Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MAN what a day-

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Don't forget to have them check something as simple as a new instrument cluster. That was my entire problem with my Spyder. Installed a different cluster and all the problems went away. Keep us posted and I hope everything turns out okay and that it is a quick and easy repair.

Did you have the same issues? ABS failure/ Check DPS/ Limp home mode?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Did you have the same issues? ABS failure/ Check DPS/ Limp home mode?
    It started out with just the check engine light. By the time I got to the dealership the second time all of the above came on. Funny thing was, nothing seemed wrong with the spyder. It was running just fine and not giving me any troubles or making any noises. It went into limp mode last thing as I pulled into the actual service area. Had the dealership been any further away, I would have had to limp all the way there. It is just an idea. I don't know if you were having any other problems with your spyder or not or if it just went into all these failure modes. Sure hope you get to the bottom of it quickly.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    It started out with just the check engine light. By the time I got to the dealership the second time all of the above came on. Funny thing was, nothing seemed wrong with the spyder. It was running just fine and not giving me any troubles or making any noises. It went into limp mode last thing as I pulled into the actual service area. Had the dealership been any further away, I would have had to limp all the way there. It is just an idea. I don't know if you were having any other problems with your spyder or not or if it just went into all these failure modes. Sure hope you get to the bottom of it quickly.
    Mine would steer hard when it would throw the error. I just hope that it will do the samething when it's at the dealer and they can know for sure they fixed it.

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hmmmmm......

Mine is at the dealer right now and had all those symptoms...are we seeing a pattern here?? Mine did not go into limp home mode, it just up and died in the middle of the road. Then it would only run for a minute or so and just cut off. We were getting a Can Bus error at the dealer when they hooked it up to the computer. They said they found a bad relay...waiting on parts now....

Being mostly a Honda rider, I am not used to sitting on the side of the road broke down and watching Harleys ride by.....

Mad Matt

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    Hmmmmm......

Mine is at the dealer right now and had all those symptoms...are we seeing a pattern here?? Mine did not go into limp home mode, it just up and died in the middle of the road. Then it would only run for a minute or so and just cut off. We were getting a Can Bus error at the dealer when they hooked it up to the computer. They said they found a bad relay...waiting on parts now....

Being mostly a Honda rider, I am not used to sitting on the side of the road broke down and watching Harleys ride by.....

Mad Matt
    Sorry to hear of your situation, Lamont. And, yours too, Matt!

Sounds like maybe a case of too much technology? Typically, motorcycles don't just stop running, do they? Or, go into 'Limp Mode'?! That's a bit scary to me. Interesting that BRP even has such a message. But, I suppose with all the 'technology' that the Spyder has (VSS, ABS, DPS, etc,,,), it's needed - just in case. But, it sure doesn't give me a warm and cozy, knowing that I could be on a trip, and all of a sudden, the Spyder just stops dead. I mean; when is the last time you ever saw a Honda Goldwing, or any other bike for that matter, just stopped on the side of the road? Of course it happens if the gas tank is dry. It's a rare occurrence, however.

Oh well; since I discovered it, I have thought the Spyder, an Exotic! And, like most exotic cars, they aren't the same animal as they typical Honda, etc,,,.
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

I have been broken down beside the road, even with my BMWs. In fact, the Beemer community has a strong support system in place for just this eventuality. It boils down to miles...if you ride enough, you will break down. (In the case of my old Triumph, if you even thought about riding...) Motorcycles come with a toolkit for a reason, unfortunately. Too bad this one doesn't come with a diagnostics laptop. All we can do in these situations is to have road service available, and hope for the best. I hope you aren't stranded, Lamont. We'll all keep our fingers crossed for you.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default good luck with your trip

Lamont.....man u ARE hardcore! I cant imagine riding so long in that heat, being sick, and having all the mechanical problems to boot...Dont push yourself past the point of fun, unless of course, fun for u is seeig how much u can torture yourself! be safe!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have been broken down beside the road, even with my BMWs. In fact, the Beemer community has a strong support system in place for just this eventuality. It boils down to miles...if you ride enough, you will break down. (In the case of my old Triumph, if you even thought about riding...) Motorcycles come with a toolkit for a reason, unfortunately. Too bad this one doesn't come with a diagnostics laptop. All we can do in these situations is to have road service available, and hope for the best. I hope you aren't stranded, Lamont. We'll all keep our fingers crossed for you.
    -Scotty
    I know.... it can happen.

And, you know we're thinking about you Lamont. Please keep us posted.
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

I'm sure you tried disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it. Johns went into limp mode and what it turned out being was a bad key switch.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hey lamont, I just missed you at Big Joe's!

While you were on your long distance trek, I had an iron butt ride on the M109R from Reno to Prescott to see Big Joe. Left Wed 8th, got to Prescott AZ around midnight after visiting Lake Mead, then we worked on my Air Ride, chatted about business and then I rode up to the Grand canyon South Rim before getting some sleep in Kingman AZ. Left Friday am got to Willow beach on the Colorado river where it was 117 degrees! I parked the bike got off and walked into the river with boots, mesh riding pants and just floated out there for 10 mins to cool off! RELIEF!

By the time I got back to the bike, the Kewlmetal outside temp gauge had gone past 120 degrees, past the F at the bottom and was on it's way to the -20 degree mark!!! 2 miles up to the main road and I was bone dry again!

I quick ride along the Strip in Vegas and hosing myself down at each gas station, and putting ice in my gloves and helmet liner. I got home with over 1700 miles done on the trip at 1:30 am Saturday am. You were due to see Big Joe on the Saturday - sorry I couldn't stick around to shoot the breeze!! After all that, the air-ride leaked on the way back after changing the valve body and the pipes and checking the shock. It looks like the air is escaping from the front chamber into the rear chamber forciing it down, so Joe is going to swap out the shock - can't beat Kewlmetal for customer service!!

Last edited by Questions; 08-21-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry I missed you and sorry about your air ride trouble. Mine turned out to be some bad grease in the ram. They are great folks to work with and just my luck they are good friends too.

I was hot on the whole trip so I hear ya on that one. I had one day that I was cool and that was the rain day.

By the way after we left Big Joe said he had a Goldwing guy stop by the shop that did 11,000 miles in 11 days

Now that's some crazy riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmettown View Post
    While you were on your long distance trek, I had an iron butt ride on the M109R from Reno to Prescott to see Big Joe. Left Wed 8th, got to Prescott AZ around midnight after visiting Lake Mead, then we worked on my Air Ride, chatted about business and then I rode up to the Grand canyon South Rim before getting some sleep in Kingman AZ. Left Friday am got to Willow beach on the Colorado river where it was 117 degrees! I parked the bike got off and walked into the river with boots, mesh riding pants and just floated out there for 10 mins to cool off! RELIEF!

By the time I got back to the bike, the Kewlmetal outside temp gauge had gone past 120 degrees, past the F at the bottom and was on it's way to the -20 degree mark!!! 2 miles up to the main road and I was bone dry again!

I quick ride along the Strip in Vegas and hosing myself down at each gas station, and putting ice in my gloves and helmet liner. I got home with over 1700 miles done on the trip at 1:30 am Saturday am. You were due to see Big Joe on the Saturday - sorry I couldn't stick around to shoot the breeze!! After all that, the air-ride leaked on the way back after changing the valve body and the pipes and checking the shock. It looks like the air is escaping from the front chamber into the rear chamber forciing it down, so Joe is going to swap out the shock - can't beat Kewlmetal for customer service!!