Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014's with oil leaks

As many of you know there are some of the early build 2014's with the clutch set screw leak. The service bulletin is out and most dealers do not have it yet. (at least the two in my area didn't). Anyway, the part needed is Loctite #7649 (primer, found locally). Well, of course the dealers did not have it and had to order it. No one had it locally either.

Just a heads up for those getting this repair. Make sure your dealer is using this exact primer. Mine is still sitting at the dealer for a week now. Hopefully they will get the Loctite Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfi...et%20Screw.pdf

Spyder Garage

Default Amazing..!!y

Why they don't send out the bulletin with the parts escapes me. This is available locally but dealers have to have it sent from the factory. Is theirs different..?? Hate to see folks held up for simple things with easy solutions...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Why they don't send out the bulletin with the parts escapes me. This is available locally but dealers have to have it sent from the factory. Is theirs different..?? Hate to see folks held up for simple things with easy solutions...jmo
    The factory isn't sending the Loctite, they have to get it locally or order it. And I better have 30 miles when I pick up the bike when its ready. Mine is the first 14 they have seen. Also look at the confusion on the bulletin. Says 3 different kinds of Loctite on Page 8. Very Confusing, typo I am sure!

Spyder Garage

So they are using Loctite to fix a leak? Doesn't it sound more like a faulty screw design? I have never owned a motorcycle that has needed Loctite to prevent a fluid from leaking out of it. Am I missing something?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious as well; is that screw just backing itself out??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm curious as well; is that screw just backing itself out??
    Motorcycle vibrations due indeed cause screws to loosen without loctite (and i have experienced this with other brands).. The screw/bolt in question was not torqued down properly with the lactate present to cause it from coming lose. This issue was found by my dealer on the second bike delivered in the US (on Christmas Eve 2013 ) and BRP was promptly notified. The likelihood is that only a very small number of bikes were delivered with the issue and they have been fixed by now.. damn spell checker loctite
    Last edited by BikerDoc; 02-08-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spell correction
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default BRP is shipping a kit of 243 Loctite, primer, new 6mm set screw

2014oil set set screw.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by SAPD911 View Post
    The factory isn't sending the Loctite, they have to get it locally or order it. And I better have 30 miles when I pick up the bike when its ready. Mine is the first 14 they have seen. Also look at the confusion on the bulletin. Says 3 different kinds of Loctite on Page 8. Very Confusing, typo I am sure!
    Brp is now shipping a kit of NEW 6mm set screw & Locktite 243, (primer, dealer has) for 2014 Spyder RT's. It takes about 1 week for shipping.
    BRP said a NEW set screw has to be installed, with the primer, Locktite.
    My 2014 RT-S SE6 was repaired yesterday Peoria, Arizona service dept.
    NO oil leaks!!!!
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 02-12-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Brp is now shipping a kit of NEW 6mm set screw, Locktite 243, primer for 2014 Spyder RT's. It takes about 1 week for shipping.
    NO oil leaks!!!!
    Jim
    Thanks for the update Jim. It makes sense that Loctite alone is not the problem.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    2014oil set set screw.jpg

Brp is now shipping a kit of NEW 6mm set screw, Locktite 243, primer for 2014 Spyder RT's. It takes about 1 week for shipping.
    NO oil leaks!!!!
    Jim
    great, my dealer did not order any screw from the factory, they only ordered Loctite from a local distributor. Called the dealer and they have no clue about this set screw being replaced! Great, Now I have to wait another week! This is so frustrating! Why is it so difficult! My local dealership is CLUELESS, said they haven't even looked to see where the leak is coming from, took the customers word where it was coming from!

It makes sense to replace the screw. Dealership also said they called BRP and mine is not in the range of the recall. grrrr. They also said that forums such as this can generate false information, ect!
    Last edited by SAPD911; 02-08-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    The screw/bolt in question was not torqued down properly with the lactate present to cause it from coming lose. .. damn spell checker loctite
    NoNoNo... I really preferred your first version...
    You said a MOUTHFUL!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    NoNoNo... I really preferred your first version...
    You said a MOUTHFUL!!

This is being milked for all it is worth.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

A simple thing it seems. They really need to get the act together. At this juncture, the problem should be solved at the factory. Any that escaped the factory, should be fixed by the dealer before delivery. The customer should not have to worry about an oil leak on a $30K machine. What don't they get?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A simple thing it seems. They really need to get the act together. At this juncture, the problem should be solved at the factory. Any that escaped the factory, should be fixed by the dealer before delivery. The customer should not have to worry about an oil leak on a $30K machine. What don't they get?
    Yep, I just can't fathom a dealer would take a customers word on a leak. Uhm, how about and verify what the problem is first and foremost! I blame BRP for this whole mess. Not a happy new customer!

Spyder Garage

great, my dealer did not order any screw from the factory, they only ordered Loctite from a local distributor. Called the dealer and they have no clue about this set screw being replaced! Great, Now I have to wait another week! This is so frustrating! Why is it so difficult! My local dealership is CLUELESS, said they haven't even looked to see where the leak is coming from, took the customers word where it was coming from!

It makes sense to replace the screw. Dealership also said they called BRP and mine is not in the range of the recall. grrrr. They also said that forums such as this can generate false information, ect!
    If your Spyder is not in the range of the warranty campaign, then the dealer needs to look at it like any other warrantied machine that comes in with a problem...troubleshoot and repair. It is still their responsibility whether it is on a bulletin or not. An owner should not describe the repair unless he or she is certain that it applies...the dealer is correct to question following a forum report blindly. Let them try to do their jobs first, then point them in the right direction if necessary. If all else fails, contact BRP Customer Care. If this is the same problem outside the original range, or a different problem, the dealer will report it to BRP in order to get reimbursement, and other owners may benefit.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Photo of underneath clutch housing 2014 RT set screw oil drip leak

2014 RT set screw oil leak underneath.jpg

Here is a photo of my 2014 RT set screw oil drip leak. Just re-Loctited same set screw, & I still had a drip oil leak. New set screw stopped leak.
    When riding, the wind moves the small oil drip to cover muffler, etc.
    Like I mentioned just putting polishing cloths under leak, you can keep riding until repairs are made.
    They don't change your oil, just top off for small amount that drained out.
    Hope this helps 2014 RT riders.
    Your call. Jim

Spyder Garage

Default New Set Screw?

If BRP is providing new set screws for those that leak, what about the rest of the machines that have not yet leaked and were built before BRP corrected the problem, or may not be on their Vin list of potential leakers?

Sounds to me like something that needs clarifying by BRP. I'd hate to be on a trip and this one little thing crop to cause problems.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    If BRP is providing new set screws for those that leak, what about the rest of the machines that have not yet leaked and were built before BRP corrected the problem, or may not be on their Vin list of potential leakers?

Sounds to me like something that needs clarifying by BRP. I'd hate to be on a trip and this one little thing crop to cause problems.
    I am calling BRP Monday to get this clarified. Also speaking to the service manager tuesday as to why the tech did not even look to see where the oil leak is coming from.

And to all the people that say I am whining and to drive it. I am not whining, I am simply frustrated and want a simple answer to a simple problem. Seems like no one cares about the problem at BRP or the dealer!

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone,

There seems to be some confusion surrounding this bulletin. Here is the corrected information:

The bulletin mentioned in this thread is deprecated; it was temporary and has been replaced by a newer one that your dealer will be able to compare your VIN against. The dealers who will service affected vehicles (a very small number) should already have the parts required to perform the update shipped to them. Also, note that all vehicles produced after this bulletin was released already have the update applied to them.

Hope this helps clear things up.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

There seems to be some confusion surrounding this bulletin. Here is the corrected information:

The bulletin mentioned in this thread is deprecated; it was temporary and has been replaced by a newer one that your dealer will be able to compare your VIN against. The dealers who will service affected vehicles (a very small number) should already have the parts required to perform the update shipped to them. Also, note that all vehicles produced after this bulletin was released already have the update applied to them.

Thanks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks again Steve, I am just frustrated at my dealer for not even looking for the leak, they relied on what a customer said and ordered the loctite. I'll deal with them tomorrow, hopefully it is something easy to fix.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Hi everyone,

If the original list of VIN numbers are not valid, then that still leaves some of us who purchased early built machines, before the OIL LEAK was even mentioned, without any idea as to whether ours have a potential LEAk. The dealer may know, or may not have paid any attention to the updated info. Often we hear about dealers who are totally in the dark about a given bulletin.

Steve, can't you issue an updated list for us to compare and then get with our dealers as we see the need? If not, I can truck off to the dealer in inquire.

I'd just feel more comfortable knowing.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default i think

i think if the dealer we bought our bikes off of is not a heavy BRP dealer as far as spyders, that they don't tune into what is going on. my dealer is not a big spyder sales dealer and he had no clue as far as the heat fix or now the ecm update, both times i brought the paper work that i found on here
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi everyone,

My dealer will be fixing a leak on my new 2014 RT Limited next week. Also, the dealer will be replacing both front lower panels. They are both loose, and the right side panel flew off into the road and got run over by autos that were behind me. Neither fit well at all. New ones on the way. This issue has caused a little consternation at the dealer. None of his other 2014's have this issue.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Velocityguy View Post
    My dealer will be fixing a leak on my new 2014 RT Limited next week. Also, the dealer will be replacing both front lower panels. They are both loose, and the right side panel flew off into the road and got run over by autos that were behind me. Neither fit well at all. New ones on the way. This issue has caused a little consternation at the dealer. None of his other 2014's have this issue.
    whats your build and vin if u don't mind sharing? Mine was Jan 7, VIN #570 and they said it was not in the recall or had leaks? Is the leak in the clutch set screw area?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi everyone,

Steve,

Just got off the phone with my service manager and mine definitely has the oil leak where the clutch screw is. Just a heads up as it looks like those that were supposedly fixed were not fixed at the factory, well at least mine was not! BRP is sending the set screw kit with Loctite to get this fixed. Lets hope this is the only issue with the 14's.
    Last edited by SAPD911; 02-11-2014 at 12:11 PM.