View Poll Results: Would you trade your current RS, RSS, ST to a new one if it had the 1300 ACE Motor?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is what I've been waiting for!

16 18.82%
  • No, I think the current V-Twin is a better fit for the sportier models.

23 27.06%
  • I want to see how the 1300 ACE holds up before I decide.

31 36.47%
  • Not sure, I'd have to test ride one first.

15 17.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RS, RSS, ST Spyder

Ok, so the 2014 RT series has the ACE 1300 engine w/6 Speed Transmission. And, by all early reports, it's a big improvement in many ways.

Granted, the RT is a touring machine. And though the ST is at least a semi-touring model, the RS and RSS certainly are not.

So, all of you die hard RS, RSS and ST owners out there that are not yet ready for the Big Kahuna of Touring RT, here is my question. Assuming that the current frame and suspension upgrades did not move you enough to dump your pre-2013 RS or RSS. Or, you're riding a 2013/14 RS, RSS, ST model. Would the ACE 1300 triple be incentive enough to get you to pull the trigger on a new RS, RSS, ST in 2015?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VOTE

I'm never first...............................except tonight, ...Mike

Spyder Garage

In a word... YUP!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Default Bigger yes..!!

would rather beef up the twin. The five speed is great for sport ryding. Jmo and my fun..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Bigger is okay, but when it comes to machines this size it is not always best. They need to turn up the heat on the 998. The aprillias with this motor have much more HP. I know they require less torque, but there has got to be some wiggle room. The nanny change was, at least, an attempt of getting RS owners what they crave. Personally, though, I have only had the nanny kick in once when I was trying to see what it felt like. The ACE motors must have some durability, as they have been using them in sleds for a few years now. So I have no concern about the longevity of those motors. I agree, what might be right for the RT is not necessarily right for the sportier models.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

No

Now granted this is my first bike, but I think it is awesome just as is...with a few mods of course lol

Also I like the tried and true (mostly) of the current engine/drivetrain.

And trading in so early just means taking a big hit from depreciation in most cases.

My bike is just a toy and for fun. It would be cool to trailer places such as the mountains for some riding, but I don't ever see myself "touring" for hours on end with it...I have other vehicles that can do that much more comfortably.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RT owner here... no dog in this fight..(Sorry Snoopy! )
    If you want to take the RS "in another direction"; why keep the touring bike engine? Or Frame???
    Why not let take the RS-S into true sportbike territory:
    No "ESSIE" transmissioon at all...
    A beefed-up Vee-Twin, with a righteous amount of top-end power...
    And a front end that allows the bike to lean in the turns...

(JMHO)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe a Sporty Version

I feel there might be a lot of latitude in terms of how the 1330 ACE could be tuned. The ECU could have a sportier mapping, different camshafts could be used as well as tweaks to the intake and exhaust flow and still be EPA compliant. Moving the RPM and the powerband up while increasing the horsepower wouldn't be all that difficult. Sure there would be some loss of torque on the bottom end but the sporty models aren't cruisers anyhow. BRP could very well use a higher performance version of the ACE in future sport models.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But the extra weight of it, won't help the handling any...

Spyder Garage

Default Sport Models Might Diverge

While that motor/transmission unit is significantly heavier they could conceivably go to weight saving measures in the frame and body. Cast aluminum frames are fairly common in motorcycles such as my Victory Cross Country, even the new Indian. The Yamaha Stratoliner and Honda Goldwing use them as well. Body panels of carbon fiber could also save weight. In order to use the ACE succesfully in a sporting model the weight penalty would be an issue unless weight was removed somewhere else. Maybe a longshot who knows, but the frames were obviously changed to accomodate it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If they just dropped in the 1330 it would not be enough for me to upgrade unless it was specifically tuned for killer 0-75mph acceleration. The RS or RSS needs more power in my opinion. It's plenty fast enough for me on top end but in my opinion it needs more boost between 0 and 75 mph. My sled has more (REV 600 SDI....that's old now) and I wish the Spyder did as well. I'm not sure if the engine needs more power (or different power band) or just some weight saving would work. BRP has done an excellent job shaving weight off their sleds. I'm not sure why they don't do the same with the RS, RSS.

