Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I can't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I know I am old enough to know better but I am still too young to care. I also know it can be a very sensitive subject but I gotta ask.
    When I am riding solo I like to "play". After years of riding snowmobiles I am now able to get the same feeling from my spyder. I like to ride hard when I am out on the back roads, and was wondering how many of my fellow riders bought an RS or RS-S to get that rush that cannot come from cruising at 55mph.
    I am also wondering if anyone believes there is a chance that the RS-S will get a higher HP motor in an effort to increase it's sales. When I bought mine I thought that 106hp would be great, but alas I think I could use some more. I will probably catch for starting this thread, but I like to ride with people whom share my riding style, and hopefully people of like mind will speak up.

Just sayin'...........
    I'm with you, I ride my bike hard only when I can but I did not purchase the ST-S to drive 5 miles under the speed limit, I push it hard but at the same time I know I have kids at home, always thinking about the knuckleheads out there..be save I'll ride with you anytime...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    ................now you've done it bob. that's a big can of worms you have opened.
    if an rt was my only option, i'd buy another bagger.
    I know!

I'm normally such an agreeable ESSOBEE, that it felt good to stir the pot this time!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let's see...
    It took six whole years, before you got the best engine available... (for the time!)
    If you try to hook a trailer up to your bikes; somebody at BRP faints
    And you have to actually BUY different windshields, if you want to change the height; we just hit the horn button a few times!
    KTM has an 1195 V-twin that makes 150 Hp, and 92 ft/lbs of torque, and who builds this motor? Oh that's right another Austrian company by the name of Rotax . The 1330 does not impress me. With that sixth gear I believe you will get 1-2 miles more per gallon than you would with the 990. The torque increase will help with the RT's weight issues, but the increased displacement will also increase the volume of fuel and air pushed through the motor.

As for the trailer........I can carry all I need on my spyder. If I have to take that much luggage; I am not going out for a ride, I am headed to a destination.

I don't need a windshield. I also don't need a bunch of luxury options to enjoy the ride. I need fuel, oxygen, ignition, and a semi-smooth surface to make miles on.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was waiting to see how long it would take for you to jump back into this!
    Is your snow starting to recede yet? Ours is!
    I'm probably about two decently hard "toad-stranglers" away from breaking out onto the highway!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    you guys just don't get it!! to us rs'ers, an rt is a downgrade. and who ta heck wants to downgrade?
    I couldn't agree with you more!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

................now you've done it bob. that's a big can of worms you have opened.
    if an rt was my only option, i'd buy another bagger.
    Might as well just take the car....

Spyder Garage

otter28169, I found myself in the same position, having tons of fun with my RS, and left asking for more.. the spyder RS / GS / RSS are just brilliant.
    Since I wanted more, and Speedy (name of my RS), had maxed out, I bought a Ducati Monster. 6 months later, I wanted more, so picked up a Ducati streefighter with 132hp and tons of fun. All my bikes as twins Now, when I want to go faster than what my bikes can manage, I take my BMW (with twins...turbos that is
    )

Cheers!
    Last edited by Spy+; 03-25-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more!

thanks for agreeing drew!!! and you know,you're probably half my age. there are still some of us old farts out there that like to ride hard!! you'll never see this guys butt on an rt. (sorry bob)

Spyder Garage

I share your views Otter. I ride pretty normally around town, but have my back country roads where 100+ mph is an everytime occurance. I also tend to ride without a helmet. I have total respect for other riders who gear up completely and hope for the same respect back. I have a great wife and kids and care deeply for them. Live for the day because you may not have many left.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee...
    Poke just ONE bear in the face with your fishing pole...
    And all that you see; are teeth, claws, and bloodshot eyes!

Canadian Gangs.jpg
    Pretty cool; ain't it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee...

Canadian Gangs.jpg
    Pretty cool; ain't it?
    So now your calling all of us bears that are associated with a Canadian street gang?.....wow, tell us how you really feel Denman....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Gee...

Canadian Gangs.jpg
    Pretty cool; ain't it?
    I resemble that!!! got a little French blood in me!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Canadian bear gang, last seen enroute to NY......

