Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New Utopia Back Rest

Back rest has been installed by Utopia and is on the way back. I sent it to them on Monday for R&D and today is Friday. Thats quick service. Will be here by tuesday and by then our 6" of snow should be gone. Picture is a little dark but it looks like a nice match of the gray.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Is it adjustable?

price?

thanks

cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Joe, its adj forward and back with a set screw that you can reach back and adj as you ride; I do that on long hauls to give my back a position change. It can manually be adjusted up some if you prefer with holes in the metal bars. I ask him to set mine all the way down as I need max support in my lower lumbar. Even with that I usually wear a kid belt padded in the back.

Look up his web site: Utopia.com

There is diff prices depending on cover material. Vinyl like mine is about $239 I think. Mine was a freebie as it was used for him to R&D the brackets for the '14.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Back rest has been installed by Utopia and is on the way back. I sent it to them on Monday for R&D and today is Friday. Thats quick service. Will be here by tuesday and by then our 6" of snow should be gone. Picture is a little dark but it looks like a nice match of the gray.
    Very The first official aftermarket Farkle for 2014 owners and you knew it would be Utopia ( sorry Ron you almost beat him but you are still in developement right?) an it looks great and adds adjustability that doesn't exist with BRP's. Now for the price....... You know it will be much less than $500. I love mine.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

One tip I have is my Utopia seemed to wobble a little left and right no matter how tight the screw was between the height adjustable pieces. What I did to fix it was 1 small piece of double sided adhesive between the 2 pieces and tighten. It is solid as a rock now.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Very The first official aftermarket Farkle for 2014 owners and you knew it would be Utopia ( sorry Ron you almost beat him but you are still in developement right?) an it looks great and adds adjustability that doesn't exist with BRP's. Now for the price....... You know it will be much less than $500. I love mine.

I'm guessing about $239 for one like mine. Heres the web site but prices are not posted yet for the '14: http://www.utpr.com/

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Utopia makes a great product

I've had Utopia back rests on 2 bikes and they have always been great. Good quality and good service and their prices are realistic. Good to know they have developed one for the new Spyder.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Good to know the Utopia is now available for the new seat!
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Default Back rest now shown on his web site

Just looked and he has some info and price list:

http://www.utpr.com/spyderrt14.html

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

look at the photos and read the instructions carefully.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    look at the photos and read the instructions carefully.

Cruzr Joe
    What doncha know? Maybe I can explain?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Very nice! Utopia is a great company and yes that was fast!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    What doncha know? Maybe I can explain?

Not anything for sure, going to try the factory one on someone else's Spyder first, not sure about the cut in the seat, with the factory back rest you can reclose the hole if you decide to.

Now mind you, I had the Utopia on my other Spyders and really liked them, so I am not saying anything bad about them, but want to try one from the factory first.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

With the 2014 RT, do they make the backrest to slide in? Like the stock backrest. Their site doesn't say. Tom

Spyder Garage

I bought the stock BRP backrest for my 2014 and returned it because it is too far forward for me and wasn't adjustable. Also it retails for $449 compared to the utopia which is $269. I loved my previous utopia.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    I bought the stock BRP backrest for my 2014 and returned it because it is too far forward for me and wasn't adjustable. Also it retails for $449 compared to the utopia which is $269. I loved my previous utopia.

Exactly why i want to try the factory one first, some love it some don't, not sure which one i will be.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They had the 2014 seat when they made the backrest, right? That is a picture of the 2014 RTS seat with the Utopia backrest on it. I love that the Utopia is two toned, unlike BRPs which is only in black. But I liked the BRP as it is larger and seemed to hit me in just the right spot. I had a Utopia on my old Spyder and it always seemed to hit me in the wrong spot.

I do love the price on the Utopia compared to BRP.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    They had the 2014 seat when they made the backrest, right? That is a picture of the 2014 RTS seat with the Utopia backrest on it. I love that the Utopia is two toned, unlike BRPs which is only in black. But I liked the BRP as it is larger and seemed to hit me in just the right spot. I had a Utopia on my old Spyder and it always seemed to hit me in the wrong spot.

I do love the price on the Utopia compared to BRP.
    Ann, Tango: the pic on his web site is my seat that I sent out for him to R&D. He felt he couldn't use the underneath attachment that BRP built into the seat as it was patented so he used the same type brackets he's used all along, including cutting a slot just behind the tab that is on the seat, to install his bar; mainly because if he used the existing BRP holes it would make his seat sit too far forward because of the way it attaches to the backrest. This sounds clear as mud doesn't it? Hard to explain. Will let you all know next week how it works as its on the way and should be here tuesday.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

BRP makes a two tone backrest. Someone here posted a pic of theirs.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 02-16-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    BRP makes a two tone backrest. Some on here posted a pic of theirs.

, yep, they sure do. They make solid or multi colored.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    , yep, they sure do. They make solid or multi colored.

Cruzr Joe
    Where did you find this? The catalog only shows solid black for the driver. Yes, the passenger backrest is two toned.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Just make sure to check you shipment from Utopia carefully that all the parts and pieces are included. Don't wait until you try to install it. Now my bike sits waiting for Utopia to send the rest of the parts to install our backrests.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Just make sure to check you shipment from Utopia carefully that all the parts and pieces are included. Don't wait until you try to install it. Now my bike sits waiting for Utopia to send the rest of the parts to install our backrests.
    Missing one plastic piece is not going to stop you from mounting it. It can be added later.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Where did you find this? The catalog only shows solid black for the driver. Yes, the passenger backrest is two toned.
    ​The black/grey backrest is listed as grey. I have one on a Spyder that hasn't been ridden yet!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    JC....thats my seat show on their web site. The backrest is already installed for me. I've had excellent, and fast, emails with Bob, owner of Utopia. Whats missing on yours?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)