Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Here is the prototype installed on Doc Riverside's RT, we also tested on a ST for fit.

I really need to thank Doc Riverside more often for all his help over the last few months as we tested prototypes and worked out details. And thanks for Dan for his testing with the GS/RS.

The production version will be anodized.

Thanks
    JT

How is this different from the Kewl Metal airbox conversion?
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    How is this different from the Kewl Metal airbox conversion?
    It uses a larger filter with 30+ cross matches so easy to find come replacement time. The crankcase vent is done in a manner that won't allow any oil to get on the filter and evenly divide any return oil to each cylinder. The mounting holes exactly match the metric bolt pattern of the throttle body for a perfect fit. It's built in 3 pieces to minimize waste of material. It has the Doc Riverside and WackyDan seal of approval .

JT

Spyder Garage

jthornton,

What is the price? I went to the link and couldn't find one

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    jthornton,

What is the price? I went to the link and couldn't find one

Jerry
    I have not set the price yet, I'm still working with the anodizer on what my cost will be for that. As soon as I get firm pricing I'll post the price. I try very hard to price my products very competitive and either make them myself or they are made in Missouri. I should know next week the delivery on the first batch and the price.

JT

Spyder Garage

I'm in Australia and I'm very interested. Could you put me on your list.

Spyder Garage

I,m figuring 3 Years till the Iridiums my 2012 RT came stock with need replacing.
    Even if you can reach the front plug would not you need to remove the air box to run the New wire for it??
    We all know you should do new wires with plugs?

PS: That's why I like the simply GS and ST is similar if they have solved the heat problem on the 2014 ST?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRWW View Post
    I'm in Australia and I'm very interested. Could you put me on your list.
    You bet!

Thanks
    JT

Spyder Garage

Default New wires.

Well got the front spark plug out, and new plug wires arrived yesterday hope to attempt to replace the wires tonight, still haven't gotten the air box out, hopefully I can finish without doing so, but it is now a priority mod to replace that monster. I am just amazed at the stupidity of building a state of the art $30000 dollar touring machine, and then not making sure the average person can maintain the basics, and to top it off using cheap parts that only last 9 to 12 thousand miles before having to replace them. ,unless they make major changes in the ease of maintenance of these bikes this will be my only spyder, I love the bike but servicing them is ridiculous. O and how did I decide that plugs needed changing? the bike through the P0174 code and my dealer suggested changing the plugs before I brought it in, because according to him today's crappy gas fowls the plugs, now I know why he suggested I change the plugs geese thanks LOL.

Sorry about the rant just had to get it off my chest, Thanks for all the great help on here and I promise not to do any thing rash LOL
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yamahog View Post
    Well got the front spark plug out, and new plug wires arrived yesterday hope to attempt to replace the wires tonight, still haven't gotten the air box out, hopefully I can finish without doing so, but it is now a priority mod to replace that monster. I am just amazed at the stupidity of building a state of the art $30000 dollar touring machine, and then not making sure the average person can maintain the basics, and to top it off using cheap parts that only last 9 to 12 thousand miles before having to replace them. ,unless they make major changes in the ease of maintenance of these bikes this will be my only spyder, I love the bike but servicing them is ridiculous. O and how did I decide that plugs needed changing? the bike through the P0174 code and my dealer suggested changing the plugs before I brought it in, because according to him today's crappy gas fowls the plugs, now I know why he suggested I change the plugs geese thanks LOL.

Sorry about the rant just had to get it off my chest, Thanks for all the great help on here and I promise not to do any thing rash LOL
    I went through the same thing with my 2013 RTS SE5 and the P0174 code. I also replaced my plugs and wires with BajaRon's set. I had previously removed the airbox and replaced it with the Kewl Metal air filter kit. I did not get rid of the code until I removed the fuel canister and isolated the purge valve. I rerouted the gas vent to the back of the Spyder. Look for the threads on performing a canisterectomy. That solved the P0174 code issue. The problem was the purge valve.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    I went through the same thing with my 2013 RTS SE5 and the P0174 code. I also replaced my plugs and wires with BajaRon's set. I had previously removed the airbox and replaced it with the Kewl Metal air filter kit. I did not get rid of the code until I removed the fuel canister and isolated the purge valve. I rerouted the gas vent to the back of the Spyder. Look for the threads on performing a canisterectomy. That solved the P0174 code issue. The problem was the purge valve.
    Purge valve failure or a vacuum leak is far more likely to cause a lean cylinder condition. Other possibilities would be a valve problem or an O2 sensor issue. There are additional possibilities. A fouled plug should not cause a lean cylinder on a vehicle with individual O2 sensors...just the opposite, so I don't understand the tech's comments. Sounds like he was shooting from the hip (and didn't want to bother taking three hours [flat rate] to change the plugs on an RT).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    Thanks for the info I was afraid of that the first time I got this code they said the throttle stop had to be reset that worked for a year or little better, If the plugs dont fix it it is going back to dealer, and he better fix it while its under waranty is all I have to say about that
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Default been a while

