View Poll Results: What Octane do you use?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll

35 24.82%

21 14.89%

41 29.08%

57 40.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BB1 Roadsta View Post
    Why???

He works for the government and we're gonna have to start registering the fuel octane we use. Then they are going to limit how much we can buy at a time. Then they'll start in places like NYC making it illegal to buy period....then all the hybrid people will push to try to have our constitutional right to buy gas banned from the US.

What is the world coming too??

Spyder Garage

Okay, backing away from the keyboard...

Spyder Garage

Default WHAT GAS DO YOU USE?

WHAT'S ETHANOL FREE?
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No added ethanol. I believe that winter blends contain ethanol, at least in California.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have any kind of idea where I could find 93 and/or ethanol free in California?
    Anywhere at all?

I've not been able to find it. ...and I was told that it is too dangerous to make it in my garage...
    Anyone know where I can get either 93 or ethanol free in the People's Republic of California?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Underground

Not in Cali unless they are breaking the law.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I'd move.

Spyder Garage

Default On a side note

You need to read the details to be sure the station is current.
    http://pure-gas.org/

Spyder Garage

Sorry, it's pure-gas.org now.....

BlytheUNBRANDED91Parker Oil [760-922-7600]391 S Main StN33.60389 W114.59935details
    BradleyUNBRANDED89Lake Nacimiento Marina [805-238-1056]10625 Nacimiento Lk DrN35.78930 W120.87805details
    BradleyUNBRANDEDLake San Antonio Marina [805-472-2313]74255 San Antonio RdN35.81536 W120.97960detailsCorningUNBRANDED93Northern Lights Energy [530-824-3204]1819 Solano StN39.92771 W122.19008details
    EurekaUNBRANDED91 92Renner Petroleum [707-443-1645]1100 W 14th StN40.79426 W124.18354details
    FortunaUNBRANDED91Renner Petroleum [707-725-2364]2435 Newburg RdN40.59170 W124.14071details
    GarbervilleUNBRANDED91Renner Petroleum [707-923-3380]76 Bear Canyon RdN40.10976 W123.79529details
    LeggettUNBRANDED91Leggett Patriots [707-925-6099]67670 Hwy 271N39.86477 W123.71492details
    ReddingUNBRANDED93Northern Lights Energy [530-241-2196]2340 Wyndham LnN40.56153 W122.38740details
    San DiegoVP RACING100Crown Point Auto Center [858-866-0230]3804 Ingraham StN32.78875 W117.23749details
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmKidd View Post
    You need to read the details to be sure the station is current.
    http://pure-gas.org/

No where near me.

What do you all think the ethanol is doing to you?

If you're constantly running fresh gas through your bike what is it effecting?

Ive heard about it deteriorating fuel lines and such, but that's over about 8-10 years.

What else?

Spyder Garage

The Octane number a figure indicating the antiknock properties of a fuel, based on a comparison with a mixture of isooctane and heptane. I use recommended when i can.

Spyder Garage

Ethanol can cause a lean condition. Not much but enough to cause popping on deceleration.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I'd move.
    I did...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

A few years ago I did a trip from east Tennessee to San Diego and back. Consecutively ran several tanks of each octane starting with regular. All tanks were ethanol (up to 10%). Regular and mid grade mileage ran very close to the same with a slight edge to Mid-Grade fuel. Premium consistently got me about 2-3 mpg better. I did not count mileage with significant city or non-freeway driving.

I repeated this same process going back to east Tennessee. Started with regular for about 1/3 of the trip and ended up running premium the last 1/3 with the same results. It's about 2,200 miles one way so we are talking 5-6 fill-ups for each fuel grade each way.

We know that the Spyder has the ability to run on regular fuel as the computer will retard ignition timing to prevent knock. Though this will work, it is not ideal as retarded ignition reduces power and mileage. If you run regular fuel in conditions where the computer does not need to retard ignition timing to prevent knock then you probably will not see an improvement in fuel mileage or power running premium fuel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A few years ago I did a trip from east Tennessee to San Diego and back. Consecutively ran several tanks of each octane starting with regular. All tanks were ethanol (up to 10%). Regular and mid grade mileage ran very close to the same with a slight edge to Mid-Grade fuel. Premium consistently got me about 2-3 mpg better. I did not count mileage with significant city or non-freeway driving.

