Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default how many

of us have forgotten to put the kickstand down when getting gas or getting off the bike, 2 wheels
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    of us have forgotten to put the kickstand down when getting gas or getting off the bike, 2 wheels
    Did that a couple times when wasps flew down the back of my jacket.
    Another is leaving your bike parked in 1st gear, then starting it up without holding in the clutch.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Or cussing and spitting and getting real mad because the $!&%$! thing won't go in reverse. Had to push it out of the garage just so we could go for s ride on our only 40 degree day in Jan...

Wife then asks...did you hold the R button while down shifting?

Won't forget that for a while...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

If you use Fuely to track you fuel consumption it will provide an over all average. I love to ride my bike.. I mean ride fast and hard so I have dropped my 2011 near 20, my best was 32 if I recall. My over average is 27 which is a mix of every thing, trailer, 2 up, fast twisties and scenic drives. I am looking forward to see what my 2014 will do over time but I know it will be better, not that I was unhappy with 27 mpg either.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by caw001 View Post
    I love all the speculation due to lack of detail! Sorry about that....

I have to say I did not start paying attention to the statistics until my 3rd fill (one at the dealer, and two myself).

Both times I filled up It took "about" 4.5 gallons (didn't pay attention). The first time was at 98 mi. (this one got my attention). The second was somewhere around 200. This was all in town stop and go driving, and being the owner of a brand new Spyder I have to admit I may have been a little heavy throttled at times as I have been ryding atop a magnificent beast.

The third time I filled it I decided I needed to figure out how to reset the trip meters so I could get the real facts and I did just that. I did some freeway driving to and from work and I am currently at 335 total miles and a 1/4 of a tank as it sits level in my garage. That's about 130 miles on 3/4 of a tank. So if you do the math on that, things are not looking so bad. I will take her for a spin tomorrow and refill again to get an accurate mileage burn.

I also have never waited to see the fuel light come on (quite frankly, didn't know there was one). Once I cross the black 1/4 tank marker I have been refilling because I just felt like It was going to burn that last bit of gas faster than I expected.

Yep its new, there is learning to be had. I've been trying the eco mode, but it seems that it always wants me in 6th gear. In stop and go driving that's not always possible to make that stretch and feel like you are doing the motor any justice.

We'll see how things go over the next couple tanks as the newness wears off. Does the "I just want to grab the throttle and GO!!!" feeling ever go away? I sure hope not...
    This was posted in #18 and may have got lost in the shuffle.

"The recommendation to fill the same way each time is right on. The most I have ever put in a tank was 5.8 gallons and that was at 185 miles on the tank. (31.8 mpg). When filling I always run the gas almost up to the O ring but do not fill beyond that point. I zero the trip meter and am then ready for the next go around. I calculate mpg by taking miles driven on the trip meter divided by number of gallons put in. I go to the nearest 10th on mileage and gallons. I use the digital gas gauge and the fill up lights usually come on between 140 and 150 miles on the trip meter.

If you are already following this procedure, then there may be something wrong with the . Based on what you have said, I recommend the above procedure for the next couple tanks or so."

The use of the fuel gauge 1/4 left indicator is probably not the most accurate way to determine remaining fuel in the tank.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-06-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default just looked up

what i had posted b4 about my gas mileage and i am averaging 27 MPG
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I've heard and read many times that the fuel mileage will go up after breakin... So when exactly does the fuel mileage begin to get a little better?

Mine is not fully broken in, but I've got 300mi on my 2014 RTS and am averaging just a hair over 100mi per tank... PER TANK! Not good, not even bad, but freaking horrible...
    Something is seriously wrong with your individual bike if that is the case.. I have ridden close to 5000 miles with the 2014 RT LTD and i get 200 miles a tank routinely
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hello caw001,

You should definitely be getting better mileage than that. Please contact me via PM here or email at brp.care@brp.com ; I'd like to get more details (ie how much gas you are putting in the vehicle, driving style, etc) in order to solve this for you.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread OR divert it from it's original topic of average MPG on 2014's, but I have to say that I am impressed with the speed at which a BRP representative stepped in.
    Not that it's any of my business, but i'd love to know what the conversation between the OP and BRP consisted of...not verbatim, just the gist of the conversation. Might entail some useful nuggets of info for other 2014 owners.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Did that a couple times when wasps flew down the back of my jacket.
    Another is leaving your bike parked in 1st gear, then starting it up without holding in the clutch.
    When I had to switch back to the 2011 SM last week I couldn't figure out how to start it. Forgot to pull in the clutch.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee...
    That almost sounds like a good reason, to pop for the, "ESSIE"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Gee...
    That almost sounds like a good reason, to pop for the, "ESSIE"!
    No, it just means I'm getting old and forgetful.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I sure doubt that!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Also keep in mind as someone stated. If you put the nozzle all the way in and stop when it clicks the first time, your not totally filling the tank. My method is to put it all the way in, let it go until it stops, then pull the handle out until there is about 2 inches of nozzle in the neck of the tank. Slowly fill it until I see the fuel just barely starts to splash out of the vent holes.
    I did lift the nozzle out to make sure it was full...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT milage

