Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

It all depends on what you need and want. I found out years ago that on appliances I buy the model with the functions that I only use. Why pay extra for all the bell and whistles and doo dads if you don't use them. My washer and dryer are basic, my dishwasher is basic, and my microwave is basic. Costs lots of $$$ for stuff you don't use.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post

2014 Spyder RT-S SE6/Sm6 with awesome 1330cc motor needs only a couple of performance mods to make it a truely "Sport machine":
    1. Get rid of cat converter. (have performance muffler shop remove cat, cut exhaust pipe end connections off cat, weld 2" stainless steel exhaust pipe with hangers to end
    pipes; let motor idle for 15 minutes to allow ECM to adjust fuel ratio to new exhaust pipe flow; ryde with big smile on face!!!
    2. Put on Elka shocks.
    3. Put on Russell custom seat with backrest, (my preference).
    Results:
    Noticeable increase in torque/power off idle on up to 6,000 rpm.
    Louder exhaust from stock muffler; (sounds like a racing sport triple wailing sound)!!
    Better fuel milage.
    No more right side heat from cat.
    Very stable cornering/freeway ride.
    Increased comfort.
    Of course "your choice". I prefer blacked out 2014 RT-S.
    Jim
    Don't forget "Go on a diet and lose 300 pounds." Sorry, a touring machine will never really be a "sport machine". The Spyder is a spirited performer and can be made even better in some ways, but it doesn't even crack into the "sport tourer" category, IMO. When it will do 0-60 in 5 seconds and run 140 on the top end, I may reconsider my position.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

For me it boils down to chrome and Garmin--add $2,000 more. This go around, I like the color selection offered for the RT-S version and the two tone seat. I currently own the 2010 RT-S--which came with virtually everything--plus chrome colored trim, and a 2011 A & C which I got a good deal on. I can live with either the bling or non-bling version. This time around, I was looking at price as being part of the factor.

If not buying the LTD version will cause remorse, then by all means go for it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Echoing most of the sentiments above.......

For me, I love the blue with the blacked out accents, so it was an easy decision.

My Spyder is an SE5, so automatic just like the limited. Really the only differences are the blackout vs chrome, no GPS, and no luggage. It wasn't a huge price difference. Neither do I think it will make a huge difference if/when I sell it down the road. If I want to add the Nav and the luggage, I can certainly do so. Like others, I use my phone and Sena BT headset for phone, nav, music, etc. I wouldn't stress about "which model is right to buy" between the two.

Which one are you most happy visualizing yourself on? THAT is the question to focus on.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    As I said, I'd get the GPS from Garmin and get the installation kit from BRP.
    My take, after just doing it. Buy the BRP GPS installation kit, maybe even for less $$ on eBay. Buy whatever GPS you want and a RAM mounting cradle to fit, along with whatever you need to connect the cradle to the GPS mount. Buy a stereo extension cable and an inline USB power adapter. Connect the GPS to the radio via the BRP GPS harness and the two other cables, and voila, you have GPS voice instructions thru the radio, just like the OEM.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" tablet with Sygic GPS app for my GPS. I'll post some photos and instructions in a week or so when I'm finished getting all the mods done on my '14 RT.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Don't forget "Go on a diet and lose 300 pounds." Sorry, a touring machine will never really be a "sport machine". The Spyder is a spirited performer and can be made even better in some ways, but it doesn't even crack into the "sport tourer" category, IMO. When it will do 0-60 in 5 seconds and run 140 on the top end, I may reconsider my position.
    About the best that you can hope for, is the equivalent of a 1969 Chrysler Town and Country Station Wagon equipped with the "Ground-Pounder" 440...
    VERY entertaining; but certainly NOT sporty!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Spyder RT-S vs 2014 Spyder RT-L comparison

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Scotty, Read my lips: We are not talking motorcycles here.
    A comparison between 2014 Spyder RT-S vs 2014 Spyder RT-L !
    I have hands on experience ryding my new 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6!! You are looking at a photo, in snow country!!
    You have NO Clue the performance of triple 1330 awesome motor, major handling improvements of a new 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6;
    (by adding stage 5 Elka shocks, cat bypass pipe, etc. even more).
    My 2014 RT-S will take a posted 30 mph corner at 70 mph, no nanny. That is "sport" handling, performance improvements on 2014 Spyder RT-S.
    Rude comments such as: "Go on a diet and lose 300 pounds" have no place on a help blog.
    End of subject.
    Enjoy.
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 02-19-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did not like the plastic chrome on my -11 nor did I like it on the -14... So I bought a S model where the plastic chrome is now plastic brushed alloy and the wheels are black. I did not want bluetooth either and love the black wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default LTD or RTS

Half your luck in the States guys

The incoming LTD to Australia you can have in Silver, Silver or Silver

I'm after the Cognac, it's only available in the RTS here but the wife want's chrome wheels

