Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil leaks on two 2014 RTLimited

Sorry to hear about your breakdown. Just a heads up to all you 2014 owners. My brother and I received our Spyders a little over a week ago and have detected a small oil leak coming out the right front bottom. Brother had a possible leak source, identified by Can Am about a bolt in the clutch housing, looked @ and supposedly dealt with by his dealer. I have a different dealer and since I already have 600 miles on the Spyder they are going to change fluids next week and try to identify leak source. Will keep you informed. Interesting both machines, which came in on the same shipment, have identical leaks in same place. Would like to figure out how to post the notice from Can Am about possible leak with clutch bolt. Otherwise I could type it in.
    Tim

Spyder Garage

Another reason to wait until 2015.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why?
    This was an issue with the "human" side of the equation...
    Will anybody be smarter next year???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes! They will find a way to machine that cover eliminating that "screw plug" completely and removing that source of the leak. All new things come with new problems.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default face it

we all know that with a new bike or car somethings can go wrong, so i don't think that next year will be any different unless this problem turns out to be like the heat problems on the 13's than there would be changes. if the problem he is having is minor and his transmission was not damaged than it could be fixed, i still wouldn't want the bike back but that is his choice. it is a shame that BRP is in canada and that they don't have service people here in the states from a factory than can go see what happened to his bike. yes we have trained service people but it would be better if a service person from the factory could look at the problem and work with the service person at the dealer to fix the problem rather do it over a phone. we have no heard what is going on with the bike or i missed it but i hope it gets fixed for him
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Best thing to do here is wait until the dealer has a chance to see what is wrong. And correct it if they can.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also have an oil leak at 35 miles, 14 RTS. They say its the clutch screw or something. Was about to go for a ride but can't now and now I am at the flipping mercy of the service dept!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SAPD911 View Post
    I also have an oil leak at 35 miles, 14 RTS. They say its the clutch screw or something. Was about to go for a ride but can't now and now I am at the flipping mercy of the service dept!
    No reason not to ride the bike because of a small oil drip. Just check the oil level and go.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep the situation under close scrutiny, and ride it anywy!
    From what BikerDoc has reported with his; the 1330s don't seem to burn any oil... Whereas the Vee-Twins were always being topped-off...

Spyder Garage

Default word

still no word on what the dealer found on his bike, not a good sign
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Arrow

If the cause was not blatantly obvious. A thorough investigation takes time. The results of which. We may never really know.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I dropped in on Saturday, BRP's people and the mechanic have been on it, they sent BRP all the codes (apparently there were a lot) and BRP has the solution although I do not know precisely what they found they are removing parts from the assembly line to send to them out by Tuesday for expedited repairs. This may not have anything to do with dealer prep but I will let you know for sure once they make the repairs. I don't mind them making the repairs and I really appreciate how they (BRP and the Dealer ) have responded. Some one has to ride the 14's so the 15's can be trouble free, lol.

I just seem to have been born on the wrong day, when I bought my 2011 it lasted just 109 miles before it broke down. Following that I had to tow it in twice and was able to drive it back in for a multitude of different issues. Even today, the ECM seems to be far to touchy as it threw all kind of codes. All in all it has given me orange screens a good 100 times. On the flip side, most of my riding buddies have had very little or no complaints with their rides

So, keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    still no word on what the dealer found on his bike, not a good sign
    Last edited by bluestratos; 02-03-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default your

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I dropped in on Saturday, BRP's people and the mechanic have been on it, they sent BRP all the codes (apparently there were a lot) and BRP has the solution although I do not know precisely what they found they are removing parts from the assembly line to send to them out by Tuesday for expedited repairs. This may not have anything to do with dealer prep but I will let you know for sure once they make the repairs. I don't mind them making the repairs and I really appreciate how they (BRP and the Dealer ) have responded. Some one has to ride the 14's so the 15's can be trouble free, lol.

I just seem to have been born on the wrong day, when I bought my 2011 it lasted just 109 miles before it broke down. Following that I had to two it in twice and was able to drive it back in for a multitude of different issues. Even today, the ECM seems to be far to touchy as it threw all kind of codes. All in all it has given me orange screens a good 100 times.

So, keep you posted
    your taking it better than i would. so good luck with whatever they are doing
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    The real kicks in the chops is while it's broken within the first 24 hours of delivery. His faith in the product is badly shaken up to the point of not being able to say " it's fantastic!" If anything it serves to make him super aware of anything not termed as normal feeling, sounding or looking. The selling dealer just lost a valuable asset called a satisfied buyer too.

The rule of ten will prevail in a situation like this! One tells one who in turn tells ten who in turn tell ten who repeat it to ten more and you got this giant snowball rolling down hill at you!

It's a sorry deal for everyone involved and it's to late to stop the snowball now!!!