When I replaced the plugs and wires, was able to leave air box alone and reach around the front of the motor to get the plug. Also, rerouted the wire around the front of motor to the plug on the right side.
    States Judy and I have visited so far on the

Spyder Garage

Default replacement filter

Add me to your list for the replacement filter. Working around that air box is ridiculous. Thanks for spending the time designing and manufacturing it. I work with a good anodizer up in Minnesota if you would like a quote from there I can arrange it. Shipping is the only drawback. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    Add me to your list for the replacement filter. Working around that air box is ridiculous. Thanks for spending the time designing and manufacturing it. I work with a good anodizer up in Minnesota if you would like a quote from there I can arrange it. Shipping is the only drawback. Mike
    Hi Mike,

If you want to PM me your email that will make it easier to contact you when the first batch comes back from the anodizer. I have a company in Missouri that will anodize the parts for me. Thanks for the offer. I actually have an anodizing line part way constructed but to speed up the first few batches I'm going to farm that out.

The air filter housings are being made at my friends machine shop as we speak. He has a much bigger machine shop than me so I get him to make many things for me.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default So disapointed in my dealer.

Thanks for the info I was afraid of that the first time I got this code they said the throttle stop had to be reset that worked for a year or little better, If the plugs dont fix it it is going back to dealer, and he better fix it while its under waranty is all I have to say about that
    Up date to spark plug saga, the plugs not only didnt fix code but after putting everything back together I fired up the bike and O my god someone droped marbles or something down my intake, was my first horified thought, the bike ran much rougher and sounded like it was hamering its pistons to death , so I quickly shut it down and called the dealer, he was like wtf did you do put in the wrong plugs are they too long? so I tell him the plug numbers and he say's on man those are wrong for your bike anyway I trailerd it to them and three hours later its done, they said plug number DCPR8EIX was wrong for these bikes and messed up the computers throwing all kind of codes, so they had to reset everything and replace the plugs, its my fault for useing wrong parts and that will be $176.00 we gave you a brake and only charged 1 hr labor plus plugs, at this point I am about to explode, I asked them what about the lean code and fouled plug that started this mess and they where like its a motorcycle we have them foul just moving them around the shop, so i asked what if the plug fouls out in the midle of nowhere 2 to 3 hundred miles or more from a dealer and he just said I am **** out of luck.
    So whats the deal does just changeing plugs mess up the computers on these bikes are these the wrong plugs or is my dealer just screwing me?
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Up date to spark plug saga, the plugs not only didnt fix code but after putting everything back together I fired up the bike and O my god someone droped marbles or something down my intake, was my first horified thought, the bike ran much rougher and sounded like it was hamering its pistons to death , so I quickly shut it down and called the dealer, he was like wtf did you do put in the wrong plugs are they too long? so I tell him the plug numbers and he say's on man those are wrong for your bike anyway I trailerd it to them and three hours later its done, they said plug number DCPR8EIX was wrong for these bikes and messed up the computers throwing all kind of codes, so they had to reset everything and replace the plugs, its my fault for useing wrong parts and that will be $176.00 we gave you a brake and only charged 1 hr labor plus plugs, at this point I am about to explode, I asked them what about the lean code and fouled plug that started this mess and they where like its a motorcycle we have them foul just moving them around the shop, so i asked what if the plug fouls out in the midle of nowhere 2 to 3 hundred miles or more from a dealer and he just said I am **** out of luck.
    So whats the deal does just changeing plugs mess up the computers on these bikes are these the wrong plugs or is my dealer just screwing me?
    no way..! dealer BS'n you. sometimes I wonder if these spyder techs are even qualified to work on
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Arrow Plugs

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs for all Spyders through 2013

DCPR9EIX (Colder Plug) - RS/GS/RSS

DCPR8EIX - (Hotter Plug) - All RT's (Can be used in all Spyders)

●Info sourced from Bajarons site.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Your dealer is a crook and an idiot, IMO. What plugs did he use? The ones you used are perfectly suitable. I suspect what you did was fail to connect a plug wire correctly, or knock off a vacuum hose or sensor wire. Be sure to use heat sink compound on the plug threads, too. The problem was undoubtedly in your installation, not the plug used...provided the gap was correct. Running on one cylinder, misfiring, or preignition can sound like the engine is ready to come apart. Preignition from running lean or from carbon deposits will, too. The Spyder should not foul spark plugs. If all the dealer's Spyders do so, they are screwing up a lot of them. Causes for repeated plug fouling include bad plug wires (most common), bad coil, or faulty ECM or ECM connection. If your code remains, you still have the original problem. Find another dealer and attack it again. Sorry that yours is such a dud!
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default But?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs for all Spyders through 2013

