Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post

Please don't confuse riding hard with not riding safe. I've met plenty of people on the road who weren't riding hard and were way more unsafe than I was.
    That makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is the reference made to someone in the military when this thread is on a particular riding style. And, if someone is going to tell me that they (military personnel) put their life in danger, I know that. They put their lives in danger to protect the freedoms of the others.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    That makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is the reference made to someone in the military when this thread is on a particular riding style. And, if someone is going to tell me that they (military personnel) put their life in danger, I know that. They put their lives in danger to protect the freedoms of the others.
    I was mentioning our service men and women earlier when I was making the point that most of us do very dangerous things every day. While we understand these dangers exist we don't always change our lives to try and avoid them. If you want to see the reference it is back on the first page.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I was mentioning our service men and women earlier when I was making the point that most of us do very dangerous things every day. While we understand these dangers exist we don't always change our lives to try and avoid them. If you want to see the reference it is back on the first page.
    I saw it. In my opinion, it's not a good analogy. You have complete control of the situation; those in a combat zone do not. Walking out the door is a good analogy; that can be dangerous. Don't get me wrong, I don't care how someone else rides, as long as no one else is affected. Ride away.
    Last edited by wyliec; 02-12-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

I did a good job stirring up the . I was looking to see if there were others out there like me, and got a sermon on personal responsibility. Maybe someday i will give in and be the guy doing 55 in the left lane with a line of cars behind me with the drivers blowing their horns and giving me the single finger salute. Something tells me it won't be this season, or the next.............

Just sayin'............
    I understand where you're coming from and I'm there with you. Having fun on the Spyder for me is about riding not driving or touring. Riding is about the exhilaration of safely pushing it within the limits of your skill level and the capabilities of the machine when the road and traffic conditions are favorable. I don't push when touring or at any time 2 up.
    2012 RS-S Can Am Red SM5, Back Rest, Touring Windshield and Custom Dynamics risers.

Spyder Garage
    Rick
    New Braunfels, TX
    2009 GS Silver and Black
    Kuryakyn Grips and Risers
    Spyderpops missing air dam
    Spyderpops Air Management system
    Madstad Windshield
    Rivco Floor board and Highway pegs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    hate to disagree, but it'll never happen. the rs and rss will become the entry level spyder at a reduced price and possibly a reduced engine size. we'll see!

I disagree, the RS is the sport version and will continue to be. They will maintain the engine size to attract the younger sector

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did a good job stirring up the . I was looking to see if there were others out there like me, and got a sermon on personal responsibility. Maybe someday i will give in and be the guy doing 55 in the left lane with a line of cars behind me with the drivers blowing their horns and giving me the single finger salute. Something tells me it won't be this season, or the next.............

Just sayin'............
    It's OK Otter, You can ryde with me....I like to twist that grip and make my heart pump a little faster.
    I am the kind of ryder that loves to go fast (but only when I can safely do so)
    I have a rule, every time I ryde, I must hit three digits even if for just a few seconds, (unless it's just a quick trip to the store). Some days 55mph seems like 15mph to me.... I do agree that there is a time and a place for excessive speed and freeway traffic and city streets are not that place.
    Lately I have longing to take my Spyder back to the racetrack....
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I can't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I disagree, the RS is the sport version and will continue to be. They will maintain the engine size to attract the younger sector
    I agree. Calling the RS "entry level" compared to the RT is like calling a CB1000R "entry level" compared to a Goldwing.
    They are just different machines. Personally, I'd never own an RT or a Goldwing and I am far from being an "entry level" rider.....lol. However, I can respect whatever anyone wants to ride for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Rotax 1330 - 2015 ST.....RS-S....RS...........just saying
    OK FlamingoBabe, what have you heard? or are you just wishing like I am?
    I have mentioned this to several of the BRP Execs and they just grin, without saying a word.

If they put the 1330ACE in the ST ....It's ON and I'm gone, where do I sign?
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Completely agree. They need to build a no frills RS in the $12K range to attract new riders. Then have the RSS be the high performance sport option. No offense to anyone here but I just can't see myself ever riding an RT or RTS. Maybe....maybe an ST but even that doesn't really appeal to me.
    No offense taken. I would have said the same a few years ago.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    i hope you are right as it is the only model spyder my wife and i will ever ride. i'd sure like to get a new one eventually.

Spyder Garage

Thought some of would like this article, have included the first paragraph to give you a taste:

An Open Letter To Every Person I Meet Who Finds Out I Ride a Motorcycle
    "Let me stop you right there, mmmm-kay? I can tell by that little intake of breath what’s coming next. Thank you in advance, but I already know that motorcycles are “dangerous.” After nearly twenty years of riding on the streets, I am aware; telling me now will not be a revelation. It is not an insight into my lifestyle that has remained hidden from me until this, the moment of epiphany when you shine the light of outsider wisdom on my foolhardy choices. This is an open letter to everyone who finds out I ride a motorcycle...."
    http://rideapart.com/2012/06/an-open...-a-motorcycle/

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

You know, people get killed on foot just trying to cross freeways and side streets every day... so should pedestrians stay home behind locked doors with curtains drawn if they have a wife and children too? How nutty would that be?

