Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I have a problem…

I called Troy at Yamaha Fun Center in Boerne Texas to set up my purchase of my RTS SE6 and got bad news. He said that he needed to add more cost to the total, now mind you I already have an OTD price from him just yesterday. He said the my Finance company “Sheffield Financial” is telling him that he MUST charge me (I am a out of state buyer) all taxes and state License/Registration for that state before he can let it go. I called Sheffield Financial to ask them and they are a snow day for some time and can’t help me.

What is going on………..

HELP anyone………….
    Last edited by ChrisW; 02-13-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about Texas law, we have plenty of members from that state that will chip in.

I bought my Spyder from CT, I live in MA, using Sheffield and did not have to pay any tax or registration to CT. I paid the tax and registration when I registered in MA. Call your local RMV I'm sure they have dealt with out of state purchases before, they should be able to tell you.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

if this is not changing the price of the unit..it may be so...tags titles licenses etc will vary. Your dealer should have found out before hand from both you and shefield where the roadster was going and if there were other charges involved. Hard to say if you can hold them to the quote without it written down. Hope you can get through and clear things up. Make sure about where they are adding charges...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I called Troy at Yamaha Fun Center in Boerne Texas to set upmy purchase of my RTS SE6 and got bad news. He said that he needed to add morecost to the total, now mind you I already have an OTD price from him justyesterday. He said the my Finance company “Sheffield Financial” is telling himthat he MUST charge me (I am a out of state buyer) all taxes and stateLicense/Registration for that state before he can let it go. I called SheffieldFinancial to ask them and they are a snow day for some time and can’t helpme.

What is going on………..

HELP anyone………….
    This just keeps on getting more fun for you. I can see taxes and registration for the state you are going to register it in (AZ)--but not for Texas in order to let it go out of state. I would recommend checking with AZ DMV and see what their take is on this. It sounds like a ploy to make a couple hundred more bucks for the dealer in Boerne. A double check with Sheffield to get their take is also recommended.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thiis could be an issue...
    As an Out of State purchaser; they might be afraid that you're buying it to just dump into another market somewhere, and skip on the loan...
    The licensing fees might show some "incentive", for you to ride the bike, and pay things back...
    Besides; you knew that you'd be paying all of these fees anyway...

Call Sheffield tomorrow... They should have recuperated from the snowstorm by then!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You may be better off finding different financing anyway. Sheffield wouldn't budge on their 7.9% finance rate so l went to my local credit union and got 2.75% financing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's the rate for seven years.
    A lot of finance outfits don't want to hold the paper for that long...

Spyder Garage

By paying the tax in the State you purchase it exempts you from paying in the State you reside.I bought in Michigan and had to pay their tax.When I got back to Florida all I had to pY was tag registration.Some states charge you and it sounds like Texas does.

ivor

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I called Troy at Yamaha Fun Center in Boerne Texas to set upmy purchase of my RTS SE6 and got bad news. He said that he needed to add morecost to the total, now mind you I already have an OTD price from him justyesterday. He said the my Finance company “Sheffield Financial” is telling himthat he MUST charge me (I am a out of state buyer) all taxes and stateLicense/Registration for that state before he can let it go. I called SheffieldFinancial to ask them and they are a snow day for some time and can’t helpme.

What is going on………..

HELP anyone………….
    I used Sheffield and they are kinda flaky I hear.
    If they are shipping it out of state, then you should not have to pay sales tax. If picking it up, then yep you do.
    That being said, Dont know much about YFC, but I know a lot about Louis power sports in Greenville. Call Curtis, and talk to him. I am sure they can get your price, and will shoot straight about the Taxes. At very least since i know they use Sheffield, maybe they can explain whats going on.

Spyder Garage

I called Troy at Yamaha Fun Center in Boerne Texas to set upmy purchase of my RTS SE6 and got bad news. He said that he needed to add morecost to the total, now mind you I already have an OTD price from him justyesterday. He said the my Finance company “Sheffield Financial” is telling himthat he MUST charge me (I am a out of state buyer) all taxes and state License/Registration for that state before he can let it go. I called SheffieldFinancial to ask them and they are a snow day for some time and can’t helpme.

What is going on………..

HELP anyone………….
    I called DMV in Texas and they don't want me to License in there state and will not give me a plate and if I did pay they will not give the money back.

I called MVD in AZ and if I paid tax in the other state that's ok to them as it's much more than in our state; however, they will charge me for the License and Registration.

I think I am getting jacked some how...as I have in writing all OTD $$$ from everyone.

Spyder Garage

Bought mine in TN and paid KY taxes (where I live) taxes.

Spyder Garage

I called DMV in Texas and they don't want me to License in there state and will not give me a plate and if I did pay they will not give the money back.

I called MVD in AZ and if I paid tax in the other state that's ok to them as it's much more than in our state; however, they will charge me for the License and Registration.

I think I am getting jacked some how...as I have in writing all OTD $$$ from everyone.
    Bait and switch comes to mind.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Remember it's "Troy at Yamaha Fun Center in Boerne Texas"

Spyder Garage

Sounds suspicious to me. BRP uses Sheffield. I think they get a kickback.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Sounds suspicious to me. BRP uses Sheffield. I think they get a kickback.
    Pretty much everyone who arranges financing gets a kickback from the lender. It's called dealer reserve. This is one place where doing the leg work yourself can save some money. The person taking out the loan ends up paying for the kickback.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing shady at all about it; it's the price you pay for letting someone else do the heavy lifting...

Spyder Garage

Yep...best thing to do is get financing at a local credit union, they will deposit the funds in your account, and then you can pay the dealer outright for it.

But, personally, I would also find a different dealer.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I bought my ST-S from a GA dealer last year and I live in NC. I did not have to pay GA tax and I financed thru Sheffield. Sheffield did not ask me to pay GA tax.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Pretty much everyone who arranges financing gets a kickback from the lender. It's called dealer reserve. This is one place where doing the leg work yourself can save some money. The person taking out the loan ends up paying for the kickback.
    I did this with Kris' new Impala. The dealer said he got me the best deal he could at 10.3 %. However he didn't bother to check with the local credit union, of which we are a member. We negotiated with them and got the same length term for 1.9%.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Yep...best thing to do is get financing at a local credit union, they will deposit the funds in your account, and then you can pay the dealer outright for it.

But, personally, I would also find a different dealer.
    I have checked with B of A (my bank) and they no longer loan on bikes, I checked with both local credit unions and AEA and the Navy and both wanted over 7.9 for a bike loan, cars are much lower.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In order to complete the loan, Sheffield or any other financial institution needs a "Clean Title", with the financial institution listed as the lean holder. In order for any state to issue the title the state sales tax needs to be paid. Nothing out of the ordinary going on here, you just need to know what state it will be titled in. This is the hassle of buying out of state with someone else's money. jmho

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    In order to complete the loan, Sheffield or any other financial institution needs a "Clean Title", with the financial institution listed as the lean holder. In order for any state to issue the title the state sales tax needs to be paid. Nothing out of the ordinary going on here, you just need to know what state it will be titled in. This is the hassle of buying out of state with someone else's money. jmho
    I know what state AZ. buy in TX. have done this before and no big deel untell now. I am ok with the tax in the state that i get it from just don't want to reg in that state and then coming home and doing it all over it gets to be big $$$$$$$ and very dumb

Spyder Garage

Having spent most of my time in the military I have done the buying out of state several times. You are usually better off paying the state tax in your state of residence, the selling state does not collect tax in that instance. If you pay tax in the selling state you will typically have to pay any difference in tax once you get to your home state. Some states will charge a fee to bring in an out of state vehicle on top of regular registration and license. Texas, for example, charges $90.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know what state AZ. buy in TX. have done this before and no big deel untell now. I am ok with the tax in the state that i get it from just don't want to reg in that state and then coming home and doing it all over it gets to be big $$$$$$$ and very dumb
    The point I am trying to make is Sheffield is not going to release the money to the dealer until they can get a title showing them as the lean holder. Whatever it takes to accomplish that. I understand your concerns, but I do not know how Texas and Arizona interacts.