Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Shifting in the 2014

Quote Originally Posted by maliamd View Post
    Question.....do you have to be going a certain speed to shift up? I was trying out my new 2014 and determining the shift speeds. I tried going into 5th gear from 4th at about 32 mph. It would not let me shift up. I then increased my speed to about 38mph and it shifted into 5th gear without any problem. Is this normal?
    I see that some are questioning what type of machine you have. From your Avatar, it looks like an RT. Now, I guess the real question is the type of transmission you have. I also have a '14 ES-6. I tend to keep an eye more on the tech than the speedo. I find the lowest RPM that the machine will allow one to shift is 2500 RPM. From 5th to 6th is a little higher closer to 3000 RPM. Now that is a nice an easy Sunday ride through the park so to speak.

But on another note. It seems to me that the '14 (that has more torque) does not have the 'top-end' capabilities that the previous two cylinder engines are able to reach. Perhaps there is someone out there that could answer that question.
    Ron

Spyder Garage

This thread is IMO, the best discussion so far concerning shift points on the new 2014 RT's.

The best "official" information on shift points seems to be in the video presentation showing ECO Mode use. Those low shift points seem quite scary to those of us who were previously Rotax 998 pilots.

I have always shifted by RPM as opposed to speed X. That takes care of a lot of the variables like road conditions etc.

Bob and I have had an ongoing discussion on non ECO Mode use. He recommends 2000 - 2500 rpm's as the ballpark shift point. I used that for awhile, but now use 2750 - 3000 rpm's as my ballpark shift point. I just like the feel and sound of the engine a little more in the slightly higher configuration. I note that others have even suggested higher. Bottom line: I don't think there is anything wrong with any of these suggestions and you drive your 2014 the way you like. I also don't believe that at this level of operation that any 2014's are going to be harmed or be accused of being abused. The owners manual is quiet on the subject as far as I can see and only talks about ECO Mode.

My average mileage is still right at 37 mpg at either 2500 or 3000 shift points. I am holding in that mpg mode with every tank. Now 3500 miles on the tripmeter.

I did try Eco Mode and did not like it. You spend too much time looking at the dash waiting for the green arrow to pop up. That can be dangerous if you are driving in heavy traffic. I have grown very accustomed to the sound of my engine at the "magic" shift point--so don't need to monitor the tach constantly.

RE: Trip meter and Gas gauge at 225 miles and three bars of gas gone. I am guessing that someone forgot to reset the trip meter.

RE: Digital gas gauges showing--you can get that configuration on your RT-S or RT-L if you disconnect the analog gauges. I have found disconnection to be not necessary. So far my gas gauge is rock solid. I do have the gauges disconnected on our 2011 though.

Just my .02 on the subject.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-30-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    This thread is IMO, the best discussion so far concerning shift points on the new 2014 RT's.

The best "official" information on shift points seems to be in the video presentation showing ECO Mode use. Those low shift points seem quite scary to those of us who were previously Rotax 998 pilots.

I have always shifted by RPM as opposed to speed X. That takes care of a lot of the variables like road conditions etc.

Bob and I have had an ongoing discussion on non ECO Mode use. He recommends 2000 - 2500 rpm's as the ballpark shift point. I used that for awhile, but now use 2750 - 3000 rpm's as my ballpark shift point. I just like the feel and sound of the engine a little more in the slightly higher configuration. I note that others have even suggested higher. Bottom line: I don't think there is anything wrong with any of these suggestions and you drive your 2014 the way you like. I also don't believe that at this level of operation that any 2014's are going to be harmed or be accused of being abused. The owners manual is quiet on the subject as far as I can see and only talks about ECO Mode.

My average mileage is still right at 37 mpg at either 2500 or 3000 shift points. I am holding in that mpg mode with every tank. Now 3500 miles on the tripmeter.

I did try Eco Mode and did not like it. You spend too much time looking at the dash waiting for the green arrow to pop up. That can be dangerous if you are driving in heavy traffic. I have grown very accustomed to the sound of my engine at the "magic" shift point--so don't need to monitor the tach constantly.

RE: Trip meter and Gas gauge at 225 miles and three bars of gas gone. I am guessing that someone forgot to reset the trip meter.

RE: Digital gas gauges showing--you can get that configuration on your RT-S or RT-L if you disconnect the analog gauges. I have found disconnection to be not necessary. So far my gas gauge is rock solid. I do have the gauges disconnected on our 2011 though.

Just my .02 on the subject.
    As usual, insightful.