Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    He just posted on Facebook that the Spyder broke down and won't turn over. He has lights and radio but it won't crank. He's having it towed.
    Where on facebook?

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

He just posted on Facebook that the Spyder broke down and won't turn over. He has lights and radio but it won't crank. He's having it towed.
    Kill switch? Foot not on the brake with Spyder in gear?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Kill switch? Foot not on the brake with Spyder in gear?
    I had asked about the foot on the brake and that wasn't it but I just checked back and it looks like it was the kill switch
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you notice how quickly this OP's initial question got sidetracked into everybody else telling how great or lousy their mileage was?
    And we STILL haven't heard back from OP...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I routinely run 150 miles or so before getting gas on my 2010. I have gone over 160 just to see if it will (had a small rotopax can in the frunk just in case) I go by the odometer and pay NO attention to the low fuel light. It is easy to be quick on the draw and start looking for gas when the low light comes on. I see no way a Spyder is only going to get 16 miles to the gallon. If the bike is hitting on all cylinders there is a problem with the math.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did you notice how quickly this OP's initial question got sidetracked into everybody else telling how great or lousy their mileage was?
    Nope. Didn't notice that. Did you?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

sounds like the OP had other issues.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had asked about the foot on the brake and that wasn't it but I just checked back and it looks like it was the kill switch
    Yes, it was just the kill switch. I met him up where he was stranded & got him back up & going. Good news is he now knows to be sure the kill switch is in the "on" position prior to starting. Something that most of us have done in the beginning

Spyder Garage

Default Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by caw001 View Post
    ... am averaging just a hair over 100mi per tank... PER TANK!...
    Hello caw001,

You should definitely be getting better mileage than that. Please contact me via PM here or email at brp.care@brp.com ; I'd like to get more details (ie how much gas you are putting in the vehicle, driving style, etc) in order to solve this for you.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    Yes, it was just the kill switch. I met him up where he was stranded & got him back up & going. Good news is he now knows to be sure the kill switch is in the "on" position prior to starting. Something that most of us have done in the beginning
    I wonder if THAT little tidbit, will end up on FaceBook?

Spyder Garage

Sounds like he is a newbie that needs some help in figuring out how to get the most bang for his buck on a Spyder, he needs someone to help him so he can enjoy the ride.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He's found the right place; let's hope that he takes advantage of the vast amount of accumated information contained here...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been there, done that
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We all probably "Own that sign..."

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I love all the speculation due to lack of detail! Sorry about that....

I have to say I did not start paying attention to the statistics until my 3rd fill (one at the dealer, and two myself).

Both times I filled up It took "about" 4.5 gallons (didn't pay attention). The first time was at 98 mi. (this one got my attention). The second was somewhere around 200. This was all in town stop and go driving, and being the owner of a brand new Spyder I have to admit I may have been a little heavy throttled at times as I have been ryding atop a magnificent beast.

The third time I filled it I decided I needed to figure out how to reset the trip meters so I could get the real facts and I did just that. I did some freeway driving to and from work and I am currently at 335 total miles and a 1/4 of a tank as it sits level in my garage. That's about 130 miles on 3/4 of a tank. So if you do the math on that, things are not looking so bad. I will take her for a spin tomorrow and refill again to get an accurate mileage burn.

I also have never waited to see the fuel light come on (quite frankly, didn't know there was one). Once I cross the black 1/4 tank marker I have been refilling because I just felt like It was going to burn that last bit of gas faster than I expected.

Yep its new, there is learning to be had. I've been trying the eco mode, but it seems that it always wants me in 6th gear. In stop and go driving that's not always possible to make that stretch and feel like you are doing the motor any justice.

We'll see how things go over the next couple tanks as the newness wears off. Does the "I just want to grab the throttle and GO!!!" feeling ever go away? I sure hope not...
    Last edited by caw001; 02-06-2014 at 01:21 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if THAT little tidbit, will end up on FaceBook?
    It did... I owned up to it...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, been working and dealing with an idiot kill switch issue... lol.... I provided all the details just now...

Spyder Garage

Default Low Milege

I guess there are two main reasons:

1. You only did 300 miles, check this again after 4,000 miles (next week).
    2. You are in California, with as many clicks on the pump you will get, you will be missing at least 1 gallon, every time I am out of California I can get more then 160 miles on my 2012 RT, in California the most I ever got was 134 miles.
    This message was sent between rides

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by szohar View Post
    I guess there are two main reasons:

1. You only did 300 miles, check this again after 4,000 miles (next week).
    Correct! That's why I asked about when I would start seeing better mileage beyond break in mileage admitting that I knew 300 was low... Not sure about the California generalization, but once I fill next time I should have a definite more accurate reading of the mileage. Paying attention helps...
    Last edited by caw001; 02-06-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for filling in some of the blanks!
    Do you use the trip odometers to figure out your mileage between fill-ups?
    (If I'm not the most anal-retentive person on the Planet; I feel sorry for the one that it... )
    Pick one of them...A, or B.
    At each fill-up; note the mileage and actual gallons...
    Zero that odometer...
    Do the Math; at your leisure.

It'll allow you to keep an accurate picture of your fuel usage at your fingertips. (Or in your pocket anyway! )

Spyder Garage

Also keep in mind as someone stated. If you put the nozzle all the way in and stop when it clicks the first time, your not totally filling the tank. My method is to put it all the way in, let it go until it stops, then pull the handle out until there is about 2 inches of nozzle in the neck of the tank. Slowly fill it until I see the fuel just barely starts to splash out of the vent holes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by caw001 View Post
    I love all the speculation due to lack of detail! Sorry about that....

I have to say I did not start paying attention to the statistics until my 3rd fill (one at the dealer, and two myself).

Both times I filled up It took "about" 4.5 gallons (didn't pay attention). The first time was at 98 mi. (this one got my attention). The second was somewhere around 200. This was all in town stop and go driving, and being the owner of a brand new Spyder I have to admit I may have been a little heavy throttled at times as I have been ryding atop a magnificent beast.

The third time I filled it I decided I needed to figure out how to reset the trip meters so I could get the real facts and I did just that. I did some freeway driving to and from work and I am currently at 335 total miles and a 1/4 of a tank as it sits level in my garage. That's about 130 miles on 3/4 of a tank. So if you do the math on that, things are not looking so bad. I will take her for a spin tomorrow and refill again to get an accurate mileage burn.

I also have never waited to see the fuel light come on (quite frankly, didn't know there was one). Once I cross the black 1/4 tank marker I have been refilling because I just felt like It was going to burn that last bit of gas faster than I expected.

Yep its new, there is learning to be had. I've been trying the eco mode, but it seems that it always wants me in 6th gear. In stop and go driving that's not always possible to make that stretch and feel like you are doing the motor any justice.

We'll see how things go over the next couple tanks as the newness wears off. Does the "I just want to grab the throttle and GO!!!" feeling ever go away? I sure hope not...
    No, it never goes away. I have decided that on my current tank of fuel I will use the Eco Mode for the entire tank. It makes me feel like I'm a 90 year old driving a huge Buick 30 mph in the left lane. I almost always take off too fast and that overrides the Eco mode but I'm trying.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann,
    Retrieve your seat belt; it's hanging out the bottom of the closed door, and is throwing sparks!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Guilty

Yep happened to me about 3 weeks into my bike. I was on aRyde sponsored by a dealer and as we were leaving the darn thing would not start, couldn't figure it out. Asked one of the employees to assist and they hit the kill switch into the on position, and BAM it started right up
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.