Thread: Think about it

Spyder Garage

Default Think about it

[Here's a "feel good" essay, excerpted from "What's Right with Me?", an article by Raymond Lesser that shines the spotlight on a more positive way to think about ourselves, especially as we grow older and convince ourselves that we have a right to complain ...]

People go to the doctor and ask the wrong question: "What's wrong with me?" Hey, the doctor will always find something wrong with you if that's what you ask for. If everyone were perfectly "healthy," he wouldn't be able to make payments on his BMW, his sailboat, or his ski chalet on Lake Louise.
    No, the question you should be asking is: "What's right with me?" None of us is perfect. You see these young kids, invincible, foolhardy, going hang-gliding, surfing, and rollerblading. Sure they start out in great shape, but when you're always pushing the envelope you keep getting paper cuts. They have their aches and pains too, but they don't go running to the doctor every time they have a hangnail or a dislocated knee.
    But when we get older we know so many horror stories of perfectly healthy people who suddenly bit the dust after, for example, getting stung by a mosquito while they were on safari in Africa. Hypochondria improves with age. But do you really want to wind up as a 95-year-old geezer who's afraid to eat a fresh peach because he once knew a guy who choked on a pit? You can't be afraid of life or you ain't living.
    So I start out each day by going over what's right with me. I sit up in bed and think, "Wow, this is pretty amazing. Victory number one of the day." I count my fingers and toes and am happy to see that they all appear to be there. Then it's time to stand up. This can be a huge accomplishment on some mornings, so I'm really proud when I get to the tip of my stature and look down and see how far I have managed to lift my head off the ground with my legs.
    I start counting my blessings. I've got a roof over my head, a little leaky in spots, but what the heck, someone needs to keep the roofers in business. The sun is still shining, the powers-that-be have managed to get through another night without blowing everything up in their never ending quest for more, more, more. I go to the bathroom and find that I have hot and cold running water in the shower. I have electric lights and an electric fan to blow the steamy air out of the bathroom so I can see myself in the mirror. Still there! The man in the mirror still has a few hairs left on his head, at least on the sides of his head, which keeps his ears from sticking out so far.
    I do a thorough accounting of my body. My skin is still doing a terrific job of constraining all my blood and guts, my nails are still nice and sharp and able to pick my nose or anything else they might like to scratch at. My nose has no trouble detecting the odor of the garbage I should have taken out last night. My tongue can easily detect that the coffee was too hot to drink after the very first sip. I can feel the pains in many parts of my body, my ankles, knees, hips, neck, and other joints, which lets me know that my nervous system is still functioning at a very high level. All the pains seem to meld into one fine burn which, along with the coffee, is doing a wonderful job of making me wide awake and ready for a new day.
    Yes, Doctor, I feel great! I feel absolutely alive! -- (The Funny Times, February 2014)

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Love it

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm in pretty good shape, for the shape that I'm in!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I got up at 5:00am. By 7:00am I ran over 2 miles, & by 7:30am I had 30 minutes of weights, sit-ups, & twists done. That proves there is something mentally wrong with me.

I like it.

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely put..!!

was that way till recently...ah well will be there again...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    I got up at 5:00am. By 7:00am I ran over 2 miles, & by 7:30am I had 30 minutes of weights, sit-ups, & twists done. That proves there is something mentally wrong with me.

I like it.
    I get up at 5:00 am. I gotta go pee.
    I get up again at 7:00 am. Same reason.
    I finally get to breakfast at 9:00 am.
    Then I gotta rest, 'cuz I'm tired. So, I take a nap.
    At 11:30 I wake up to fix lunch. I fix lunch, eat it, then clean up the dishes.
    Now it is time to do my exercises. So I turn on TV. Some of the exercise shows make you tired just watching them.
    At 3:30 it is snack time. So I usually have fruit. I like fruit at 3:30.
    Then it is time for intellectual stimulation, so I read a chapter or two out of a romance novel. But sometimes, I just read a mail order catalog. Whatever. I read.
    At 5:00 I fix dinner, and clean up the kitchen. That way I can watch TV at 6:00.
    9:30 I go to bed.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WHEW!! I need a nap after just HEARING about all of that activity in one day...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Grandfather went to the Doctor and the Doctor asked what's wrong, my grandfather smartly said, if I know what's wrong with me I won't be here.. Doctors will give you pills for anything you ask. Pills for hangover but he will not tell you to stop drinking alcohol. Diabetic pills but not tell you not eat sugary food. What I am saying Doctors will not advice you how to prevent you from getting sick but try to cure you when you're sick.

Please always read the fine prints side effects of many pill's. Imagine tv commercial saying ,,,,, if you have erection of more than 4 hrs call your Doctor immediately and more other side effects..
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Every day I wake up, read the obituary and I'm not in it, is a good day.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Volunteer Firefighter/EMT, parachutist, snow skier (short timer), many different stupid stunts as a youngster/teen/young man, Viet Nam, rodeo rider (saddle bronc) and one time only bull rider, rappelling, broken bones, several operations, two marriages, motorcyclist... Am I missing anything? Probably.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

A good day is when I wake up and something new doesn't hurt!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

For me, everything hurts and what doesn't hurt doesn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Every day I wake up, read the obituary and I'm not in it, is a good day.
    See now; I have a slightly different approach to this...
    If I don't see my name ; I just figure that I've got to get my butt off to work!!

Spyder Garage

People actually think about that stuff? I wake up and think about what really has to be done that day before I can go riding or fishing or whatever it is I really want to do. Then I go do do it so I can get on with the important stuff, like thinking about which restaurant is having the smoked rib special that day or which lake to go fishing in.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

You seem to miss alot of pee breaks.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

This is from someone else,I don't know who but I think it fit's the thread and I will live by it as long as I can! "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,but rather to skid sideways,body thoroughly used up,totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO!! what a ride!!!"

Spyder Garage

The healthiest people I have ever known, avoid doctors for all but the worst emergencies. And don't take pharmaceuticals to even so called - save their lives.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    People actually think about that stuff? I wake up and think about what really has to be done that day before I can go riding or fishing or whatever it is I really want to do. Then I go do do it so I can get on with the important stuff, like thinking about which restaurant is having the smoked rib special that day or which lake to go fishing in.
    I agree with you on the important stuff. But, I always wonder how someone stumbles on to these old threads? I'm just curious.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I agree with you on the important stuff. But, I always wonder how someone stumbles on to these old threads? I'm just curious.
    If they had went fishing they wouldn't have found the old thread.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver