Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT LTD 300 mile report

Traded my 2013 RT Ltd for 2014 RT Ltd (Cognac) on Friday and here are my observations:

Overall rating: "ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC"

Details: Engine is a marvel of smoothness and power. 6 speed tranny is wonderfully smooth-shifting with barely a noticeable "click" when shifting.
    Tracking is straight and true, even better than my 13 after new ball joints and alignment. Using the shift assistant, I found under light/normal acceleration, the shift points are at approx. 2700 rpm which finds you in 6th gear by the time you reach 50 mph and that works perfectly. No more need to rev up like the V-twin did. Did roll-ons at highway speeds and in 6th gear from any speed 50 mph and up, acceleration is superb (dare I say GoldWingIsh). Tried it from 45 mph and I don't recommend it. Found cruising at 75 mph taching 3800 rpm instead of a screaming 5500 rpm on my 13. Fuel economy was 30.7 mpg first tank but don't know if it was truly full at onset (was dealer fill-up). Fuel warning light came on at 157 miles. My 13 fuel warning light had come on at 123 miles on my 125 mile ride up to dealership in Clearwater, Fl. The oil check routine is quite easier than before with the stick under the seat. The overall ride and handling seems about the same as my 13 was - in other words quite good.

Now the biggie: heat is totally non-existent. However only rode in 84 degree weather today (after all it IS winter in south Florida!). A Small amount of warm air exits from both lower side vent grills and certainly no blast-furnace heat at your right foot. Reverse fans work flawlessly at low speed/stopped. The glove box now only got a little warm and the Styrofoam insulator is now gone which almost doubles size of storage compartment.

The only down-side I can think of if they did nothing to improve the teeny-weenie digital display lights and numbers the totally disappear in the sunlight. I still can't see the turn signal blinker lights in the sun.

Bonuses: (1) New Maintenance schedule, 3,000 mile first break-in inspection and 9,300 miles after that!!!
    (2) Garmin Zumo now comes with life-time free map updates (as long as you sign up for them within 60 days of first use).
    (3) The pesky flip-flopping turn signal switch the many of us complained about now seems to have been resolved.
    (4) A big, big bonus is the promotional 4 year warranty that BRP provided (I guess it is for a limited time).

So if anyone is contemplating going to a 2014, I strongly recommend the RT series and be prepared for a totally different ryding experience.

I say kudos, double kudos and triple kudos to BRP for a job really well done!

(This was written during super-bowl commercials, so you may find some typos).

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

On your 14 and may your life be perfect from now on!
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

on your 2014 RT Limited! Thanks for the update on your ride and overall impressions!

Since I live in cold Minnesnowta weather, I will have to wait until this weather warms up to do a ride -- I rode it from the enclosed trailer to the garage when they delivered it. I someday hope to move to a warmer climate in the winter. Again, thanks for the update.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new RT Ltd!
    All we need now are some photos for those of us still waiting delivery!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that your dealer may not have completely filled your Spyder. I have consistently had the low fuel light come on at 170 miles.

I totally agree on the display, it certainly needs to be improved. It is so hard to see in bright sunlight.

Enjoy your new ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    The only down-side I can think of if they did nothing to improve the teeny-weenie digital display lights and numbers the totally disappear in the sunlight. I still can't see the turn signal blinker lights in the sun.
    I agree about the blinkers. However, the good news is that it is easily and cheaply remedied by adding a short strip of amber waterproof LED on the inside edge of the rear view mirrors; which is what I am planning on doing.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice review..!!

though 300 miles is just a warm up..but you are confirming that things are going well. These are the review fence squatters need...thanks..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Congrats, and I agree, it's amazing. On my first tank, I got 36.5 mpg.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review and on the new ryde.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    Traded my 2013 RT Ltd for 2014 RT Ltd (Cognac) on Friday and here are my observations:

Overall rating: "ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC"

Details: Engine is a marvel of smoothness and power. 6 speed tranny is wonderfully smooth-shifting with barely a noticeable "click" when shifting.
    Tracking is straight and true, even better than my 13 after new ball joints and alignment. Using the shift assistant, I found under light/normal acceleration, the shift points are at approx. 2700 rpm which finds you in 6th gear by the time you reach 50 mph and that works perfectly. No more need to rev up like the V-twin did. Did roll-ons at highway speeds and in 6th gear from any speed 50 mph and up, acceleration is superb (dare I say GoldWingIsh). Tried it from 45 mph and I don't recommend it. Found cruising at 75 mph taching 3800 rpm instead of a screaming 5500 rpm on my 13. Fuel economy was 30.7 mpg first tank but don't know if it was truly full at onset (was dealer fill-up). Fuel warning light came on at 157 miles. My 13 fuel warning light had come on at 123 miles on my 125 mile ride up to dealership in Clearwater, Fl. The oil check routine is quite easier than before with the stick under the seat. The overall ride and handling seems about the same as my 13 was - in other words quite good.

Now the biggie: heat is totally non-existent. However only rode in 84 degree weather today (after all it IS winter in south Florida!). A Small amount of warm air exits from both lower side vent grills and certainly no blast-furnace heat at your right foot. Reverse fans work flawlessly at low speed/stopped. The glove box now only got a little warm and the Styrofoam insulator is now gone which almost doubles size of storage compartment.

Bonuses: (1) New Maintenance schedule, 3,000 mile first break-in inspection and 9,300 miles after that!!!
    (2) Garmin Zumo now comes with life-time free map updates (as long as you sign up for them within 60 days of first use).
    (3) The pesky flip-flopping turn signal switch the many of us complained about now seems to have been resolved.
    (4) A big, big bonus is the promotional 4 year warranty that BRP provided (I guess it is for a limited time).

So if anyone is contemplating going to a 2014, I strongly recommend the RT series and be prepared for a totally different ryding experience.

I say kudos, double kudos and triple kudos to BRP for a job really well done!

(This was written during super-bowl commercials, so you may find some typos).
    Exactly my thoughts, so far! BRP seems to have gotten it right this time!
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is the kind of feedback I love to hear. I am waiting to hear a few more reviews before I take the leap and trade in my 2013 RT-S for a 2014 RT-S.
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Spyder Garage

Tom

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your report on the first 300 miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel update

Second tank today - light on at 177 miles, filled a little later and calculated at 35.03 mpg. Pretty awesome IMO.

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post New owner

Thanks for all your input. My 2014 RT Limited should be arriving in about 2 weeks,and boy am i excited.Was just wondering how to treat it on its breakin period.Don't wanna do any damage.

Spyder Garage

Default Amber turn signal lighs on mirrors -- kind of like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    I agree about the blinkers. However, the good news is that it is easily and cheaply remedied by adding a short strip of amber waterproof LED on the inside edge of the rear view mirrors; which is what I am planning on doing.
    Completed mine a few months ago (also have a photo of the HMT brake light -- added it for visibility to the rear when stopping) -- here's a few pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lookin' Great!
    How tough is it to install the HMT?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Lookin' Great!
    How tough is it to install the HMT?
    JLSpyder had an easier time of it then I did as I ended up removing the right panel to route the wire to the brake light, but even then it was not that hard to do. Highly recommended
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue