Spyder Garage

Default Shifting 1st to 2nd

Hey there,
    Does anyone has issues with a hesitation when shifting from 1st to 2nd?
    araknd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by araknd View Post
    Hey there,

On what??????????

Give us some clues

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

On the red RTS, yes the last couple of times we have gone out. usually weeks in between and cold out... after that initial shift it is normal.

The lag in between 1st and 2nd is severe... like throw you forward and then wonder if the bike died... and then power comes back and off I go.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Hey there,
    It usually happens on the first shift where I'm at higher rpms, rather than slower starts...if that makes sense. I can leave my house and the maximum speed limit is 35, but when I get to the hwy and go from 1st to 2nd it hesitates..a lot, before kicking in.
    araknd

Spyder Garage

We need more info. SE or SM? What rpm are you shifting at? Are you truning at the time? Are there any possible traction issues? Are you holding the throttle steady when you shift? (if an SE).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    On the red RTS, yes the last couple of times we have gone out. usually weeks in between and cold out... after that initial shift it is normal.

The lag in between 1st and 2nd is severe... like throw you forward and then wonder if the bike died... and then power comes back and off I go.
    Yep, that's what I experience.
    araknd

Spyder Garage

I have the semi auto 2012 RT, I was not on a curve and the rpm was about 4.5... Just guessing on that one.
    Last edited by araknd; 02-19-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    araknd

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes - 2013 RT SE

Hello again--I picked up somewhere here that I might be letting off the gas when shifting between 1st to 2nd, you know like you do when shifting a manual transmission car. So, I checked it out; it seems this was my problem. I have been making a conscious effort to keep the throttle on when shifting 1st to 2nd and voila--no problem. Whenever I do have a problem, it's always because I let off the gas. So at least that is explained/solved.

Hi - I'm experiencing difficult with getting my 2013 RT SE to shift from first to second--it's just very hard to do--I really have to hit it and still it sometimes won't go the first time. I also sometimes experience difficult with going from Reverse to Neutral to First.
    Last edited by 1020webster; 04-25-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Hesitation shifting

I read your post and realized that was what I was doing. Having come off a VTX and used to shifting. Only have had it a week so still getting used to it. Glad you asked the question Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

It usually happens on the first shift where I'm at higher rpms, rather than slower starts...if that makes sense. I can leave my house and the maximum speed limit is 35, but when I get to the hwy and go from 1st to 2nd it hesitates..a lot, before kicking in.
    My 2010 RTS with 37xxx mi has periods of stupidity where it will race like crazy from first then slam into second. had the problem a long time ago and guess it's back. Doesn't do it all the time and beginning to think it's MY problem not the bike. But due for a service so will have Cowtown check it out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry if this is a derail but it's kinda related. I'm new to my 2012 RTs SE. I hold the throttle steady from 1 to 2 and shift about 5k. Sometimes it backfires. Is this something I'm doing? Or do I need to adjust timing or something? Any input appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pajara2 View Post
    Sorry if this is a derail but it's kinda related. I'm new to my 2012 RTs SE. I hold the throttle steady from 1 to 2 and shift about 5k. Sometimes it backfires. Is this something I'm doing? Or do I need to adjust timing or something? Any input appreciated.
    Hijacking this thread will not help you. You need to start a new thread and ask you own question.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment