Thread: 2014 Oil Leak

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Oil Leak

A couple friends both have 2014 RT Spyders. One of them posted this on facebook . . . anyone have any ideas/similar problems? "My brother and I are getting a oil leak on the right, bottom of the bike. I noticed after the last 120 mile ride and wiped it off. We did a 140 mile ride today and again there is oil on the plastic cover. We both have the 2014 RT Limited models. Is anybody else having this problem? Both are service departments of the Ride Now have been told and awaiting reports after they inspect the bikes. I told my service guy about the clutch cover oil leak, set screw not properly locktite, I was informed about and supposedly they fixed it."

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Several got out from the factory before they discovered the leak. keep a good eye on the oil and you should be good till the shop repairs it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Out of the first 3 2014 RT's sent from the dealer where I purchased mine, had the same problem. This solved a problem real quick for them. They knew what was wrong and made sure mine and all others were ok before they left the dealership. I am sure they also reported this to BRP hdq. No problem after that for me.
    Baja Ron Anti-sway bar
    Spyder Pop's skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

there was a problem with the loctite on one of the bolts and needs to be addressed. The dealers are aware so if you develop a leak right hand side take it in and have them make the repair. The oil will blow back towards the rear wheel on the brake side...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default One of the leakers

Thanks Dan for the post since I am one of the culprits with a leak. I did post this under another forum where some poor guys new Spyder broke down under 50 miles. I do have an appointment next Friday since I hit 600 miles for oil change and they are going to take a hard look where the leak is @. But the service tech, after reviewing what you just discussed about the clutch screw, thinks that is it. Will be a bit disappointed with my brothers service dept if his is the same thing and they gave him lip service and didn't really fix it like they said they did. Point is his is still leaking after the supposed fix! It is a "very minor" leak. Of course can not see how much is in the Tupperware body but after a 200 mile ride today there was only a few drops on the bottom.
    Tim

Spyder Garage

Default Vin of leaker

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    My new 2014 RT-S SE6 leaked oil film all over cat & muffler within about 50 miles after tech re-loctited clutch housing set screw under right side.
    BRP is overnighting a new designed screw, is my understanding first batch of 2014 RT's have the oil leak. My vin # 000354; built Dec 20th, 2013 Friday.
    When was yours built; vin #?
    I just wiped all the oil off muffler,etc. stuffed a few polish clothes underneath oil drip leak & keep riding. No oil leaking out of cloths, so good until next week when they will replace oil set screw. Awesome triple motor!!
    Jim
    My vin is 000172
    Tim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just wondering....wouldn't it make more sense to put a copper crush washer under that bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    New here and first post. We bought a 2014 RTs in White last weekend. I have searched this site for a photo of the leaking fastener. Has a photo been posted to show where it is?

I did find what appears to be a drain bolt with a copper crush gasket on the underside of the right side of the engine or transmission. Not exactly certain and have not gotten a service manual yet.

The fastener I mentioned is cad plated in a golden color.

Also, while not dripping wet with oil, it was not dry either.

Again, looking for a photo if it exists.

Thanks
    PK
    Pretty sure what you describe is the drain bolt for the motor. Theres another on other side to drain the gear box.

Don't know where the dripping culprit is located as mine is dry
    with Vin 568 (or thereabouts).
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    A couple friends both have 2014 RT Spyders. One of them posted this on facebook . . . anyone have any ideas/similar problems? "My brother and I are getting a oil leak on the right, bottom of the bike. I noticed after the last 120 mile ride and wiped it off. We did a 140 mile ride today and again there is oil on the plastic cover. We both have the 2014 RT Limited models. Is anybody else having this problem? Both are service departments of the Ride Now have been told and awaiting reports after they inspect the bikes. I told my service guy about the clutch cover oil leak, set screw not properly locktite, I was informed about and supposedly they fixed it."
    I just found my leak, have 35 miles , 2014 RTS. front right dripping from the plastic underneath. Nothing has fell to the floor but the plastic has oil droplets!

Spyder Garage

I got it too. I drove 50 miles home from dealer after buying it and had to add a 1/2 qt.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SAPD911 View Post
    I just found my leak, have 35 miles , 2014 RTS. front right dripping from the plastic underneath. Nothing has fell to the floor but the plastic has oil droplets!
    The plastic isn't leaking...it is just catching the leaks. You still haven't found the source.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The plastic isn't leaking...it is just catching the leaks. You still haven't found the source.
    No I haven't but it all points to the clutch screw. Taking it to the dealer Tuesday. That's what warranties are for.

http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfi...et%20Screw.pdf

Spyder Garage

Default What approx VIN number (or build date) did the oil leak get fixed????

Does anyone know approx. when this oil leak was fixed at the factory....i.e. did it happen in the first 500 VIN numbers or ???? Any reference build date and/or VIN range?

Thanks for any help here....I'll check as I go!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JLSpyder2012 View Post
    Does anyone know approx. when this oil leak was fixed at the factory....i.e. did it happen in the first 500 VIN numbers or ???? Any reference build date and/or VIN range?

Thanks for any help here....I'll check as I go!
    My vin is 570 and I have a leak.

Spyder Garage

My Dealer told me the 08-09s have had the least problems of ALL he has seen ?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

i have VIN # 330 and no leak, so it appears that some of the earlier releases will have the problem, but it is easily fixed by a competent dealer.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Addressed by Dealer Beore Delivery

My RT Limited came in Tuesday and my dealership said they had already been notified by BRP about the problem so they made sure the problem was addressed before I took delivery. I've put about 300 miles on mine and have had no signs of leaks.

Spyder at Home.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revving Tim View Post
    Thanks Dan for the post since I am one of the culprits with a leak. I did post this under another forum where some poor guys new Spyder broke down under 50 miles. I do have an appointment next Friday since I hit 600 miles for oil change and they are going to take a hard look where the leak is @. But the service tech, after reviewing what you just discussed about the clutch screw, thinks that is it. Will be a bit disappointed with my brothers service dept if his is the same thing and they gave him lip service and didn't really fix it like they said they did. Point is his is still leaking after the supposed fix! It is a "very minor" leak. Of course can not see how much is in the Tupperware body but after a 200 mile ride today there was only a few drops on the bottom.
    Tim, the first service isn't due until 3,000 miles
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    very nice...

But of course; you ARE correct; the leak is still upstream of the puddle...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Just a .02 Back to my consumer advocacy mode.

Fortunately, the oil leak is just a small glitch. It needs to be addressed and fixed promptly. A $30K machine should be coming out of the dealer without a leak that they now know about. They need to get their act together. Machines should now be coming from the factory--with no leaks.

The quicker they get it solved, the quicker it will go away. BRP needs a good year with the 2014's, and I think they know it. That is in our favor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Under clutch housing right side small set screw oil drip leak photo 2014 RT

2014 RT set screw oil leak underneath.jpg2014oil set set screw.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    New here and first post. We bought a 2014 RTs in White last weekend. I have searched this site for a photo of the leaking fastener. Has a photo been posted to show where it is?

I did find what appears to be a drain bolt with a copper crush gasket on the underside of the right side of the engine or transmission. Not exactly certain and have not gotten a service manual yet.
    (note:That is engine/trans oil drain plug). Here is photo of small 6mm set screw & oil drip leak under right side clutch housing. Hope this helps. Jim

The fastener I mentioned is cad plated in a golden color.

Also, while not dripping wet with oil, it was not dry either.

Again, looking for a photo if it exists.

Thanks
    PK

Spyder Garage

Default leak

it is a small problem and a quick fix, but i do agree it should not be happening to a new bike
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME