Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Need help from a CA spider owner

I need a favor. I am looking for a picture of the emissions sticker from a 2013 Spyder (model does not matter). The Spyder must have been purchased from a dealer in CA. I am trying to figure out if there is a difference in the sticker. I seem to get conflicting info. I figure this is the best way to determine once and for all. Can anyone help?

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry..!!

have a 2012 RS but sure someone will come along...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2014??

???

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Petah50 View Post
    I need a favor. I am looking for a picture of the emissions sticker from a 2013 Spyder (model does not matter). The Spyder must have been purchased from a dealer in CA. I am trying to figure out if there is a difference in the sticker. I seem to get conflicting info. I figure this is the best way to determine once and for all. Can anyone help?
    To the best of my knowledge all emision stickers are the same (all spyders are 50 state emissions compliant - unless something changed in 2014 and I don't think so). Example: while mine is not a '13, it was originally sold in Louisiana and when I registered it in California, DMV had to see (actually see) the sticker before it would qualify to be registered in Ca. It is registered. Hope this helps. Am on the road, or I'd have snapped a pic.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Where is the sticker and I can snap a pic of my 2011 RTS SM5 if that helps?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default sticker from Spyder RT 2013. Purchased from Berts Mega Mall

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by svd View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. Can you take one of the sticker under the seat as well? I really appreciate the help.

Spyder Garage

Default emissions sticker from 2013 RT

I'd guess, you are looking for an emissions sticker from 2013 Spyder.
    photo-6.jpg

I believe same sticker (explicitly saying that motorcycle complies with California regulations) is on any other 2013 spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here is the response from Can-AM

Thank you for contacting BRP.

In response to your request, the emission standards are different in California. Your vehicle does not meet the standards in California. To validate this information, you can contact the California Air Resources Board.

I hope this information will help!

Best regards

Sabrina
    Support Consommateur Canada et Etats-Unis /

Customer Support Canada and United States

BRP

75 J.-A. Bombardier | Sherbrooke | Quebec | Canada | J1L 1W3

T 819-566-3366 or 715-848-4957

www.brp.com

Spyder Garage

Arrow California DMV

NOTE:California law prohibits California residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase ●unless it meets● California emission standards.

If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in California.

If, what she is saying is true. It has to mean that BRP produced two different units model year 2013. A 49 state and a special run of California only spyders.

Could be. But it would be the first year they have done so.

Question here.

What do you have or are you planning on purchasing and.....are you planning on registering it in Cal? Cause other than asking for a picture of the emissions sticker you have provided little info to work with. Which may be why you are getting mixed info.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Here is the response from Can-AM

Thank you for contacting BRP.

In response to your request, the emission standards are different in California. Your vehicle does not meet the standards in California. To validate this information, you can contact the California Air Resources Board.

I hope this information will help!

Best regards

Sabrina
    Support Consommateur Canada et Etats-Unis /

Customer Support Canada and United States

BRP

75 J.-A. Bombardier | Sherbrooke | Quebec | Canada | J1L 1W3

T 819-566-3366 or 715-848-4957

www.brp.com

California air resources board? Really? Look, no disrespect to Sabrina is meant here but, the air resources board has zip to do with ●vehicle registration. At best if you called them and actually got through to anything other than a recorded message, they would certainly refer you to the DMV.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    California air resources board? Really? Look, no disrespect to Sabrina is meant here but, the air resources board has zip to do with ●vehicle registration. At best if you called them and actually got through to anything other than a recorded message, they would certainly refer you to the DMV.
    That is not true in California. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) is EXTREMELY powerful. ...and if you buy a NEW vehicle (one with less than 7,500 miles on it) in another state you probably will not be able to register it here at all. Ever. You also can't open a factory which finishes furniture, and you can't manufacture bullets either. CARB's latest "shove it down the throats of everyone" antics include a proposal to ban (outlaw, do away with, eliminate) burning wood in household fireplaces in the Los Angeles area. Mind you, only 20 million people are affected--which is only about 5.2% if America's population.

CARB is EXTREMELY powerful and they can (and DO) stop vehicle registrations if your car doesn't have their explicit approval. Really.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    That is not true in California. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) is EXTREMELY powerful. ...and if you buy a NEW vehicle (one with less than 7,500 miles on it) in another state you probably will not be able to register it here at all. Ever. You also can't open a factory which finishes furniture, and you can't manufacture bullets either. CARB's latest "shove it down the throats of everyone" antics include a proposal to ban (outlaw, do away with, eliminate) burning wood in household fireplaces in the Los Angeles area. Mind you, only 20 million people are affected--which is only about 5.2% if America's population.

CARB is EXTREMELY powerful and they can (and DO) stop vehicle registrations if your car doesn't have their explicit approval. Really.
    Think you're reading way to much into my response. Bottom line, it is the DMV who deals with vehicle registrations. Not CARB. As to registering an out of state vehicle in Cal. That has been covered in another post in this thread. As long as it meets Cal emission standards it can be registered....with less than 7500 miles on the clock.

