Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Chris,

I purchased my trailer (RT 622) in Az. Paid an astounding 10% sales tax, plus a temp license(plate) fee. Upon regesitering it in Cal and providing proof of sales tax being paid. There were no additional charges, outside of registration.

Buyer be ware. Check with your DMV.

Good luck. Whatever you decide to do.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

we purchased in Alabama and we live in TN. we did not pay the state tax in Alabama because we are not a resident.

btw … if you are AAA member … they do finance. I think our rate was 2.9%.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ivorspyder View Post
    By paying the tax in the State you purchase it exempts you from paying in the State you reside.I bought in Michigan and had to pay their tax.When I got back to Florida all I had to pY was tag registration.Some states charge you and it sounds like Texas does.

ivor
    I have done this several times. Michigan and Florida have a reciprocity agreement. Michigan sends the tax it collects from you to Florida.

Spyder Garage

When I bought my 2012RTS-SE5, I went thru a Credit Union( VT. Federal Credit Union) they gave me a 7% Annual Rate With money down for 7 years.

I would try going to your local credit union. Deannan777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I bought my '08 in Michigan, no taxes there, my '12 in Missouri, no taxes there. In both cases the taxes were paid in Indiana, where they were registered.

john

Spyder Garage

I bought mine in Missouri, paid no tax or lic. in Missouri

Paid tax & lic in home state of Arkansas

Besides ...................... the finance company has no say in where you pay your taxes.

Was looking to buy one in Fl, but would have had to pay FL and AR sales tax, told them Thanks but no Thanks.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Just look at the itemized price and do the math. An OTD price would include tax, license, and title fees, as well as any additional dealer fees. If these are all listed, and the difference equals the differences in the license and title fees from state to state, you are not getting hosed. If they do not add up, you are getting conned. If they are not listed, it was not an OTD price. If they won't put it in writing, run the other way.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

According to a friend who works at CA DMV says: The reciprocity agreement that most states have agreed too, is selling dealer will collect sales tax and license/registration fees for the state that the buyer resides in, at the time of purchase. He says you do not pay any Texas sales tax or license/registration fees. I guess Sheffield has decided to insure you pay all required taxes and fees at the time of purchase. It is their money, so I guess they can.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 02-13-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    According to a friend who works at CA DMV says: The reciprocity agreement that most states have agreed too, is selling dealer will collect sales tax and license/registration fees for the state that the buyer resides in, at the time of purchase. He says you do not pay any Texas sales tax or license/registration fees. I guess Sheffield has decided to insure you pay all required taxes and fees at the time of purchase. It is their money, so I guess they can.
    But I was told it was for Texas and not AZ and the numbers did not add up they were very dif from the two states

Spyder Garage

Whatever the mixup, it is a good thing you found out before you arrived in Texas. If it was me, I would simplify my life and buy locally from Desert Dog in AZ or nearby state, and get to ryding.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 02-13-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

I have purchased two 2011 in Las Vegas and registered in Washington. I did not pay any sales tax or registration to Nevada but paid both to Washington. The dealer gave me temporary plate until I reached Washington where they did not charge sales tax on the entire purchase only the amount above the trade in value In fact, we are trading them for 2014's and the State of Washington is allowing me to pay sales tax and registration by Fax and sending them a check. They give you 30 days to handle the matter. The latest purchase is being done from a different dealer than the first purchase. Suggest you check with a local Credit Union as the one I belong to is giving 1.45 in California. So I have three states involved in the transaction without any problem.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I have checked with B of A (my bank) and they no longer loan on bikes, I checked with both local credit unions and AEA and the Navy and both wanted over 7.9 for a bike loan, cars are much lower.
    Chris, check out Canyon State CU in Phoenix area. Back in September I did a 6 year for only 3.5%. Now it's even cheaper.

Spyder Garage

Live in Colorado bought my spyder in Phoenix Arizona. Paid the sales tax for Arizona licensed it in Colorado. Showed Colorado the paperwork that I had paid taxes in Arizona I was only charge the difference
    Bryan

Spyder Garage

Default taxes out of state

I purchased my spyder from a dealer I Illinois and had to pay taxes there that were higher than the tax rate in texas and could not get the overage back from Illinois

but yes this sucks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wait for Sheffield to come back from snow days before making purchase I've felt with them and never had a problem after Two RT's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Tax & License + interest rate