Lemon Law fodder?
    yep

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    No reason not to ride the bike because of a small oil drip. Just check the oil level and go.
    Uhm no, gonna wait till Tuesday and see what the dealer has to say!

Spyder Garage

I just seem to have been born on the wrong day, when I bought my 2011 it lasted just 109 miles before it broke down. Following that I had to two it in twice and was able to drive it back in for a multitude of different issues. Even today, the ECM seems to be far to touchy as it threw all kind of codes. All in all it has given me orange screens a good 100 times.

So, keep you posted
    Randy,
    Hope you get an early fix and back to riding.
    Joseph

Spyder Garage

Default I am impressed!

I got a call from my dealer today (they are closed on Sundays and Mondays) and I was put on the line with the Tech from BRP that flew out and arrived this morning at their dealership (I am on the west coast north of Seattle). We spoke about what I heard and felt and he is personally working on the tranny to replace parts and to diagnose what he discovers from the parts that are being removed. These are being sent back to the factory for further testing. The oil level was fine and actually showed about 3/4ers of a liter high which is what I had added so dealer prep was not the issue . I should hear back later today on what they discovered but it is a great to have the manufacturer step up like this and the commitment to finding the problem so others do not have a similar issue.

Assuming we get this this figured out soon I am looking forward to taking delivery... again...lol of my new toy and putting some miles on.

Thank you Lifestyles Honda and BRP for some great customer service.

Regards,

Randy
    Last edited by bluestratos; 02-04-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Randy,

Thanks for the update.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sure seems as if the "A-Team" has been brought in on this one! Here's to hoping for a complete rcovery!
    ...And then: lots of miles and smiles!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfi...et%20Screw.pdf

Well now the confusion sets in the dealer and by me. Read the above bulletin and page 1 says to use Loctite 7649. However when you scroll down to page 4, its says to use Loctite 4976, scroll down some more and it says to use 4679 then again says 4976.

Cal BRP and its a typo on their part, 7649 is the one you need!
    Last edited by SAPD911; 02-04-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SAPD911 View Post
    http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfi...et%20Screw.pdf

Well now the confusion sets in the dealer and by me. Read the above bulletin and page 1 says to use Loctite 7649. However when you scroll down to page 4, its says to use Loctite 4976, scroll down some more and it says to use 4679 then again says 4976.

Cal BRP and its a typo on their part, 7649 is the on you need!

They said the 7649 PRIMER is absolutely necessary and then to use blue 243 and let it "set up" for 5 min. Blue stuff I've used seemed to take longer than that. Oh well, their nickle!

Also, never knew the blue stuff could be used as a sealer; thought it was just a medium hardener to keep bolts from coming loose.

So far, with 350 miles on mine ( 20 Dec 13 build date), the OEM stuff is still holding. The DRIP hadn't surfaced when I got mine. Have there been more than two or three DRIPS so far?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I got a call from my dealer today (they are closed on Sundays and Mondays) and I was put on the line with the Tech from BRP that flew out and arrived this morning at their dealership (I am on the west coast north of Seattle). We spoke about what I heard and felt and he is personally working on the tranny to replace parts and to diagnose what he discovers from the parts that are being removed. These are being sent back to the factory for further testing. The oil level was fine and actually showed about 3/4ers of a liter high which is what I had added so dealer prep was not the issue . I should hear back later today on what they discovered but it is a great to have the manufacturer step up like this and the commitment to finding the problem so others do not have a similar issue.

Assuming we get this this figured out soon I am looking forward to taking delivery... again...lol of my new toy and putting some miles on.

Regards,

Randy
    Should we assume you decided NOT to back out of the deal within 72 hours of purchase?
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    They said the 7649 PRIMER is absolutely necessary and then to use blue 243 and let it "set up" for 5 min. Blue stuff I've used seemed to take longer than that. Oh well, their nickle!

Also, never knew the blue stuff could be used as a sealer; thought it was just a medium hardener to keep bolts from coming loose.

So far, with 350 miles on mine ( 20 Dec 13 build date), the OEM stuff is still holding. The DRIP hadn't surfaced when I got mine. Have there been more than two or three DRIPS so far?
    I only saw two drips. Oh well, not gonna mess with it, its sitting in the dealers back lot and not in my garage. Probably gonna be dirty when I pick it up in 7-10 days. (awaiting loctite to be ordered) Can you tell I'm in a pissed off mood!

Spyder Garage

Default wow

Regards,

Randy
    they are in panic mode right now, if they find out that parts are failing that will be very bad for them. glad they have flown in a tech but this could be bad for all 14 owners now. i also wonder if they will stop shipping till they find out what the problem is
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Calm down cuzn. It's more likely to be a one off. After all, It happened in the first few miles and there are numerous units in operation showing no signs of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    they are in panic mode right now, if they find out that parts are failing that will be very bad for them. glad they have flown in a tech but this could be bad for all 14 owners now. i also wonder if they will stop shipping till they find out what the problem is