Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 performance, comfort mods

2014 Spyder RT-S SE6/SM6 very close to "truly Sport machine"

Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01
    What I think would really make things interesting is if they offered the RTS as a truly Sport machine. Maybe a sportier set of shocks as standard equipment along with a cool exhaust. They could make the Limited the Cadillac with a softer suspension and all of the chrome.

2014 Spyder RT-S SE6/Sm6 with awesome 1330cc motor needs only a couple of performance mods to make it a truely "Sport machine":
    1. Get rid of cat converter. (have performance muffler shop remove cat, cut exhaust pipe end connections off cat, weld 2" stainless steel exhaust pipe end
    pipes, with hangers; let motor idle for 15 minutes to allow ECM to adjust fuel ratio to new exhaust pipe flow; ryde with big smile on face!!!
    2. Put on Elka shocks.
    3. Put on Russell custom seat with backrest, (my preference).
    Results:
    Noticeable increase in torque/power off idle on up to 6,000 rpm.
    Louder exhaust from stock muffler; (sounds like a racing sport triple wailing sound)!!
    Better fuel milage.
    No more right side heat from cat.
    Very stable cornering/freeway ride.
    Increased comfort.
    Of course "your choice". I prefer blacked out 2014 RT-S.
    Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you building this beauty?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Len at Pitbull Springfield, Mo 417-863-1418

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    OK, I'll bite...

Elkas, for all three corners. Who has the best deal on them.

Stage 5 on the fronts, piggyback rezzy, all the clickers, and threaded collar preload.

Stage 4 rear, piggybacks rezzy, all the clickers, and threaded collar preload.

Retail has these @ $1595 for the fronts and @ $945 for the rear.

Not so certain on pulling the converter, most normal applications have a loss in low end power with a more free flowing exhaust. Plus the sound clips on various places display the more open setups get kind of raspy. Not sure what if anything will be done to the exhaust. Still thinking about it.

As a suspension geek, the Elkas are pretty hot for me. The Race Tech stuff, if available may be an alternative. I was hoping for Öhlins, but that doesn't appear available. The suspension makes sense, if I can find the funds. This motorcycle thing is new to the wife and I need to get the ride as smooth and stable at speed for her.

PK
    Len has the best price on Elka shocks; plus he really knows how to set up Elkas for spot on handling on Spyder RT!!! My stage 5 Elka's front shocks have 325# Eibach springs with 1" spring preload for excellent handling on 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6. (going 70 around a corner posted for 30 mph with Elkas, proof enough for me they help, no nanny).
    You probably don't need stage 5 Elka shocks (front), because Len sets up stage 1+ spot on!! I just like to have Hi speed and Low speed compression dampening adjustments I can change on the road if I want!! The Elkas smooth out the small bumps where you barely feel them; compared to stock shocks feeling more harshness on small bumps but still very good on 2014 RT!
    With cat removed, 2" stainless steel pipe in place, the stock 2014 RT muffler is louder, flowing more exhaust.
    No loss of low end torque because I left the stock muffler on.
    Like I said the sound is like a racing triple cylinder motor wailing sound!!! I love it!!
    I have noticeable seat of the pants stronger torque off idle on up; From 4,000-6,500 rpm it comes on even stronger.
    But is still very quiet running at normal speeds. If you get on the throttle, you will hear the wailing sound!
    May not be for everyone; but I am happy how it runs, and gets rid of the choked up cat.
    The 2014 RT exhaust temp out of muffler with bypass pipe on is 175 deg idling, (but then it has a 3rd cylinder).
    (My 2013 Spyder RT-S with bypass pipe on, out of muffler was 135 deg).
    Probably why I get 32-36 mpg on 2014 RT while still getting on the throttle in every gear.
    Enjoy.
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 03-09-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is that driver's backrest from Russell Day Long? Do you love the seat? I'm so torn on what seat to get. I'm glad you liked my idea of a truly sporty RTS!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you considered doing something with the saddlebags and top trunk to help lighten the load??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Yes that is a Russell; awesome comfortable custom seat for RT

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Is that driver's backrest from Russell Day Long? Do you love the seat? I'm so torn on what seat to get. I'm glad you liked my idea of a truly sporty RTS!
    Russell Day Long seat is the same Russell seat base since 2003 (off my Kawi),& I just transfered it to 2011 Spyder RT-S seat 2 1/2 years ago, had leather cover made.
    Great comfort with the spring/foam wings supporting the thighs. I rode 500 mile days to Spyderfest Springfield, Mo in April 2013 in all day comfort.
    The 2014 Spyder RT Russell seat is probably better than mine.
    They are custom made to fit you & a very adjustable backrest front to back angle, I would suggest leather cover.
    I love my Russell seat after all these years (I would not consider any other seat).
    The Russell backrest just slides in or out of seat mount to remove it completely.
    I am surprised I get 32-36 mpg as I am on the throttle every gear in 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6!! I love the awesome torque motor!!
    Enjoy.
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 02-17-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

find Pitbull power sports in springfield, mo. He is there.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

I would call the store when you get a chance.

417-863-1418

Spyder Garage

Did you have the 2" pipe made or is it avail from someone? I'd like to get rid of the Cat also.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    SpyderJim or others, I searched for Len. Want to use your advice but not sure who to contact. Found one vendor on the home page. Do you have a link or more info who this Len is and where to find him?

Thanks
    PK

Len is the owner of PitBull powersports in Springfield Missouri. (417) 863-1418

cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Muffler shop built it for me

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Did you have the 2" pipe made or is it avail from someone? I'd like to get rid of the Cat also.
    Muffler shop built/bent to fit 2" stainless steel exhaust pipe, with 3 hangers to go in rubber mounts, for me. They had to cut end pipe connections off cat & use them to fit.
    It was only $145, I thought very reasonable. Very noticeable increase in exhaust flow, louder muffler, stronger torque power, (like they should come from factory).
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Default Removing the cat

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    2014 Spyder RT-S SE6/SM6 very close to "truly Sport machine"

Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01
    What I think would really make things interesting is if they offered the RTS as a truly Sport machine. Maybe a sportier set of shocks as standard equipment along with a cool exhaust. They could make the Limited the Cadillac with a softer suspension and all of the chrome.

2014 Spyder RT-S SE6/Sm6 with awesome 1330cc motor needs only a couple of performance mods to make it a truely "Sport machine":
    1. Get rid of cat converter. (have performance muffler shop remove cat, cut exhaust pipe end connections off cat, weld 2" stainless steel exhaust pipe end
    pipes, with hangers; let motor idle for 15 minutes to allow ECM to adjust fuel ratio to new exhaust pipe flow; ryde with big smile on face!!!
    2. Put on Elka shocks.
    3. Put on Russell custom seat with backrest, (my preference).
    Results:
    Noticeable increase in torque/power off idle on up to 6,000 rpm.
    Louder exhaust from stock muffler; (sounds like a racing sport triple wailing sound)!!
    Better fuel milage.
    No more right side heat from cat.
    Very stable cornering/freeway ride.
    Increased comfort.
    Of course "your choice". I prefer blacked out 2014 RT-S.
    Jim
    Hi,
    Just curious, does removing the cat void any warranties?
    What I noticed with my '14 RT is the classic "rotten egg" smell. Which begs the question, does anyone else getting "egged" on? Thanks,
    Ron