I repeated this same process going back to east Tennessee. Started with regular for about 1/3 of the trip and ended up running premium the last 1/3 with the same results. It's about 2,200 miles one way so we are talking 5-6 fill-ups for each fuel grade each way.

We know that the Spyder has the ability to run on regular fuel as the computer will retard ignition timing to prevent knock. Though this will work, it is not ideal as retarded ignition reduces power and mileage. If you run regular fuel in conditions where the computer does not need to retard ignition timing to prevent knock then you probably will not see an improvement in fuel mileage or power running premium fuel.
    So is there a knock sensor in the Spyder? I assume their is but am I right?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    So is there a knock sensor in the Spyder? I assume their is but am I right?
    Yes. You're right.

I'd say that every modern vehicle with a computer has anti-knock programming. Pre-ignition (which causes knock) also greatly increases harmful emissions so it's pretty much a standard component these days.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Yes. You're right.

I'd say that every modern vehicle with a computer has anti-knock programming. Pre-ignition (which causes knock) also greatly increases harmful emissions so it's pretty much a standard component these days.

I thought we all agreed not to tell Dave he was right about something?

Spyder Garage

It Recommends 91 with a minimum of 87. Try to use Top Tier gas. I used to like Texaco until it moved out of SC it had Techron in it probably the best fuel system cleaner on the market. If you look at the bottles you can see many major Auto companies rebrand it and call it their own. It is a good thing to add a few ounces every now and then.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
    Your manual is out of date. Look at the certification sticker under the seat. It is 91 MINIMUM on the 2013s.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Your manual is out of date. Look at the certification sticker under the seat. It is 91 MINIMUM on the 2013s.
    It is a BRP service manual for a 2013 how can it be out of date?

pg 59 of the owners manual says the same thing as I quoted. 87 min recommended 91.
    Last edited by Magdave; 02-10-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Chevron Premium here. I know it's expensive but the engines just run better on it. Gas is getting so bad out here I am afraid to put anything else in it. That ethanol crap is an engine killer...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

For the Spyder, running ethanol fuel in it will not do any harm. The harm with ethanol is with the older bikes that used rubber seals. Ethanol will harden the rubber and eventually leak. Newer engines like the Spyder use neoprene gaskets that are not affected by the alcohol in the ethanol. Any newer 4 stroke engine runs fine on it. 2 stroke engines are another thing. Ethanol runs hotter and it will kill a small engine.

Spyder Garage

It is a BRP service manual for a 2013 how can it be out of date?

pg 59 of the owners manual says the same thing as I quoted. 87 min recommended 91.
    Always go with the safety and instruction stickers that are actually on the vehicle. Those are regulated, inspected and required by state and in some cases federal government and must be accurate, whereas manuals are not under the same scrutiny and can sometimes have typos and errors as a result.

Spyder Garage

I use the premium grade which is usally 91 around here. What I wonder is how much regular fuel is still in the hose after the last person filled up? 1 quart? More?

Spyder Garage

91 Octane normally. When out West we use lower when at mountain elevations.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    For the Spyder, running ethanol fuel in it will not do any harm. The harm with ethanol is with the older bikes that used rubber seals. Ethanol will harden the rubber and eventually leak. Newer engines like the Spyder use neoprene gaskets that are not affected by the alcohol in the ethanol. Any newer 4 stroke engine runs fine on it. 2 stroke engines are another thing. Ethanol runs hotter and it will kill a small engine.
    I Know the seals and gaskets are probably OK. What worries me is the higher heat produced, pre-ignition, gummed up fuel systems, higher Nitrogen levels that will be produced, thus greater smog levels, the water accumulation that ethanol puts in the fuel system, and the highly corrosive nature of the stuff. It's garbage, and if they force us to try and use more than a 10 per cent blend, which is bad enough, things will get significantly worse.

So I stick with Chevron Premium and I treat with Star Tron and have had good results. I'm not saying this is what everyone should do, this is just what I do and I am having good luck with it.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S