for me.

Thanks again fellow spYder Riders.

---leo---

Spyder Garage

Parts arrived quickly - install went mostly OK. Screws from RAM were wrong thread pitch, quickly remedied with trek to hardware store.
    See how easy that was, Father. And you said you weren't mechanically inclined...
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Are your new screws stainless steel frleo? I had bought some hardware store screws for my GPS mount at first and they started rusting once they got rained on. I replaced them with stainless steel screws. Just an FYI.

Spyder Garage

Here's what it looks like and works very well for me.

Thanks again fellow spYder Riders.

---leo---
    That looks great, Father Leo. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The bin said stainless steel, but they are black, so hopefully SS and anodized. Is that possible?

---leo---

Spyder Garage

The bin said stainless steel, but they are black, so hopefully SS and anodized. Is that possible?

---leo---
    I have never had any RAM bolts rust, and I have been using RAM mounts for years.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have never had any RAM bolts rust, and I have been using RAM mounts for years.

Bruce
    The screws RAM sent were the wrong size/pitch - had to buy larger ones at local hardware. The bin SAID SS. Hope so.
    ---leo---