Spyder Garage

Default Operating the 2014

I just got my 2014 RT-S and I was looking through the operator's guide that came with the bike. It is the same manual that was for my 2013! It says 2014 but there is nothing in the manual about shifting, rpm's, eco mode, etc. It even has the auto frunk opener switch which does not come on the 2014. Does anyone know where I can get information about the 2014?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maliamd View Post
    I just got my 2014 RT-S and I was looking through the operator's guide that came with the bike. It is the same manual that was for my 2013! It says 2014 but there is nothing in the manual about shifting, rpm's, eco mode, etc. It even has the auto frunk opener switch which does not come on the 2014. Does anyone know where I can get information about the 2014?
    The issue about the frunk switch seems to be an after the fact (manual printed) glitch. The manual talks about the SE6 on page 13--but I cannot find where it discusses shifting protocol on the 2014. I only printed up to page 54 or so--to get basic information and conserve paper. Good question.

There are some videos on the BRP site that discuss shifting--you might check them out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here's a link for all pdf operator manuals...
    http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...226.1383261734
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that you can engage ECO mode by pushing in and holding the "mode" button for about two or three seconds...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are a couple of references to the ECO mode button, but most of the info is on page 31 of the digital and printed manual. As for the shifting, I have never put my car in 5th gear at 30 or 32 and I do not put my spyder in 5th at that speed either.

Spyder Garage

To turn on ECO you do hold down the mode switch for a few seconds. I tried the ECO mode today and to tell the truth, I turned it off when I got to a light. What I did not like was the way it had me shifting into 5th and 6th gear before reaching 50 mph. Either way it did shift smoothly and I am really liking the way it handles.

AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    To turn on ECO you do hold down the mode switch for a few seconds. I tried the ECO mode today and to tell the truth, I turned it off when I got to a light. What I did not like was the way it had me shifting into 5th and 6th gear before reaching 50 mph. Either way it did shift smoothly and I am really liking the way it handles.

AC

While I got you here...for the life of me I can't get my frunk open on my 2014. I followed the directions but it still won't open. Push key down, Turn key counterclockwise 1/4 turn. Doesn't work!! Any hints????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you get the seat up for fueling?
    it's exact same process; you're just turning the key in the other direction...

Spyder Garage

Make sure that the frunk is tightly closed and then try it push key all the way down and twist one way and the seat unlocks, twist the other way and the frunk unlocks. Then go back to your dealer and slap him in the head and make him do a pre delivery show for you.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or you can always buy the button...

Spyder Garage

While I got you here...for the life of me I can't get my frunk open on my 2014. I followed the directions but it still won't open. Push key down, Turn key counterclockwise 1/4 turn. Doesn't work!! Any hints????
    Had this happen with my 2011 once, found out that I had not closed the frunk all the way, with my 14 I can't hear the latch letting go so I tend to turn the key and while the key is turned I reach over and open the frunk.
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Also, if you have something in the frunk that pushes out the lid a little, it may not allow the latch to disengage. While pushing down and twisting the key the correct direction, push down on the top/middle of the trunk to relieve any pressure there might be against the latch.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

What Mark said! The frunk on my '13 does not just pop open when I twist the key. It is very snug. Just a slight downward pressure on the lid as you turn the key may help. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Took everyone's advice and pushed firmly down on the frunk while moving the key and up she popped. Thanks !!!

Spyder Garage

Took everyone's advice and pushed firmly down on the frunk while moving the key and up she popped. Thanks !!!
    Check to see if the trunk weatherstrip has pulled off the lip or is improperly installed over the top of the trunk liner. If it pushes in between the trunk lip and the lid, it will hinder opening. Lubricate both components of the latch. If everything is up to snuff and it still sticks, the latch may need adjustment.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!