Spyder Garage

Default Any reviews on 2014 RS?

Does anyone have thoughts/reviews on 2014 RS?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

It's the same exact vehicle as the 2013 RS so look for those.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

Haven't seen much ever... Seems to be that since the ST and RT dominated 2013 and the all new RT is doing the same for 2014 we hear little to nothing about the RS/RSS and for that matter the ST. We will have to wait for the weather to change and everyone gets out...if they are as good as our 2012 it will be a great ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanx NetJunkie,
    Were there changes on the 2013 RS? I have a 2012 RS & I can't think of any RS changes that would motivate me to upgrade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by figmotoday View Post
    Thanx NetJunkie,
    Were there changes on the 2013 RS? I have a 2012 RS & I can't think of any RS changes that would motivate me to upgrade.
    Pretty good talk about the RS being revised next year (MY2015). If I had a 2012 I wouldn't go to a 2014. Just not enough difference. I'd hold out a bit longer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Haven't seen much ever... Seems to be that since the ST and RT dominated 2013 and the all new RT is doing the same for 2014 we hear little to nothing about the RS/RSS and for that matter the ST. We will have to wait for the weather to change and everyone gets out...if they are as good as our 2012 it will be a great ryde...

Hi Chupaca,

I totally agree. My 2012 rocks & no mechanical/electrical probs - knock on wood - for me. It is the best performing machine that I've rode over the years. I've rode numerous brands & types of machines.

A while back as we were out riding, a good buddy of mine who rides a HD asked me if my can am spyder had heat problems. I said no. He said he had heard that can am spyders had a lot of bad heat problems. I told him I didn't know about heat problems. I was interested, so I checked this website & found numerous threads about heat problems.

What are your thoughts on quality & performance? I always wonder if we get the complete picture on quality on rider forums. Possibly, we read/get high percentages of quality & performance problem postings & we get/read low percentages of postings on positive reports about quality & performance. I'm not downplaying the heat problems that others have had with their machines; I'm interested in how owner & non-owner perspectives about quality & performance of specific machines become introduced, shaped, & reinforced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The "heat" problems were pretty much limited to the 2013 RT and ST. There were rider comfort issues with heat on earlier RTs, specifically heat on the right foot, but I don't know of any on the RS.

I don't think you've heard any reports on the 2014 because those that have them are too busy riding them to be bothered with posting about them! There was a lady in Amman, Jordan who posted her picture on her new 2014 RSS on the GOS Facebook page. She was enjoying the heck out of it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanx NetJunkie,
    the motor in the 13 and 14 are the same as the rt's motor. the 12 had the extra 6 hp over the new ones!

Spyder Garage

No 2014 RS reviews that I am aware of so far. The RS pretty much remains unchanged. The good side, it has been pretty much trouble free from day one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The 2008-2012 GS/RS were 698 and in 2013 the weight increased 100 Pounds per BRP.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I purchase the 2014 rss they are putting it together as we post, will let you know how they are, didn't want to wait to see if they would put the 3 cylinder in the rss in 2015 spyder mybe they will mybe they won't, i want to ride this year,I been not riding for 1 1/2 years after a accident I had on my busa,I am all healed up now and rr\eady to ride
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

ssmcclub,
    Are you getting the color scheme that you have as your signature picture?
    I switched from 2 wheel to 3 wheel a couple years back; my knee told me it was time. My 2012 RS is the best (quality & performance) machines and one of the best rides that I had through the years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

yes red and black like the one on my post
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

very cool color scheme & enjoy when you get it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The "heat" problems were pretty much limited to the 2013 RT and ST. There were rider comfort issues with heat on earlier RTs, specifically heat on the right foot, but I don't know of any on the RS.

I don't think you've heard any reports on the 2014 because those that have them are too busy riding them to be bothered with posting about them! There was a lady in Amman, Jordan who posted her picture on her new 2014 RSS on the GOS Facebook page. She was enjoying the heck out of it.

I have a 2012 RS SE5 and getting close to 10k, I feel the heat if the temp is over 85 degress + I am in stop and go traffic. Your going to feel the heat, If its 95 or over and your in stop and go traffic, it gets pretty uncomforable. I also have the spyderpop heat mods that made very little differece. Over all the Spyder has been bullet proof. I have a little oil dripping due to the fact that I think the dealer put to much oil in and you have to keep the battery on a tender or it will go dead and faster if it is cold weather.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool 2012 RSS like a rock.

My 2012 RSSSM5 is a bullet proof ride and quality is top notch with no heat problems this bike is so reliable that I wouldent even consider opting for a newer modle,Also I prefer the 998 twin even if BRP was to upgrade to the triple I wouldent trade up.With all my mods for comfort and performance I couldent be happier,on a side note my brother has a 2008 Heritage Softail and I can smoke him every time in a light to light run.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    My 2012 RSSSM5 is a bullet proof ride and quality is top notch with no heat problems this bike is so reliable that I wouldent even consider opting for a newer modle,Also I prefer the 998 twin even if BRP was to upgrade to the triple I wouldent trade up.With all my mods for comfort and performance I couldent be happier,on a side note my brother has a 2008 Heritage Softail and I can smoke him every time in a light to light run.

Totally agree mcaccamise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Default few changes

Thanx NetJunkie,
    From what I have read the 13's went to a throttle by wire[like most new cars],as opposed to a cable .The front end geometry was changed for flatter,more controlled cornering,frame was changed probably to accommodate any new engines.The front wheel went from 14" to a 15" and front fenders changed on some trim levels.I have also noticed the fuel recommendation went from 87 to min. 91.The weight apparently was up as mentioned here but that could be partially from a more accurate listing on BRP's part.HP changed as well a couple of years back but the torque is now lower in the powerband and up from the 106hp rated motor.I have owned a 08GS problem free with 52000km from new and will probably replace it with a new RSS or STS this year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting Read, Thanks

Informative too.. I'll just keep my 2012 RS... if I can ever find the time to ride it... can you believe less than 20 miles? yea I said that..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    It's the same exact vehicle as the 2013 RS so look for those.
    Actually not, the VSS has supposedly been "recalibrated". I'd like to hear from anyone who's had a chance to compare, hopefully the new VSS calibration let's the rider get a bit more freedom to experiment with the adhesion limits.
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

My 2012 RSS has the Ron bar and podium shocks and as hard as I've ridden with the proper adjustments you'll never meet or see miss nany, I've ridden it like I stole it with out a glitch.
    Proper home maintenance with a little love and care and and she will always get me home.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Around town I still prefer my 08 GS SM over my ST-S SE. The ST feels a little more planted on the highway, a lot due to the extra weight I think. The only thing I wish my GS had is the Brembo's, they are great.