Spyder Garage

Default it's cool bob

we understand that you rt folks don't get it. you see a gs or rs as an ''entry level'' or ''stepping stone'' spyder. that is simply not the case. we love these bikes because of what they are, the hot-rod spyder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

we love these bikes because of what they are, the hot-rod spyder.
    Kind of like...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see a bunch of Canadian bears on RS/GS's heading to Denman country soon...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I know I am old enough to know better but I am still too young to care. I also know it can be a very sensitive subject but I gotta ask.
    When I am riding solo I like to "play". After years of riding snowmobiles I am now able to get the same feeling from my spyder. I like to ride hard when I am out on the back roads, and was wondering how many of my fellow riders bought an RS or RS-S to get that rush that cannot come from cruising at 55mph.
    I am also wondering if anyone believes there is a chance that the RS-S will get a higher HP motor in an effort to increase it's sales. When I bought mine I thought that 106hp would be great, but alas I think I could use some more. I will probably catch for starting this thread, but I like to ride with people whom share my riding style, and hopefully people of like mind will speak up.

Just sayin'...........
    I got an RT with Elkas & BajaRon's stabilizer bar. I get that rush all the time !!!!

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Gee...

Canadian Gangs.jpg
    Pretty cool; ain't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    I resemble that!!! got a little French blood in me!!
    I resemble it to, but not due to my heritage. I wear my "fur coat" all year long too.....

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I see a bunch of Canadian bears on RS/GS's heading to Denman country soon...

you can count this rs in!! I know where he lives!!!

arntufun

Holy cow.................. It seems the NY Spyder Riders are the Hells Angels of the Spyder world !!!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's worse than that...

If you're coming: it's 325 Main Street...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Holy cow.................. It seems the NY Spyder Riders are the Hells Angels of the Spyder world !!!!!!!
    you "otter" know! you is one too!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default You can to a point

I don't think you can - I have a 2009 rs/gs I have done everything to get more power out of it but it will never be a super bike. I just sold my cbr 929rr since I have only leg and the spyder seems the best right now but nothing will compare to a 374lbs with 174hp bike. Nothing compares to going into a turn at 100 and scrapping the foot peg on ground but at least with this everyone can ride but if you are looking for heart pounding ride go out and get a bike made for it. I don't fool myself when I am out riding I will always know that it will never be the same but at least I can get out there and have some fun.

As for a new engine for the RS - they need to make a real super bike engine for this model (175hp or something) and get some leaning in to the bike, make it a real sport bike and not such a touring bike. Just my crazy opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP is performing a VERY delicate balancing act...
    If they add more horsepower to the existing chassis; Nanny will just be rearing up and grabbing the reins earlier..
    If they "dumb" her down a bit; folks might start augering-in!
    They would CLEARLY need a new chassis design, in order to even begin to think about a more powerful engine!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with this Bob.

Looking at it from a different view..............Is the nanny really necessary? Without even getting into 2 wheel bikes.............

I can buy a snowmobile (from BRP) with a 160+hp 800 engine that will run in the 110-120 range flat out and do some real quick 20-80 times while twisting through trees on an 8' wide snowmobile trail. Miss a turn at 80 and hit a tree and you're dead. Hit a bump at 80 and hit a tree and your dead. Inside ski lift at 80, lose control, hit a tree and your dead BUT there is no nanny on the sled. Just as dangerous but no nanny.

I can buy an ATV from BRP. Same scenario as the sled above except it won't go that fast. NO nanny on the ATV.

I can buy a side x side from BRP. Same scenario as the sled above...NO nannny on the side x side.

I can buy a Sea-doo from BRP........NO nanny.

All these vehicles can be a lot of fun. All of these vehicles can be dangerous if not ridden correctly or over riden by inexperienced users yet the Spyder is the only one with all of this "over control". I just don't understand the logic behind the nanny only on the Spyder and not their other vehicles. If they really feel they need the nanny then they should at least tone it down to not be so sensitive or have an option to disable it. I want to be able to push the RS hard. I want hang off the seat in a corner, I want to be right on the edge of the inside wheel lifting, I want to smoke up the rear tire and leave it in clumps on the pavement.