Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Was this an official, "Blonde Moment"???
    I've gone more red on the hair so you can't use the blonde moments on me anymore. But it was a moment. On the SE I would be trying to change gears with my foot and on the SM I can't figure out how to shift.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Today I couldn't get the 2011 to start. I forgot to pull in the clutch.
    .....or put it in neutral.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    49??? (Damn Kids)

Cruzr Joe

Yepper......

Spyder Garage

SE all the way. If it didn't work so well, i.e. if it wasn't faster than the SM, I *might* feel differently.

On two wheels? I feel weird not having a manual, as I was taught from the beginning to use my clutch as an extra safety device. And slipping a clutch makes slow-speed parking lot maneuvers a piece of cake (for some reason, I've always wobbled like crazy on a scooter CVT but give me a clutch and I'm doing gymkhana around the cones).

But on three wheels? There's no point to the SM in my opinion. It shifts slower, it's extra work, it gives me TWO things I must always do with my feet, and most significantly of all I can't drop the Spyder in slow-speed maneuvers so why would I ever need to slip a clutch?

I find a manual to be fun on two wheels. I love my manual with four wheels. With three wheels? I'm an SE addict, it's one of the unique things that sold me on the Spyder, it's just too much fun for me.

P.S. I've noticed more bikes at the motorcycle show with SE transmissions-- the new Hondas have them as options. I'm curious how they ride, I might take one for a spin, but again, in THAT case, on *two* wheels, I'd fear not having a clutch. Maybe I shouldn't...
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

And I know I'm in the minority on this but I still prefer to shift the old fashioned way.
    You're not in as much of a minority as you think. The clutching and shifting is what makes the Spyder feel like a motorcycle to me. Without it, it is a snowmbile with a paddle shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    On the SM you can shift even faster without using the clutch.
    Absolutely. The clutch is only needed to get going from a stop. I still ride MX and you can just pop it in gear with as much throttle as you want - no clutch going up through the gears.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    SE all the way. If it didn't work so well, i.e. if it wasn't faster than the SM, I *might* feel differently.
    I might be missing something, but where is it stated that the SE is quicker? My neighbor has an SE and you can't slam it through the gears like an SM. There is a distinct delay between shifts and the throttle is rolled back if you don't let off. With the SM, you have total control. The throttle, clutch and shifting can all be done simultaneously. I think it depends on rider experience.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SE or SM... what ever blows yer skirt up!!!! glad they have both.
    I'm just glad I'm not as old as Y'all!!!!!
    only been riding street bikes for 53 years....

Spyder Garage

I've always felt like a fish out of water on a semi auto Spyder, in fact when I picked up the 2014 RT I had to push it out of a parking place because I couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse. Well today I took the 2014 to the dealer for service and they let me take the 2011 RTS SM that I was riding before the test Spyder I got onto it and started laughing because I couldn't remember how to put it into reverse.

I appreciate the 2014 even more now that I've put over 4,000 miles on one and I have the opportunity to go back to a 2011. The handling is far superior on the 2014 and the ride is so smooth. I felt every bump on the 2011 today. At first I didn't care for the sound of the 2014 but now I find that I like it better than the 2011.

And I know I'm in the minority on this but I still prefer to shift the old fashioned way.

Not at all. I prefer manual shift on a motorcycle all the time.

The 2011........did it have the RonBar on it ? I've found that's the biggest upgrade to my 2010 suspension.
    It might be of interest to have a side by side comparison of a 2014 and a 2012 or earlier with the RonBar.
    I always knew that BRP was going to make some modifications to the suspension. That's why I got my sway bar as soon as I could.
    Another few years and there won't be much market for suspension upgrades to the 2010-2012 machines.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    SE or SM... what ever blows yer skirt up!!!! glad they have both.
    I'm just glad I'm not as old as Y'all!!!!!
    only been riding street bikes for 53 years....
    It's not the age, it's the mileage!
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It's not the mileage.... it's the roads you've been down...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Agree!! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i'm with you on this one!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default No Right Foots?

You may be in the minority, but you are not alone. Nancy and I prefer the old fashioned way, too. For me it's really more a matter of less confusion. I still ride a lot of other bikes. My left hand and left foot understand that very well after 55 years of riding, and they don't like to learn new things.
    So, you didn't keep any of those old right-foot shifters?

Put something exciting between your legs--ride a Spyder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've gone more red on the hair so you can't use the blonde moments on me anymore. But it was a moment. On the SE I would be trying to change gears with my foot and on the SM I can't figure out how to shift.
    Really? ?
    That is the ONE hair color that I'm powerless against...

Tell Joe that I'm sorry...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Well I sorta agree

with this too. But with over 600,000 miles on two wheels I feel I qualify here as well. My riding started with a Cushman, but no cvt (centrifugal) to us older folk. The shift lever was under the seat on the left side. Now it was in '47 I believe, and it belonged to someone else, but he was nice enough (or dumb enough) to let me ride. Then came my HD 125 and the miles some how just kept rolling on. My heart attack along with my wife put me on three wheels, and that is now my choice. As I mentioned one other time, I am blessed to be able to ride practically anything I want to ride at any time I want to ride. At the moment I just want the weather to be just a little decent to get on my 1330.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bertmc View Post
    So, you didn't keep any of those old right-foot shifters?
    I still have a couple of them. I love the darned things. I actually seem to have less trouble switching to them than switching back. Too many left hand brakes in my youth, I guess. The one I have never mastered is my wife's Honda Trail 90. It has a centrifugal clutch, but has a lever on the left handlebar that works the rear brake. I'm always trying to grab that darned thing when I shift.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-31-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;751529

At first I didn't care for the sound of the 2014 but now I find that I like it better than the 2011.

A.[/QUOTE]

Me too. My initial reaction was that I wasn't crazy about the sound but with just a few hundred on mine, I like the sound more each time.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default trans

39 cycle years including 3 drag racing -- have an SM5 -- will go against an SE anyday, am keeping my "Man Card"