Spyder Garage

Default TWINS

if i were TWINS, i'd buy 2.....
    but YES... i'd be the 1st @ my local dealership to ride off on one....
    however, i think they could squeeze 1500 cc's out of that motor....
    JUST DO IT BRP....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    would rather beef up the twin. The five speed is great for sport ryding. Jmo and my fun..!!
    I agree 100%! There is so much unused power in the vtwin. If we had the 30+ additional hp stock in the vtwin it would make me consider an upgrade.
    If they do the 1330 in the RS then my 12' will stay.
    These machines weigh enough as it is. We don't need a heavier powertrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

If the ST Spyders use the new ACE engine, it would be nice to have a sports mode and a touring/towing mode. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

I would possibly trade my RS 12 for a RS/S 1330 or another engine if the new machine significantly improved 1/4 mile time & top speed in 1/4 mile. Overall, I have found my RS as a great machine & position comfort & performance for both cross country tours & day trips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Prior to 2014, I believe the configuration was done to keep it simple. Unfortunately, the same type of platform for all flavors does not have everyone waving the flags of praise for the product.

If a true sport is to be on the horizon, IMO--it should have its own motor and platform configuration. It should be set up differently from the RS, the ST, and the RT configurations.

I like touring and the RT--so have not answered the poll. The change in engine would not cause me to dump the RT and look at a different model.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default If narrowness were an issue

I'd be prone to think a v-twin would be the ticket for a leaner or tilting version because it is narrow. I think if they don't want to be too wide and not lean or tilt a V-4 would probably fit and could be 1500 to 1800cc whatever. I think an inline four across the frame would just be too wide considering how much wider the body had to be for a triple. Now if it ran lengthwise like in a Rocket III Triumph that would be different and would even lend itself to being a shaft drive.

Spyder Garage

Default Future of the ST??

I'm keenly curious how the 2015 ST will evolve. Will the new side panels on the 2014 fix the heat issues for the V twin? Is BRP quietly gearing up for an ACE 1330 in the ST. Will it's narrower appearance change? Only the Shadow and BRP know.
    A big question will be if the ST remains in the lineup or if it will be re-engineered. Thanks for the poll.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    i'm with you on this one gene. give me the hp that the twin is capable of and keep it with the sportier 5 speed!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default more

for me new RS has to have these in comparison with current model to make me buy a new one:
    1,- twice as much power - for acceleration
    2,- twice as much torque - to overcome negative aerodynamics, for higher top speed and ability to keep up with a pack
    .........limited supercharged edition one seater and i won't think twice, not even waiting for a test drive, may i order one now?

Spyder Garage

Personally I would be more interested in upgraded my 09 GS to the 2015 ST if it had the new motor. If and when I upgrade it will be to the ST for sure!! Time will only tell..
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The ST frame will hold the ACE 1330 but the RS and RSS will not without major change. While the ST is likely I can't see the others getting that engine
    anytime soon.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    The ST frame will hold the ACE 1330 but the RS and RSS will not without major change. While the ST is likely I can't see the others getting that engine
    anytime soon.
    All the frames from 2013+ are the same.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It'll hold the engine; what about the ancillary components?
    The new alternator
    Twin radiators

The bodywork might just be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Ok, so the 2014 RT series has the ACE 1300 engine w/6 Speed Transmission. And, by all early reports, it's a big improvement in many ways.

Granted, the RT is a touring machine. And though the ST is at least a semi-touring model, the RS and RSS certainly are not.

So, all of you die hard RS, RSS and ST owners out there that are not yet ready for the Big Kahuna of Touring RT, here is my question. Assuming that the current frame and suspension upgrades did not move you enough to dump your pre-2013 RS or RSS. Or, you're riding a 2013/14 RS, RSS, ST model. Would the ACE 1300 triple be incentive enough to get you to pull the trigger on a new RS, RSS, ST in 2015?
    I pulled the plug and bought our '13 ST-L at full price of 24k
    That, along with the new Honda Accord means i'm through until one of them is paid off. Don't get me wrong, i'd LOVE a 2015 ST/RSS with the inline 1330...but being financially responsible prohibits me from doing so. Although our '13 is a great reliable ryde, i'd simply take way too much of a loss trading her in or selling her. Most likely, i'd be adding a 3rd Spyder in 2017-2018 since I can't see parting with the 2 we have. I'm a "toy collector" rather than a "toy flipper". I like to buy them and keep them for life

Maybe my 7 year old gets the '08 GS when he's old enough, and i'll get a brand new 20?? RSS with the hovercraft feature for land/water usage!!!