Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Would this void the warranty?..either factory or aftermarket?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your dealer is a crook and an idiot, IMO. What plugs did he use? The ones you used are perfectly suitable. I suspect what you did was fail to connect a plug wire correctly, or knock off a vacuum hose or sensor wire. Be sure to use heat sink compound on the plug threads, too. The problem was undoubtedly in your installation, not the plug used...provided the gap was correct. Running on one cylinder, misfiring, or preignition can sound like the engine is ready to come apart. Preignition from running lean or from carbon deposits will, too. The Spyder should not foul spark plugs. If all the dealer's Spyders do so, they are screwing up a lot of them. Causes for repeated plug fouling include bad plug wires (most common), bad coil, or faulty ECM or ECM connection. If your code remains, you still have the original problem. Find another dealer and attack it again. Sorry that yours is such a dud!
    Finally whent out and checked over the parts he gave back and the plugs he put in are NGK KR8BI Iridium for $39.98 ouch thats a bit steep even for a dealer! After couple days cooling off the front plug wire not being all the way snaped on sounds like the most likely cause, as I could barely get my hand to it and had to do it blind. Labor was 127.52 and that was cutting me a deal to help me out.For got to add he warned me not to change out to the after market air filter assembly as that could mess up my $10000.00 engine.
    Last edited by yamahog; 03-03-2014 at 09:42 PM.
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yamahog View Post
    For got to add he warned me not to change out to the after market air filter assembly as that could mess up my $10000.00 engine.
    Bet there is a lot of people running the Kewl metal air filter that would not agree with this statement! Did he say why?....
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Finally whent out and checked over the parts he gave back and the plugs he put in are NGK KR8BI Iridium for $39.98 ouch thats a bit steep even for a dealer! After couple days cooling off the front plug wire not being all the way snaped on sounds like the most likely cause, as I could barely get my hand to it and had to do it blind. Labor was 127.52 and that was cutting me a deal to help me out.For got to add he warned me not to change out to the after market air filter assembly as that could mess up my $10000.00 engine.
    those plugs don't sound like the right ones

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Bet there is a lot of people running the Kewl metal air filter that would not agree with this statement! Did he say why?....
    Not that I agree with him, just ranting about the experience with this dealer, he said some thhing about the oil not draining back right and that all it did was make more noise anyway, I call BS on this one for sure.
    If I do have to have anymore work done at a dealer it will not be there I will go the extra 200 miles or so to get it done right.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

The parts fiche does list the KR88I as the correct plug for the 2013 RT, which surprises me...but the price is outrageous unless that includes the labor! Changing plugs on an RT lists as three hours flat rate, so the dealer did cut you a deal. I expect the DPR's would have worked fine, but at least all is well now. If the plugs foul again, though, something else is wrong. Other than the 2010 RT's, witgh programming and throittle body issues, colder plugs, and some other bugs, the Spyders normally don't foul plugs readily.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default coolant leak?

Started finding pudles of anti freeze under bike couple days after getting it back from deeler finally was able to get it up on lift today and looks like its leaking around the water pump, course he cant get to it for at least another week, anyone sugest a good deeler around the metroplex that might work me in?
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Default Louispowersports

Started finding pudles of anti freeze under bike couple days after getting it back from deeler finally was able to get it up on lift today and looks like its leaking around the water pump, course he cant get to it for at least another week, anyone sugest a good deeler around the metroplex that might work me in?
    Will be trailering bike 215 miles to Louispowersports monday, hopefully they are as good as people say they are I am ready to get back to rideing again.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Probably not your dealers fault I've had 2 H20 pumps in 26k miles on my 12RT. Aren't they closed Mondays?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Probably not your dealers fault I've had 2 H20 pumps in 26k miles on my 12RT. Aren't they closed Mondays?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    My dealer is gon to some event for a week I dont want to wait that long, I couldnt believe they where open on monday either but called to verify and they said yep they would be there.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Sorry to hear of your troubles the weather pump leak is a pretty common problem on the 2012 and earlier spyders though I haven't heard of any 13 having the seal leak.
    Mine leaked so after a three week waite on parts it was repaired, I would check to see if the dealer has the parts in stock first if not ride the small leak won't hurt anything just keep an eye on the fluids and drop it off when the parts are ready for install
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    Sorry to hear of your troubles the weather pump leak is a pretty common problem on the 2012 and earlier spyders though I haven't heard of any 13 having the seal leak.
    Mine leaked so after a three week waite on parts it was repaired, I would check to see if the dealer has the parts in stock first if not ride the small leak won't hurt anything just keep an eye on the fluids and drop it off when the parts are ready for install
    Mike
    I wish it was a small leak but mine is leaving a good size pudle every time I shut it down it emptied the tank first day I noticed the leak.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

I wish it was a small leak but mine is leaving a good size pudle every time I shut it down it emptied the tank first day I noticed the leak.
    I would be surprised if it was the water pump, then. They usually just drip. More likely a hose, adapter, gasket, or the tank. Be aware that these can take a while to locate and repair...especially if they are near the top of the engine. The water drips down and always looks like it originates somewhere other than the true source.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I haven't been there, yet. Scotty would be my first call.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would be surprised if it was the water pump, then. They usually just drip. More likely a hose, adapter, gasket, or the tank. Be aware that these can take a while to locate and repair...especially if they are near the top of the engine. The water drips down and always looks like it originates somewhere other than the true source.
    Got the call today it is the water pump and they have orderd it, hopefully first of next week I will get bike back, I just hope this takes care of everything, they said they would give it a complete check up.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT