Spyder Garage

Default RT-S and RT-622 wheels - need advice

I didn't realize when I bought my RT-S and "matching" RT-622 that the wheels wouldn't match. My bad, but now I'm trying to decide what to do. Apparently BRP doesn't have trailer wheels to match the wheels on an RT-S. The trailer wheels only come in chrome or aluminum. I talked to a local shop about powder coating the trailer wheels but the colors and texture wouldn't be a good match. I'm also a little concerned about sandblasting and powder coating over chrome. I've heard that might not hold up very well. Has anyone else tried to match the RT-622 wheels with an RT-S or have any suggestion for the best route to go?

20140130_154433 (Medium).jpg

Spyder Garage

Plastidip
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

The simplest solution is just to ride it. Most observers won't care if they match.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The simplest solution is just to ride it. Most observers won't care if they match.
    That was my first solution, but everyone seems to notice and it just bugs me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Plastidip
    I thought about plastidip but wasn't sure how long it would last on chrome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of our members, VRod Bob, powder coated his wheels and I believe he was very happy with them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SllimG View Post
    That was my first solution, but everyone seems to notice and it just bugs me.
    The chrome is tougher to deal with...but it can be painted (or Plasti-Dipped). Not sure if powder coating would work...you'd have to talk to a shop that does that kind of work. Sometimes blasting coulkd be needed for the coating to adhere properly. That addes another worry, needing protection of the bearing race bosses and other machines places. The best solution is probably to treat all the wheels the same way...like paint them all, not just the trailer of Spyder. That way the colors would match, although maybe not the styles.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Plastidip is easily repaired It will work if it doesn't peel it off. Just clean it good before using it. Easy peasy and cheap solution
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Did not realize the trailers used an entirely different wheel. Now why would BRP go to that much trouble to make things diffecult? Why could they not have used the same hubs as the front of the bike? Pretty poor design for that expensive of an option. At $35k plus if I had ordered a matching trailer and that showed up, would have asked the dealer what HE was going to do with it. Its not what you ordered or what was represented to you.

You will need to have all 4 wheels refinished to match, but the pattern looks different too.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The trailer wheels are a standard 4 lug trailer design. It makes an inexpensive spare easy. However, I agree they should match the Spyder wheels. That's silly since the trailer matches.....if the trailer didn't match it's a non-issue.
    A good painter should be able to paint them and make them match very close. Close enough that nobody will notice, especially with them 20' away from the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Just throwing it out there, have you thought about going the other way and having the RTS wheels chromed to match the trailer?

chroming is quite common and not too hard on the wallet.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I didn't realize when I bought my RT-S and "matching" RT-622 that the wheels wouldn't match. My bad, but now I'm trying to decide what to do. Apparently BRP doesn't have trailer wheels to match the wheels on an RT-S. The trailer wheels only come in chrome or aluminum. I talked to a local shop about powder coating the trailer wheels but the colors and texture wouldn't be a good match. I'm also a little concerned about sandblasting and powder coating over chrome. I've heard that might not hold up very well. Has anyone else tried to match the RT-622 wheels with an RT-S or have any suggestion for the best route to go?

20140130_154433 (Medium).jpg

The trailers on our 12's have aluminum finish wheels that don't match the chrome wheels on our Limiteds but the non-match certainly isn't as noticeable as on your rig. If your trailer wheels are chrome, I would just have a local shop chrome the fronts on your Spyder. If you really want to stay black you could see if someone with aluminum wheels on their trailer wants to swap out with you for the chrome ones. Then, have the aluminum wheels powder coated.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 (Yellow) RT-S. The wheels are black. I also have a 2012 622 Trailer. The wheels were chrome. I used the black pastidip (although it does not match exactly with the front wheels). It looks great IMO. Bout the only time you will notice it is if I'm stopped and you give it a visable inspection. I sprayed my trailer wheels last year in May. I have put just about 8,000 miles since then. There are no signs of peeling.

I will say that if you ever need to take the wheel off, the lug nuts are gonna get messed up. Just repaint them. I'll try to look and see if I have a picture of my trailer to post. I don't think I do.

Lamont did the same thing with his spyder. His looks awesome. There are others, including Erick/Bullant? that have as well.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Spyder Garage

If it were me, I would just look at ordering some custom 4-bolt carbon colored spoke wheels and replacing the current ones. You've already spent so much money, what's another $1K. I was looking at getting the RT-622, but knew that they only came with those chrome wheels; so I've already thought about the necessity of replacing the wheels if I do get one.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

I decided the best route was Plastidip and it came out fantastic! Looks so much better now that it doesn't clash with my front wheels.

20140212_183924 (Medium).jpg

20140212_183939 (Medium).jpg

Spyder Garage

I decided the best route was Plastidip and it came out fantastic! Looks so much better now that it doesn't clash with my front wheels.

Glad you got it resolved to your satisfaction. It looks good.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I knew it would come out good. That stuff is amazing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I have a 2013 (Yellow) RT-S. The wheels are black. I also have a 2012 622 Trailer. The wheels were chrome. I used the black pastidip (although it does not match exactly with the front wheels). It looks great IMO. Bout the only time you will notice it is if I'm stopped and you give it a visable inspection. I sprayed my trailer wheels last year in May. I have put just about 8,000 miles since then. There are no signs of peeling.

I will say that if you ever need to take the wheel off, the lug nuts are gonna get messed up. Just repaint them. I'll try to look and see if I have a picture of my trailer to post. I don't think I do.

Lamont did the same thing with his spyder. His looks awesome. There are others, including Erick/Bullant? that have as well.

Hope this helps.

Chris
    Must have them on my smartphone (can't take it to work), but I did that on my 1st trailer and it look good! The new owner wanted chrome wheels, so he swapped them out and now Harvey (Spyderpops) has them on his trailer. That is my new trailer (got a black RT622) next project.

Never been a fan of chrome. Black is the new chrome!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5