Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Setting the cruise control on my RT-s

Hi everyone,so I'm riding along the highway and I want to give my hand a rest and we also have speed cameras , I just can't get my cruise to lock in, I did it once and it was fine,but I think it was more luck than anything else.
    Tried sliding it across, don't really understand this thing about pushing it in or up. I get the sign up on my display saying "Cruise control on" but my RT slows down when I take my hand off the throttle, can't seem to find a vid to show me how, any offers?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cambello View Post
    Hi everyone,so I'm riding along the highway and I want to give my hand a rest and we also have speed cameras , I just can't get my cruise to lock in, I did it once and it was fine,but I think it was more luck than anything else.
    Tried sliding it across, don't really understand this thing about pushing it in or up. I get the sign up on my display saying "Cruise control on" but my RT slows down when I take my hand off the throttle, can't seem to find a vid to show me how, any offers?
    The cruise on our 2014 RTs is similar to a car. When you slide the bar switch outboard, it arms the cruise control. Using the throttle you hold or find the speed you want and then push the tang on the outboard positioned slide bar switch down to "set" the speed. If you bump the tang up or down it increases or decreases speed to fine tune what your cruise speed is.

If you slow by tapping the brake or any other means that disengages the cruise control, except a full turning off of the system, once underway or ready to resume the previous speed, you can bump the tang up (opposite how to set the speed) and you will activate the speed resume function which will bring you back to the last programed speed value.

The machine is still new to us, so I am sure others will have more to add.

PK

Spyder Garage

Once its push to the right,Usually it only takes a slight tap down on the set switch to set it, and on pre 2014 models You have to keep the RPM above 3000 RMP or the cruise will disengage, I use my cruise at all times possible.Good luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Be sure you are not unknowing touching the brake pedal

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Combination of all

I think I've been doing a combination of all above but not in the right order. I'll try it all out tomorrow and report back fingers crossed.
    THanks Guys

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Pause. One button that would be a nice addition. Much prefer it over bumping the brake pedal, or turning the cruise off.

Pause/resume.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always leave my cruise in the On position then I just need to set it when I want it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default cruise

i don't know about the 14's but on the 13's the brake lights have a habit of staying on and that causes the cruise control not to work, so when i can't get mine to work i just check the brake
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good point, John...
    If you've got your brakelights hanging on for any reason; that shuts down any usage of the cruise control...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i don't know about the 14's but on the 13's the brake lights have a habit of staying on and that causes the cruise control not to work, so when i can't get mine to work i just check the brake
    Have your dealer adjust that switch so the brake lights don't come on without pressing the pedal.....
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    Have your dealer adjust that switch so the brake lights don't come on without pressing the pedal.....
    Or trim the rubber bumper pedal release stop. If memory serves me that's what some did, or had done.

Spyder Garage

Default cruise control

I think I've been doing a combination of all above but not in the right order. I'll try it all out tomorrow and report back fingers crossed.
    THanks Guys
    depending on the speed you have to be in the proper gear so if you want to set the cruise at 40 you cant be in 5th little trial and error and you will be just fine

Spyder Garage

Default i tried

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    but the dealer said it is a common thing on the 13's
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Common or not, it is a fault that needs to be corrected.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If its common they should be very good at fixing it!
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise

Had the same problem on our '12, dealer replaced the cruise switch, still initially had issues, but seems to work much better the more I use it. Not sure why but it does.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Confused.com

Quote Originally Posted by chipshotin View Post
    depending on the speed you have to be in the proper gear so if you want to set the cruise at 40 you cant be in 5th little trial and error and you will be just fine
    Right then I'm really confused, are we saying here that you have to have the engine running at 3500 or above to set the cruise. But it also depends on what gear your in? so can I set the cruise if I'm in 4th driving at 40mph, can I set the cruise if I'm in 3rd running at 40 mph ?

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Right then I'm really confused, are we saying here that you have to have the engine running at 3500 or above to set the cruise. But it also depends on what gear your in? so can I set the cruise if I'm in 4th driving at 40mph, can I set the cruise if I'm in 3rd running at 40 mph ?
    Personally speaking. RPM's at or above 3750 to set cruise control. Pre '14.

Function wise. Shifting up or down when in cruise automatically cancels it.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 02-10-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT did this also. The problem was that the rubber stop on the brake pedal was too thick. I cut the thickness in half and the problem is solved. I believe there might be a bulletin from BRP about this issue also.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Game "SET" and match

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I always leave my cruise in the On position then I just need to set it when I want it.
    So this weekend I decided to sort this issue out, Now when I bought the Spyder I noticed that the Cruise was in the on position,now I know why. So it is a trial and error thing but all your advice was correct. I kept the revs up 3750 and above and then messed around with the button till it latched in. But then I noticed the screen,,,,, SET,,,,, which comes on when cruise is locked,,,,sorted Cheers Guys!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Personally speaking. RPM's at or above 3750 to set cruise control. Pre '14.

Function wise. Shifting up or down when in cruise automatically cancels it.
    According to the 2013 Owner's Manual the only speed requirement is to be above approximately 40 km, or 25 mph. Nothing about RPM, or which gear you need to be in.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    According to the 2013 Owner's Manual the only speed requirement is to be above approximately 40 km, or 25 mph. Nothing about RPM, or which gear you need to be in.
    Here you. On the SE staying at or above 3750 insures constant and solid clutch engagement. Just a tip passed on to me by BRP techs last year in Durango.

Personally, I never use cruise unless I'm on a major highway and running at least 60 MPH.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    In that particular place, the manual is wrong . . . unless you are in 1st gear. The cruise control is dependent upon RPMs and if you are not turning sufficient RPMs it will not stay set.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    In that particular place, the manual is wrong . . . unless you are in 1st gear. The cruise control is dependent upon RPMs and if you are not turning sufficient RPMs it will not stay set.
    The manual does state that pulling in the clutch on the SM, or the clutch slipping on the SE, will cancel the cruise set. So I take it experience, as Jerbear says, shows that the 3750 RPM is the threshold that ensures the clutch does not slip. I would say the manual is not so much wrong but that it doesn't give the full story. In contrast to Jerbear, I use cruise almost anytime I'm running at a set speed for more than 2 minutes!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-18-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)