DCPR9EIX (Colder Plug) - RS/GS/RSS

DCPR8EIX - (Hotter Plug) - All RT's (Can be used in all Spyders)

●Info sourced from Bajarons site.
    Thats where I got the info for the plugs, but it did run worse and he says all he did was put brp recomended plugs in and reset codes, so what does everyone think he realy did to it.
    P.S. I did not get plugs from Bajarons I allready had them in prep for when I needed them, I did get his wires thow.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Thats where I got the info for the plugs, but it did run worse and he says all he did was put brp recomended plugs in and reset codes, so what does everyone think he realy did to it.
    P.S. I did not get plugs from Bajarons I allready had them in prep for when I needed them, I did get his wires thow.
    If you also installed Ron's plug wires, my guess is that you failed to get a connector all the way seated. The boots sometimes make this difficult. The only thing the dealer did differently was possibly install a non-iridium plug. BRP initially specified the cheap version of the plug. That would make no difference. He probably just got the wires seated properly in the process. No difference in iridium vs. regular as far as heat and suitability are concerned, but the iridiums last longer. I hope the crook gave them back to you. I'd still be interested to know exactly what his "recommended" plug was. Unless your plugs were mistakenly not what you thought they were, they were fine to use.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your dealer is a crook and an idiot, IMO. What plugs did he use? The ones you used are perfectly suitable. I suspect what you did was fail to connect a plug wire correctly, or knock off a vacuum hose or sensor wire. Be sure to use heat sink compound on the plug threads, too. The problem was undoubtedly in your installation, not the plug used...provided the gap was correct. Running on one cylinder, misfiring, or preignition can sound like the engine is ready to come apart. Preignition from running lean or from carbon deposits will, too. The Spyder should not foul spark plugs. If all the dealer's Spyders do so, they are screwing up a lot of them. Causes for repeated plug fouling include bad plug wires (most common), bad coil, or faulty ECM or ECM connection. If your code remains, you still have the original problem. Find another dealer and attack it again. Sorry that yours is such a dud!
    Thanks for the input I am haveing my douts about my dealer, they havent even heard of the spyder 5, I thought that was weird for a dealer who has been selling these bikes since the start, problem is I dont have the time to take the bike 200 miles or more to the next dealer especially since I would probably have to leave it for who knows how long for them to work it in, I have no codes at this time and will most likely have to make a desision soon as to weather I want to keep it or not, the whole idea of us getting this bike was to take long trips in another couple years when we are able to retire, and I dont feal I can trust the bike or the dealerships even though I really love rideing the RT.
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    TIPZ units
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input I am haveing my douts about my dealer, they havent even heard of the spyder 5, I thought that was weird for a dealer who has been selling these bikes since the start, problem is I dont have the time to take the bike 200 miles or more to the next dealer especially since I would probably have to leave it for who knows how long for them to work it in, I have no codes at this time and will most likely have to make a desision soon as to weather I want to keep it or not, the whole idea of us getting this bike was to take long trips in another couple years when we are able to retire, and I dont feal I can trust the bike or the dealerships even though I really love rideing the RT.
    I think you will be fine for now. Give it a few 100 mile runs, then stretch it out a bit. If all remains well you should be in for thousands of trouble free miles. Your dealer may be a crook, and poorly informed, but they got you running right with no codes. Try to put this all behind you and start over fresh. When you expect good things, they usually happen.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear you had problems with sparkplug replacement

canister fuel filter vent hose.jpg
    I agree with Scotty, your service mechanic/dealer is a crook to pull that on you; (running on one cylinder makes all kinds of mechanical noise).
    you probably did not push the sparkplug wire boot over top of #1 sparkplug far enough for metal contact to go on sparkplug contact.
    I use a silicone grease inside wire boot so it will slip over top of sparkplug.
    What did your old plugs look like that you removed? Was #2 sparkplug a little white looking? What was your old sparkplugs DCPR8EIX?
    You had the correct Iridium sparkplugs you installed!!
    A good mechanic would have checked the plug wire connection before removing your new Iridium plugs!!
    I feel it is your canister vacuum purge valve not working, causing your RT to run lean.
    Just remove gas canister & put a gas filter inbetween gas tank vent hose & drain hose. Then put white seal tape around threads of bolt & screw it into vacuum purge hose.
    You can see head of bolt in the purge hose, in photo.
    Anyway enjoy your long rides. I put 22,000 miles on my 2011 Spyder RT-S SE5!!!!
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    You bet!

Thanks
    JT
    Hi I also live in Australia and I am very interested in you air filter can you put me on you contact list also
    Thankyou
    Robert
    My will reads "being of sound mind and body,
    I spent it, go make your own!"

VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wtwing15 View Post
    Hi I also live in Australia and I am very interested in you air filter can you put me on you contact list also
    Thankyou
    Robert
    Got you on the list.

Thanks
    JT