I am buying my '14 out of state. Like Red Angel I will get a temporary license from dealer, then within 30 day I need to register in WA at which time I will pay WA State Sales Tax and license fee. And this can all be done via fax to make sure it is timely.
    My local credit union offered me 2.5% on new purchase, which I gave a . Then heard about an out of state credit union that can offer membership in other states...just faxed off paperwork and will have a 1.45%/5 year loan with no loan fees. This has to be on a new vehicle purchase and you need a credit rating of 730 or better. Now I realllllly like that... For my way of doing business..if I have a firm OTD price (and I never say yes to a deal, unless I have a firm, documented quote). And the dealer would increase that amount... I would graciously ask them to honor and if they said No will Do...then I say thanks and I'm gone like a rocket.
    As an example when I was shopping for my '14 a WA state dealer insisted that he would have to charge me tax on the full price of the new '14 and I was thinking he just doesn't know cause in WA you only pay tax on the difference between trade-in (which I have already paid tax on when purchased) and new . He let me know CLEARLY that he knew his business and obviously I didn't really know about taxing rules in WA. So thinking I could be in error I called DMV and verified I was correct. When I shared this with dealer...his response was not the way we do it here!!!!! And I thought (well not going to print that )...but said. OK thanks not interested. and went and got a Venti quad breve latte and called Len and Pitbull Powersports and sealed the deal on my new '14 with matching trailer. Thank you Len and Vanessa...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I know what state AZ. buy in TX. have done this before and no big deel untell now. I am ok with the tax in the state that i get it from just don't want to reg in that state and then coming home and doing it all over it gets to be big $$$$$$$ and very dumb
    The dealer should be able to register it in your home state and charge you the fees for your home state. I have done it before.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Not Bait and Switch

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    I used Sheffield and they are kinda flaky I hear.
    If they are shipping it out of state, then you should not have to pay sales tax. If picking it up, then yep you do.
    That being said, Dont know much about YFC, but I know a lot about Louis power sports in Greenville. Call Curtis, and talk to him. I am sure they can get your price, and will shoot straight about the Taxes. At very least since i know they use Sheffield, maybe they can explain whats going on.
    I know YFC is a new dealer and they are in the learning stages (dealer for a month) I doubt this is a bait and switch (but I have been surprised) I would guess this is lack of knowing what banks require. I'm from NY and I know that they (NY) will get the money some how. Az how knows but there again if there is someone not to trust I would think it is the States

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    I know YFC is a new dealer and they are in the learning stages (dealer for a month) I doubt this is a bait and switch (but I have been surprised) I would guess this is lack of knowing what banks require. I'm from NY and I know that they (NY) will get the money some how. Az how knows but there again if there is someone not to trust I would think it is the States
    He is NEW at this???? that is YFC? He said he has been doing this for 25 years around there?????

Spyder Garage

He is NEW at this???? that is YFC? He said he has been doing this for 25 years around there?????
    Anyone know anything about this?

Spyder Garage

This is what I have so far................

They aren't charging any freight, prep, or doc fees at all? I've never seen anyone do that. I'd confirm that and make sure you see that on their paper.

Spyder Garage

we bought ours at rusty palmers in pa., and we live in nj. no problem, and sheffield financed ours. speak with someone else, and i'm sure all will work out.

Spyder Garage

I know what state AZ. buy in TX. have done this before and no big deel untell now. I am ok with the tax in the state that i get it from just don't want to reg in that state and then coming home and doing it all over it gets to be big $$$$$$$ and very dumb
    Can you insist that the dealer deliver it to you in your home state, with your home state being the location of the transaction? Then it will be taxed and registered properly and the lender should be happy???
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Can you insist that the dealer deliver it to you in your home state, with your home state being the location of the transaction? Then it will be taxed and registered properly and the lender should be happy???
    I think I would need to pay big bucks, I am getting the same problem from calif. now also

Spyder Garage

Chris,

I'm not sure where the break down in communication was, but having done business with Troy at Yamaha Funcenter, I would state my reputation that he is not trying to make any extra money from you. I don't know if you are paying cash, financing, trading in, licensing in another state than the one you live in, etc..., but I can tell you that when I lived in California, there was a law (and I'm almost certain still exists) that protected California Vehicle Dealers by discouraging CA residents from purchasing any new vehicle outside of the state of California without paying a huge fee. If I remember right, if you were buying out of state, the vehicle had to have at least 7,000 miles on it and be so many years old in order to avoid any extra fees. I say this because there may be something in the Arizona Law Books that is also designed to discourage their residents from purchasing a vehicle out of state.Also, if you are financing it, different finance companies have different restrictions as well. Now there are several ways you can get around some of these issues, like register it in Texas if you have a "residence" in Texas (there are several people who do this sort of thing, but have main homes elsewhere), but that is something you would have to do your own research on.

All of this being said, if I knew more of these details, I'm sure I could figure out where the break down occurred. I saw your spreadsheet, and I know price is important, but are you only looking for a bottom dollar price, or is it also important to hand your hard earned money over to a dealer that has worked hard for your business. Maybe YFC isn't going to be your dealer of choice, but if you are going to purchase a vehicle in another state other than Arizona, and all things being equal (finance company, trade in, etc...), I'm 95%+ certain that you are going to run into the same fees that Troy had told you about. However, please don't talk bad about someone who, from according to your spreadsheet, was giving you an great deal on the RT. Good, honest people are hard to come by these days, and it's always very disappointing to me when I see the reputation of people like this tarnished over something that was nothing more than misinterpreted words.

I do hope you find your RT, wherever you end up getting it. It really is a wonderful machine, and already in the short two weeks I have had mine, it has brought hours of smiles to me and my better half.
    Last edited by Texas; 02-15-2014 at 01:40 AM.
    -Texas