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEYG View Post
    I HAVE AN 2012 SPYDER RT & I GET ABOUT A 100 MILES PER TANK AS WELL??? AND ITS WORST AT HIGHER SPEEDS ON THE HIGHWAY
    I have a little over 9.5K mi. and get 0nly 28+ MPG

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have around 800 miles on our 2014 RT and so far have been averaging a little over 34 mpg riding two up.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Update: So I'm averaging about 28mpg on my Spyder now. 2014... Still not great. Hoping it gets better. Most of my driving is freeway driving, so I would think it would be better....

- Chris

Spyder Garage

Update: So I'm averaging about 28mpg on my Spyder now. 2014... Still not great. Hoping it gets better. Most of my driving is freeway driving, so I would think it would be better....

- Chris
    Well at least that is more inline of what you should get. I am getting a little more, some even more. Freeway driving is not the best for fuel economy (you would think it would be, like a car). Unless your driving 55 on the freeway, that is. If your like me and ride 80 + or - a few MPH, you will probably only get around 28-32. Also depends on windshield a bit. If you keep it all the way up, less MPG. I try to lower mine to the point the wind is just going over my head. Its only about an inch or two, but it changes the angle slightly of the windshield from all the way up.

Look at my Fuelly below. The last 5 fuel ups were mostly interstate going to Daytona and back. I got 26 one tank.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I had asked about the foot on the brake and that wasn't it but I just checked back and it looks like it was the kill switch
    Been there, done that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on milage of my 2012 RT now with 15350 mi

Thanks for all the input, I did good milage calculations from tank to tank and then it wasn't good. However now I'm 30 to 34, except at the 75 to 80 open road down to 22 to 24!
    started to add the enzyme for the alcohol contant, and of course hi test. I do trips and around town. thanks for your help, Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Definitely something wrong here! On our ride yesterday, we got - get ready - 48 MPG!!
    Now here's what I've noticed:
    For Spyderquest earlier this month it was rainy and very windy on our way to the host hotel. We were on the highway moving at about 70-75 MPH. We were also pulling the trailer. You could actually feel the wind slowing down the Spyder (we have a 2014 RT-L). We got 31 MPG. Same thing on the way back home. Heavy winds, highway speeds over 65 MPH, and the trailer.

The weekend after Spyderquest we went camping in Maine. Same thing: Rain, heavy winds, highway over 65....again....31MPG.

This past weekend's trip was all back roads. Long easy cruising at speeds varying between 40 and only rarely up to 60. Not too many lights...just long country roads. We did the entire 217.4 mile trip on 4.5 gallons. No lie.

As you can see there are a lot of variables that can affect mileage. If your travel profile looks more like our "lousy" mileage, that could be the problem. If not, then I'd suspect something mechanical maybe.

We have a little over 3,000 miles on our RT-L so just out of break in period. Before this our high mileage mark (same exact route as the 48 MPG trip this weekend) was 41MPG.

Hope this helps a little

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry crappy mileage

My spyder just went thru 10,000kms. I actually think the mileage got worse after the whole filter and oil service. I used to be able to ride for about 220 kms on a tank when I went to my ranch on highway at speeds of 150 to 180 km/h . The ranch is 102 kms from the city. Now I get to the ranch with 1/4 left in the tank. I was lookin forward to the mileage getting better but got the contrary..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default rain helps

By the way, I noticed when I ride it in rain the mileage gets better. I think the water cools down the bike and that helps. Because when the bike gets hot on high speeds , the bike starts smelling like gas.

Spyder Garage

My last tank was 36.47 (36 mpg). Normal, 40-41. I am attributing the lower mileage to the colder temperatures outside. My car always gets less mpg in the winter. Another possibility, winter grade gas?

My driving techniques and my fill-up procedure has not changed.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-09-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default milage 2013 st limited

fill to same level all the time, then devide miles traveled by the gallons.
    I drive it fast and dont care about milage. i average 30mpg in first 2k miles.

carl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MexSpyder View Post
    My spyder just went thru 10,000kms. I actually think the mileage got worse after the whole filter and oil service. I used to be able to ride for about 220 kms on a tank when I went to my ranch on highway at speeds of 150 to 180 km/h . The ranch is 102 kms from the city. Now I get to the ranch with 1/4 left in the tank. I was lookin forward to the mileage getting better but got the contrary..
    What weight oil did they use? Regular, blended or synthetic? It can make a difference.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...