Spyder Garage
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This I can help with if this is what you are looking for....
    are you trying to find out if you can register a Spyder/ or any other vehicle in the state of California that
    was NOT purchased in California ?????
    If so the answer is only if it is a vehicle that is 50 state legal, the label will say 50 state approved or it will
    say passes California emissions on the label. If there is no certification saying it is 50 state legal you will NOT
    be able to go to DMV and reg. it in California..... I found this out the hard way.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    I looked. It has nothing to do with the OP's question.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Think you're reading way to much into my response. Bottom line, it is the DMV who deals with vehicle registrations. Not CARB. As to registering an out of state vehicle in Cal. That has been covered in another post in this thread. As long as it meets Cal emission standards it can be registered....with less than 7500 miles on the clock.
    I registered my Spyder (Which was purchased out of Missouri and shipped to Cali) at DMV and kneww nothing about the CARB limitations. 3 different DMV employees told me that I was lucky the Spyder had over 7.500 miles...otherwise I wouldn't have been able to register it. They also had me pull all the tupperware off to see the engine number and ensure it is the same engine put in the bike from the manufacturer. I got lucky, but i'm sure some poor souls bought bikes (or other vehicles) and fell into this loophole.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

★★★★NOTE:California law prohibits California residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase ●unless it meets● California emission standards.★★★★

If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in California.

If, what she is saying is true. It has to mean that BRP produced two different units model year 2013. A 49 state and a special run of California only spyders.

Could be. But it would be the first year they have done so.

Question here.

What do you have or are you planning on purchasing and.....are you planning on registering it in Cal? Cause other than asking for a picture of the emissions sticker you have provided little info to work with. Which may be why you are getting mixed info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    I registered my Spyder (Which was purchased out of Missouri and shipped to Cali) at DMV and kneww nothing about the CARB limitations. 3 different DMV employees told me that I was lucky the Spyder had over 7.500 miles...otherwise I wouldn't have been able to register it. They also had me pull all the tupperware off to see the engine number and ensure it is the same engine put in the bike from the manufacturer. I got lucky, but i'm sure some poor souls bought bikes (or other vehicles) and fell into this loophole.
    The panel removal and serial number check Is their only way of insuring it is not a stolen bike with a different motor, or frame. Went through the same undressing with mine.

Spyder Garage

Arrow Cal DMV

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs%2Fbrochures/howto/htvr9.htm

It's all spelled out here. Just because one works for DMV obviously doesn't mean they know the law. Refering to the three who told you wrong.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs%2Fbrochures/howto/htvr9.htm

It's all spelled out here. Just because one works for DMV obviously doesn't mean they know the law. Refering to the three who told you wrong.
    Assuming it was THEM who was wrong, that is...This is from the DMV link you posted:

"A nonresident vehicle was last registered outside the state of California. Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware of the registration requirements.NOTE:California law prohibits California residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California emission standards."

If the bike does not meet California emission standards (or is not exempt) and is under 7,500 miles the new owner is S.O.L. it appears.
    Last edited by Spyder Tony; 02-14-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTony View Post
    Assuming it was THEM who was wrong, that is...This is from the DMV link you posted:

"A nonresident vehicle was last registered outside the state of California. Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware of the registration requirements.NOTE:California law prohibits California residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California emission standards."

If the bike does not meet California emission standards (or is not exempt) and is under 7,500 miles the new owner is S.O.L. it appears.
    The OP was asking about the Spyder specifically. Not any other scenario. Therfore, all that was attempted here was to answer that specific question. Nothing else.

It is what it is as it relates to his question. That's all that probably matters to him.

Beyond that, It is

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The OP was asking about the Spyder specifically. Not any other scenario. Therfore, all that was attempted here was to answer that specific question. Nothing else.

It is what it is as it relates to his question. That's all that probably matters to him.

Beyond that, It is

It was the Spyder that my scenario dealt with...nothing else. If you reread my post it stated "I registered my Spyder (Which was purchased out of Missouri and shipped to Cali) at DMV and knew nothing about the CARB limitations..."

This is not an attempt to flame someone...just to limit the misinformation doled out. I was in the exact situation he is inquiring about, thus felt somewhat qualified to chime in. I am no expert by any means, but I try to lend a hand the same as how so many Spyderlovers have done for me. The OP (and all prospective out of state Spyder purchasers) should be aware of the correct information...as I should have been prior to my purchase to be frank. Do not consider this a personal attack, but moreso an FYI...

Spyder Garage

Arrow No sweat

Bought mine in Louisiana with 600 miles on it. Rode it back to Cal. Stripped the tupperware off for serial number verification. Due to the fact the spyder is 50 state emissions compliant, the 7500 mile rule became a mute point, or, said better...it did not apply.

Spyder Garage

Default Tony

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...CALIFORNIA-DMV!!!

This is how it went for me. Way back when. Hope you get a giggle or two from my experience. I did

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...CALIFORNIA-DMV!!!

This is how it went for me. Way back when. Hope you get a giggle or two from my experience. I did
    WOW...just read your posting experience on getting your bike Ca registered. It pretty much mirrors mine. To boot...the last digit was not legible, so I really had a problem then!!!
    the original DMV gal certifying my bike passed me off to a very young 20something guy who was up to take a lunch break. After 20-25 mins of trying to read the number (with ALL of my tupperware laid out on the lawn next to my bike) he finally says "I gotta take a lunch...looks like a 1 to me". Did I argue...HELL NO!!!

He signed me off, then my ordeal was finally done. Subsequently, every other person going in or coming out of DMV assumed I had a mechanical problem (due to the stripped tupperware and exposed chassis) and kept offering to take a look to see if they could "fix it". What should've been a 20-30 minute process was more like a 3 hour ordeal...no exaggeration. If it weren't for the kid more worried about his lunch, i'd be in a world of hurt. BTW...nobody ever mentioned going to CHP to have them read the numbers.

I swear there is a correlation between my blood pressure skyrocketing and having just visited DMV. I'm not ready to leave this state, but I will think 2 or 3 times before buying an out-of-state vehicle. Misery loves company, and sounds like I definitely walked in your shoes, unfortunately