Spyder Garage

Default Need Help NOW-3RD Brake Light

I have installed three Custom Dynamics' HMT brake lights...2 on 2010 RTSs and one on a 2013. Today I'm attempting to install one on my 2014 RTS but I can't access enough of the plug. Its always been a tight fit to undo the Spyder's plug and connect the new one. I am able to hook it, but I'm afraid to pull it too hard and break one of the wires. It looks like I'd have enough space if I removed the right taillight assembly. I've removed the two bolts on top of the taillight, but I can't get it out. Are there hidden bolts or tabs? The owner's manual doesn't show how to remove the taillight assembly. I'm not really equipped to tear a whole bunch of the rear end apart. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    I have installed three Custom Dynamics' HMT brake lights...2 on 2010 RTSs and one on a 2013. Today I'm attempting to install one on my 2014 RTS but I can't access enough of the plug. Its always been a tight fit to undo the Spyder's plug and connect the new one. I am able to hook it, but I'm afraid to pull it too hard and break one of the wires. It looks like I'd have enough space if I removed the right taillight assembly. I've removed the two bolts on top of the taillight, but I can't get it out. Are there hidden bolts or tabs? The owner's manual doesn't show how to remove the taillight assembly. I'm not really equipped to tear a whole bunch of the rear end apart. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a third bolt on the bottom behind the black trim panel

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    There is a third bolt on the bottom behind the black trim panel
    ank

​Thanks very much!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We went in with a U-Shaped wire srap...
    We wrapped that around behind the wiring connector, and were able to get things plugged back together by using that as a brace to push against.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It's been said here before, but the assistance can come quick! Thank you jcthorne, stevedfive and Bob Denman. Now, if only I ever get to ride it. Picked it up yesterday with an open trailer and, of course, it was filthy 29-miles later when I got home. The odometer reads (0). Don't they do a short shake-down ride at the factory?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    It's been said here before, but the assistance can come quick! Thank you jcthorne, stevedfive and Bob Denman. Now, if only I ever get to ride it. Picked it up yesterday with an open trailer and, of course, it was filthy 29-miles later when I got home. The odometer reads (0). Don't they do a short shake-down ride at the factory?
    No shake-down ride at the factory. They are shipped partly disassembled so there is no opportunity. Some dealers do so after assembly and PDI, but not many from what I have seen.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine's coming home with all zeroes on the odometers also...
    Test riding in February in the Northeast is often pretty darn difficult...
    I've already discussed the ramifications with my tech, and we've got a plan of attack all figured out!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've already discussed the ramifications with my tech, and we've got a plan of attack all figured out!
    Yep, had all zero's on mine when I picked it up. Just completed safety training and will get my endorsement tomorrow at WADOL

May get to ride it again next month (weather issues) Managed just over 200 miles on a learners permit.

Can't wait for summer time!!!!!! Will probably get the Ron Bar and for sure a laser align. Debating the 3rd brake light---don"t we have
    enough rear lights??? I would possible consider a rear brake modulator attached to a double row of led's on the license plate frame???
    Also considering the front headlight modulator---got figure out out to get it hooked up.

Any way, I got lots of time to figure it all out.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehole View Post
    Yep, had all zero's on mine when I picked it up. Just completed safety training and will get my endorsement tomorrow at WADOL

May get to ride it again next month (weather issues) Managed just over 200 miles on a learners permit.

Can't wait for summer time!!!!!! Will probably get the Ron Bar and for sure a laser align. Debating the 3rd brake light---don"t we have
    enough rear lights??? I would possible consider a rear brake modulator attached to a double row of led's on the license plate frame???
    Also considering the front headlight modulator---got figure out out to get it hooked up.

Any way, I got lots of time to figure it all out.
    You can never have enough rear lights, in my opinion. I highly recommend the HMT 3rd brakelight and the Custom Dynamics/ESI Mudflap lights. The brake light modulator is a good idea, but be sure and get one that has been tested on the Spyder. If you add accessory brake lights, be sure the module will work with them, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good luck with your first ryde .....I've had mine since January 23rd and it's still sittin' in the garage due to our nasty weather. We got 3-6" of snow today (again). Roads are terrible and lots of snow piled everywhere due to the "polar votex". I rode mine from the enclosed trailer they delivered it in into my garage!

Anyway, congrats and hope you get to ryde soon....it will be awhile here -- maybe March, not this month - zero miles on mine, but using the time to add my Bluetooth, HMT brake light, and other fun farkles......
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehole View Post
    Debating the 3rd brake light---don"t we have
    IMO lights at the license plate would be too low to be really effective.

For a HM brake light for my 2013 RT I used a Truflex light strip from Custom Dynamics. Not as pretty as the specially made unit but very bright and a lot lighter on the wallet. I installed a Signal Dynamics Wig Wag brake modulator and wired it to alternate the OEM brake lights with the HM brake light.

I'm guessing the headlight wiring is the same on the '14 as on the '13. Installing a modulator to take advantage of all its features isn't straight forward because of the single filament bulb and the use of a shutter. I plan to post how I did it in a few days in the DIY forum.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    IMO lights at the license plate would be too low to be really effective
    Get the brakelights up as high as you can!

And you STILL haver to ride as if they're all trying to run over you...