Spyder Garage

Default ace cooling system

I have been smelling coolant and found one small puddle under the bike one morning
    I have been adding coolant to the cold mark on the tank like BRO recommend when it is cold
    Went to the dealer with the bike and the tech and I checked for leaks and found none
    What we did see was that the overflow bottle is the same bottle that is on the V twin
    The 1330 has tow radiators which is twice the coolant so when it heats up there is more going into coolant going into the plastic tank and if up fill it cold to the cold mark the tank can not hold it all when it heats up
    Now I look threw the wheel well to see the level and it has not gone down at all
    Has anyone else seen this or am I wrong and still have a problem

Spyder Garage

Are you sure the coolant cap was properlty tightened to the second detent? That will cause loss of coolant throough the overflow when the Spyder heats up. There have been no other reports of inadequate coolant reservoir capacity. If your dealer can't figure it out he needs to contact BRP Dealer Tech Support, not just shrug his shoulders.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Are you sure the coolant cap was properlty tightened to the second detent? That will cause loss of coolant throough the overflow when the Spyder heats up. There have been no other reports of inadequate coolant reservoir capacity. If your dealer can't figure it out he needs to contact BRP Dealer Tech Support, not just shrug his shoulders.
    Dealer was very good at checking everything and I have been a mechanic for 45 years
    The coolant cap was to the second detent every time there was coolant drops in the overflow tube. That is why I posted this to see if anyone else has noticed this
    The coolant has not dropped any more but it is not up to the cold mark on the tank

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    Dealer was very good at checking everything and I have been a mechanic for 45 years
    The coolant cap was to the second detent every time there was coolant drops in the overflow tube. That is why I posted this to see if anyone else has noticed this
    The coolant has not dropped any more but it is not up to the cold mark on the tank
    With no detectable leakage.

The only other thing that comes to mind Is a deffective cap spring or seal...since you're a mechanic I need not go further.

Could be an imperfection in the tank at the cap seal area too.

Grasping for straws perhaps. But hey, it's worth a look.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 02-04-2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: add comment

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Coolant..!!

Sounds like it was just that one time. Could have been some residue coolant from a previous fill. I'm sure they checked all the hose connections as well as the water pump. Have not heard of any other cases...keep an eye on it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    It does sound like it is continually being forced out of the overflow, but you are the first to report it...or to report any leakage. I still think the dealer needs to contact BRP. It could indicate a design problem, faulty coolant cap, a bad water pump, or some other cooling system obstruction. If it is not leaking from just the overflow, please note that some leaks on the Spyders are real hard to find, and with the new engine and tight quarters, dealers are neither familiar nor can they see every possible source. UV dye testing may be in order.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please continue to monitor this... And please let us know what happens next.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Please continue to monitor this... And please let us know what happens next.
    I am on a 250 mile ride now near Lake. Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada
    so far the coolant has not dropped any lower but it is not up to the cold level
    the bike runs great
    thank god for heated cloths it is 25 degrees here
    if any further news I will post it