Looks like RTS and chase some wheels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    My take, after just doing it. Buy the BRP GPS installation kit, maybe even for less $$ on eBay. Buy whatever GPS you want and a RAM mounting cradle to fit, along with whatever you need to connect the cradle to the GPS mount. Buy a stereo extension cable and an inline USB power adapter. Connect the GPS to the radio via the BRP GPS harness and the two other cables, and voila, you have GPS voice instructions thru the radio, just like the OEM.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" tablet with Sygic GPS app for my GPS. I'll post some photos and instructions in a week or so when I'm finished getting all the mods done on my '14 RT.
    I am curious to see how your installation compares to ours. Wife wanted GPS, which is fine and had us work the BRP Garmin and harness into the deal. I did the install myself. The install was not difficult, but the instructions do not show the install as it regards to a 2014 in my opinion. The 2 supplied short extension cables they show needing to be installed appear to be for previous years and not a 2014. This mistake in the BRP instructions had me looking for a mating connector that did not exist.

FWIW, yes, our BRP came with the Garmin, it also has the mount for the steering. Beyond the steering mount, there was a full set of oem Garmin mounts for other applications, a set of Ram mounts which as mentioned could be easily used if a proper cradle and Ram ball were purchased for different electronics or other item to mount.

Regarding the BRP Garmin harness. I was not to excited about the suggested wire harness route down the fuel tank area on the right side. The harness length was a bit on the short side for a true plug and play, and would have all wires including power and ground lay against the steel fuel tank. I relocated the location of the oem chassis connector location to allow the harness to follow the existing oem harness away from the fuel tank and along a lower location on the right side.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Monday Came and Went

Well it's Tuesday, Monday came and went what's the verdict?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Scotty, You are comparing Apples to Oranges. We are not talking crotch rocket motorcycles here. 2014 Spyder RT-S vs 2014 Spyder RT-L comparison!
    This is what Spyder Ann01 mentioned:
    "What I think would really make things interesting is if they offered the RTS as a truly Sport machine. Maybe a sportier set of shocks as standard equipment along with a cool exhaust. They could make the Limited the Cadillac with a softer suspension and all of the chrome."
    You have NO Clue the performance of triple 1330 awesome motor, handling improvements of a new 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 by adding stage 5 Elka shocks, cat bypass pipe, etc.
    My 2014 RT-S will take a posted 30 mph corner at 70 mph, no nanny. That is "sport" handling, performance improvements on 2014 Spyder RT-S.
    End of subject.
    Enjoy.
    Jim
    Crotch rockets are today's sport machines, like it or not. EWverything else is just pretending. I didn't have them in mind, though. The sport tourers of today...or even 15 years ago are far more spirited than the Spyder RT can ever hope to be. I'm talking BMW R1200RT, K1600, Yamaha FJR1300, and on down the line. The Spyder RT fills its niche well, and the ACE1300 is certainly an improvement for a tourer...but a sport bike it will never be. As you said...apples and oranges. You can't make a sport bike out of a touring machine, you can only improve the touring machine's performance until it suits your needs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Another slant on a never ending ?

If you want the bling or ego trip for bragging rights. Go for the RTL then find a nice clean dry shelf in the garage for the never going to use items.

If $$$$ is an issue then go for a lesser Spyder. Remember that one of the differences between models beside $$$$ is bling and seating position or at least it used to be!

When we bought our RTL it was seating position, then storage space (boy did we blow that one) features like lights, cover for weather, color and a little bit of bragging rights and resale value.

The key point has to be WHAT DO YOU WANT TO END UP WITH? we can sit around the keyboard all day and night long and feed you opinions about what we think is right and wrong with every Spyder ever made. All you get out of it is words and more mental chaos to muddle through.

Good of luck and don't wind up with a headache or a Harley!!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    don't wind up with a headache or a Harley!!!
    Aren't they synonymous?
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    Well it's Tuesday, Monday came and went what's the verdict?
    he bailed from all the comments

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Comparability for bags and seat

I believe I read that the Corbin seats will fit all years of the RT.

will the luggage from a 2010 fit a 2014? Looking for reasons to go for the RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes; they will...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

sorry to hear about your dilema. I have had both. I now have a 2012 Rt ltd It has everything you could possibly want in accesseries as well as custom luggage if you are in to travelling. Seating is much better for the passenger. A little more expensive but if you start doing mods, it soon adds up.
    Good luck with your decision
    Safe drive
    Mollyo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mollyo View Post
    sorry to hear about your dilema. I have had both. I now have a 2012 Rt ltd It has everything you could possibly want in accesseries as well as custom luggage if you are in to travelling. Seating is much better for the passenger. A little more expensive but if you start doing mods, it soon adds up.
    Good luck with your decision
    Safe drive
    Mollyo

What is it about the limited seat that makes it more comfortable for the passenger?