Childbirth is risky also, so shouldn't women with 1 child already depending on them NOT go risking their life by having a 2nd one? A 1 child policy might make a lot of sense in fact for that and other reasons... but I digress now.

Life's a risk, most of us manage the risks very well thank you very much... that's why we're still here after all!

Regards.

- Michael

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just sayin'............
    I just got on this forum this month. I find it's one of the best. A lot of issues and different opinions are presented, but I'll bet most members would ride with anyone on here. Everyone has their own perspective.
    There are lots of caring people here...........
    Art

Spyder Garage

I'm 59; my other bike is a ZX14 Ninja......................I've been rodding since I was 17.....................it never gets old.

Old enough to know better..............................immature enough to o it anyway!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I could see a slightly smaller Spyder possibly with the 800 engine from the UTV, and a choice of manual or fully automatic (CVT) trans. That said, I could also see a stretched RS/RSS with a 1500 supercharged triple and a lot less tame nanny. One would bring a lot more ryders in, the other would, at least partially satisfy the rest, for a while.

john

Spyder Garage

I hope someday somewhere there will be a road racing circuit for Spyder's. You know there has to be away to disable or bypass the nannie for" off road use only". It just wouldn't be racing without the ability to break the rear tire loose or lift a front tire. I know they would never keep up with an all out sport bike, but an atv will never keep up with a motocross bike either. They are just different machines. There never is any money to be made in any type of grass roots racing, and used spyder prices may still be to high to butcher a machine up for racing, but I hope the day will come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    I hope someday somewhere there will be a road racing circuit for Spyder's. You know there has to be away to disable or bypass the nannie for" off road use only". It just wouldn't be racing without the ability to break the rear tire loose or lift a front tire. I know they would never keep up with an all out sport bike, but an atv will never keep up with a motocross bike either. They are just different machines. There never is any money to be made in any type of grass roots racing, and used spyder prices may still be to high to butcher a machine up for racing, but I hope the day will come.
    I couldn't agree more, especially the part about BRP giving the machine several nanny settings. I looked at getting an RSS for myself to go with my wife's STS and decided not to after spending more time on it and continually bumping up against the nanny. It simply takes the challenge and fun out of it for me. BMW provides various electronics settings on their new bikes, BRP could certainly do the same thing.
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Spyder Garage

I ride primarily with my work friends and they all ride BMW 1200 GS and RT's. I have a hell of a time trying to keep up with them in the twisties and mountain roads on my 2011 RS ( I have put as many peformance mods as I can find outside of Turbo) but it sure is a lot of fun chasing them and they have no issue riding with me - even though i'm in the back most of the time. I am planning on buying in late spring a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES 1200cc. I will ride my Spyder most of the time - it is my commuter bike to work and my wife loves to ride on the back with me on trips. Planning on going to the owners event in Durango CO in June. The last event in 2012 was great and the mountain roads in CO are beautiful. But will go with the Yamaha when riding with the BMW boys in the future on those long road trips around the country.

Regards

Bob L.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Queasyrider View Post
    I just got on this forum this month. I find it's one of the best. A lot of issues and different opinions are presented, but I'll bet most members would ride with anyone on here. Everyone has their own perspective.
    There are lots of caring people here...........
    Art

As far as the future of the RS line-up?

What would you LIKE to see?
    Me: I'd equip the basic RS with a 600cc twin, smaller dimensions all around, and gear it toward the urban/suburban beginnning rider.
    The RS-S? How about a fully-articulated leaner; with some REAL power under the hood?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hey, BRP! 200+ HP, 6spd tranny/chain final drive, 125lbs less blubber, defeatable traction control, 15/16" rims all around, with standard 5 lug wheels up front.

Have to disagree with Bob on the leaning thing......................I like the Spyders current set up in that respect.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why when they come out with it; you can upgrade, to an RT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's why when they come out with it; you can upgrade, to an RT!
    you guys just don't get it!! to us rs'ers, an rt is a downgrade. and who ta heck wants to downgrade?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's see...
    It took six whole years, before you got the best engine available... (for the time!)
    If you try to hook a trailer up to your bikes; somebody at BRP faints
    And you have to actually BUY different windshields, if you want to change the height; we just hit the horn button a few times!

Spyder Garage

Default upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    you guys just don't get it!! to us rs'ers, an rt is a downgrade. and who ta heck wants to downgrade?
    ................now you've done it bob. that's a big can of worms you have opened.
    if an rt was my only option, i'd buy another bagger.
    it was fun while it lasted.