Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another 2014 with an oil leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 miles and I read some posts about oil leaking. I go check and sure enough on the right front side, I see oil droplets. So pissed. Taking it to the dealer Monday. Whats causing this? I own a 2014 RTS SE6 vin #570! So flipping pissed!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

By any chance; could you post some pics of where this is happening?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    By any chance; could you post some pics of where this is happening?
    yea, lemme go grab a few pix. I read some other posts, they are saying its the clutch housing screw needing Loctite.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SAPD911; 02-01-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks...
    (Calling my dealer on Monday to have them double-check that little beauty...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I just checked and mine has the oil leak as well. Life happens. I have worse things happen.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 02-01-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    I just checked and mine has the oil leak as well.
    Dealer is closed Monday, guess I wait. Cant believe that BRP doesn't know about this. I mean I have VIN #570 and supposedly they knew about the earlier ones!

Spyder Garage

Default what they said was

according to the what was posted b4, the oil needed to be drained than the new locktite was to be done. you wonder if they feel they can pull the screw and stick it right back in with the oil still in the bike, so than it doesn't seal right
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    according to the what was posted b4, the oil needed to be drained than the new locktite was to be done. you wonder if they feel they can pull the screw and stick it right back in with the oil still in the bike, so than it doesn't seal right
    not sure, my wife is more pissed than me. I am just glad I caught it early.

Spyder Garage

Default They know..!!

don't know if all the dealers know and do this before delivery. Simple fix for a small leak..hope they are not just waiting for first service to care of it. Seems the best time would be at assembly..jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post

No the oil must be removed and somewhere in the process they have to use a locktite promoter, it also requires some drying time

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I can understand being unhappy because a new toy is leaking. We all want them to be perfect. I can't really understand the depth of some owner's displeasure or worry, however. Engines have been leaking for a hundred years. As long as it doesn't run the oil so low the oil pressure drops or the engine/transmission malfunctions or is damaged, and as long as the oil doesn't get on the rear tire tread, it can be lived with. BRP knows about it and will fix it. If the setscrew Loctite doesn't cure it, or a new screw doesn't, they will come up with a more thorough procedure or a new fix. Take a deep breath, then let it out slowly.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

So that is at least 570 with this possible problem ? What was the build date should be on the left swing arm?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default add mine to the list

Quote Originally Posted by SAPD911 View Post
    30 miles and I read some posts about oil leaking. I go check and sure enough on the right front side, I see oil droplets. So pissed. Taking it to the dealer Monday. Whats causing this? I own a 2014 RTS SE6 vin #570! So flipping pissed!
    I have oil leak and coolant leak going in monday

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I can understand being unhappy because a new toy is leaking. We all want them to be perfect. I can't really understand the depth of some owner's displeasure or worry, however. Engines have been leaking for a hundred years. As long as it doesn't run the oil so low the oil pressure drops or the engine/transmission malfunctions or is damaged, and as long as the oil doesn't get on the rear tire tread, it can be lived with. BRP knows about it and will fix it. If the setscrew Loctite doesn't cure it, or a new screw doesn't, they will come up with a more thorough procedure or a new fix. Take a deep breath, then let it out slowly.

chill out, it is a minor problem that will be fixed, it does not prevent you from riding or anything else, it should be a minor inconvenience at most.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    chill out, it is a minor problem that will be fixed, it does not prevent you from riding or anything else, it should be a minor inconvenience at most.

Cruzr Joe
    It is not a minor inconvenience when the another dealer told me he would not work on it because my vin# doesn't show up on the warranty web site
    The dealer I bought it from will do the work on Monday but he is 250 miles away and it is 15 to 20 degrees out and I will be ridding the bike there
    Also I am calling BRO on Monday to ask them what is up the their warranty program
    What if I was stuck out on the road would they say no and leave me there to freeze
    Not a good way to treat customers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    It is not a minor inconvenience when the another dealer told me he would not work on it because my vin# doesn't show up on the warranty web site
    The dealer I bought it from will do the work on Monday but he is 250 miles away and it is 15 to 20 degrees out and I will be ridding the bike there
    Also I am calling BRO on Monday to ask them what is up the their warranty program
    What if I was stuck out on the road would they say no and leave me there to freeze

I was referring to taking it to a competent dealer to get it corrected. I agree with you that apparently the dealer that refused to do it is not customer oriented.

good luck and i hope your dealer gets it corrected for you. any improper workings on these or any machine is upsetting, but if your dealer (or any dealer) is smart they can fix this properly the first time and make a better customer out of you.

Believe me when i say that i was not trying to downplay the frustration of any mechanical problem

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

VIN # 570 doesn't mean that yours is the 570th made.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

541 miles on the spyder. Frame# 351 No leaks yet.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nils888 View Post
    541 miles on the spyder. Frame# 351 No leaks yet.

799 Miles on vin # 330 and no leaks (yet)

Not all will leak.

Cruzr Joe

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Folks,,this is so painless it's not funny, they drain they oil remove screw use loctite and screw away lol.... Think of it this way you get new oil lol, if this is the only thing that people are complaint about its a good thing remember the 13s. Take a deep breathe friends

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    Sounds like your original dealer did not correctly register the warranty. You should have signed a warranty registration form when you picked up your Spyder. The dealer must file that with BRP. Phone the original dealer and lean on him to get it registered. Tell him if he doesn't do so he can bring a trailer the 250 miles and pick up your Spyder. Don't talk to the salesman, talk to the dealership owner if possible. It will take some patience to get through this, but it will all be worked out. My dealer neglected to register my warranty and I got an extra four months worth out of the deal, so it isn't always all bad. Don't be surprised if your local dealer is reluctant to work on it, or gives you a hard time. You bypassed him and went 250 miles to buy from someone else. He's not likely to be thrilled.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    799 Miles on vin # 330 and no leaks (yet)

Not all will leak.

Cruzr Joe
    Sounds like a random problem. May be that someone on the assembly line had some bad days. Maybe didn't think they needed to use the locktite promoter or they were not applying enough locktite, who knows.

No one is saying this is ideal nor is anyone making excuses for BRP. Everyone agrees that every new Spyder should be perfect. Still, the fact is that we know they aren't all going to be perfect.

On a scale of 1-10, this is about a 1/2 . Once it is fixed you should never have any more issues. Your future is very bright!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default TRADE IT

I'll trade you even up
    SFC. RICK & LORI

Retired US Army , Member Michigan PRG
    RIDE HARD/RIDE SAFE

2013 RT Limited Black Currant New 4/8/2013
    2010 RT Audio Package Black/ Sold 2012
    2008 GS Silver Moon /Sold 2010