Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: fan reversal

Spyder Garage

Default fan reversal

Seems the solution to the heat on the RT spyders, in the new '14 design, is to add another radiator and move them forward. Bravo! I was just wondering, I never have any heat issues as long as I am on the road. It's the low speed stop and go traffic that bothers me when the fan cuts on and blows back on legs and feet. Has anyone attempted to reverse the air flow on the '10 thru 13 RT's ? Honda Goldwings have the radiator fans sucking and blowing forward so to speak to have the heat blowing away from the rider. My 2010 has never been a big issue with the heat but I have removed the bottom panels and added the block off plate. Seems to me if the fan could be reversed, the heat at low speed or idle would blow towards the front away from our feet. The fan only runs when at very low speed or idle. Forward movement after that moves enough air and i don't think the fan comes on.
    Just a thought, if it is doable, it may help the in- town heat in stop and go traffic. Going to look at mine tonight and see how hard it would be to turn that thing around.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

they moved they radiator and oil cooler forward with fans that reverse at low speeds or stopped. Don't know if they will provide a retro fit fan for other models. Would help some for sure. The heat from the radiators will still be close to the engine compartment. Saw questions as to if you can adapt the front end of the 14 to a 13..so basically the retro fan would be a plus...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Retro fix

Emailed BRP months ago asking what the possibilities of a (pay to play) fan reversal retro fit were. Never heard back from them.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 01-22-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Emailed BRP months ago asking what the possibilities of a (pay to play) fan reversal retro fit were. Never heard back from them.
    I believe the fan (motor and blades ) would have to be Phycially flipped around to blow the other way. I really don't see a problem if it blows out the front or back. It would at least, in stop and go traffic when the fan kicks in, blow the heat forward and not to the engine compartment/foot area. I am going to check it out soon as the weather warms up a bit.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: (I'm assuming that you've only got a power and ground leads going to the fan motor) What sort of wiring and/or switching would it take to reverse the blades? Could this be done with a switch that is manually thrown up on the dash?
    (Okay; Two questions! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow old news on the topic

Stan, we last kicked this around here. May or may not answer some of your questions.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-Fan-Pre-2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I believe the fan (motor and blades ) would have to be Phycially flipped around to blow the other way. I really don't see a problem if it blows out the front or back. It would at least, in stop and go traffic when the fan kicks in, blow the heat forward and not to the engine compartment/foot area. I am going to check it out soon as the weather warms up a bit.
    Not really ever reverse a ceiling fan? The blades remain the same just the motor reverses . Since the fan motor is DC reversing the polarity should make it run in reverse. The only issue MAY be the blade/ motor bearings construction not being strong enough to handle running in reverse and being able to push instead of pull the air. Seems quite doable with a DPDT relay and switch to do it manually. Some type of sensor/ECM out put would be required to make it automatic.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Not really ever reverse a ceiling fan? The blades remain the same just the motor reverses . Since the fan motor is DC reversing the polarity should make it run in reverse. The only issue MAY be the blade/ motor bearings construction not being strong enough to handle running in reverse and being able to push instead of pull the air. Seems quite doable with a DPDT relay and switch to do it manually. Some type of sensor/ECM out put would be required to make it automatic.
    Hey, your right about the ceiling fan. Never thought about that. Good point.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just went out and looked at mine and the fan blade is bi-directional and the power connector is a standard 2 wire Packard connector so it could be easily reversed. You would just need a Packard connector tool to remove the leads and reverse them.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    I just went out and looked at mine and the fan blade is bi-directional and the power connector is a standard 2 wire Packard connector so it could be easily reversed. You would just need a Packard connector tool to remove the leads and reverse them.
    I do not think you want to do that and make it permanent. The temp sensor is upstream from the radiator and that affects how the engine maps the fuel. For that matter it may be the game stopper on this whole idea. I bet that sensor has been moved on the 2014 out of the tunnel area.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Stan, we last kicked this around here. May or may not answer some of your questions.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-Fan-Pre-2014
    BAM! I had the feeling this had come up before, I just don't get the time to browse or hang around the forum as often as I'd like and missed it.. Thanks for the heads up.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

BAM! I had the feeling this had come up before, I just don't get the time to browse or hang around the forum as often as I'd like and missed it.. Thanks for the heads up.
    But they did not think about the temp sensor I mentioned on their thread so that is an additional issue.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Glad you brought it up. Summer will be here soon. Sooner for some, than for others. But soon.

Spyder Garage

I do not think you want to do that and make it permanent. The temp sensor is upstream from the radiator and that affects how the engine maps the fuel. For that matter it may be the game stopper on this whole idea. I bet that sensor has been moved on the 2014 out of the tunnel area.
    Yes but it wouldn't take nothing to move that sensor to the other side.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Arrow

There's so much that 'could' come into play. Thus the request that BRP take a look at it.

Spyder Garage

Yes but it wouldn't take nothing to move that sensor to the other side.
    I hear ya but it is in a weird spot for a weird reason and has a filter around it. It is tucked in the side of the tunnel and it always reads higher than ambient temp and might be designed that way. Not saying it isn't possible. All it takes is someone with the electrical knowledge to try it. I have it ( Journeyman Electrician) but not on my agenda....yet. Maybe BRP is looking at that too you know the swoop has to be transmitting some heat to the engine compartment it is not insulated.

Spyder Garage

Fan reversal is only effective when moving slowly or stopped. You would not want to make the connection permanent. There is no simple, automatic solution, but a DPDT switch could be wired to allow you to manually reverse the fan if you wish. Just don't forget to switch back when you get moving again. Don't use a center-off switch that could leave you without a fan. A momentary contact switch that required you to hold it in the reverse position might be advisable. Failing to do revert to the normal airflow at speed could end up giving you overheating problems, as the air from movement could be slowed by the reversed fan, allowing the coolant temperature to rise. The fan takes a fair amount of juice, so use a switch that is rated high enough to handle the load, or use the switch to trigger a HD relay that does the actual switching for the fan.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default i think

this might be one of the things that BRP is looking into. it is working on the 14's for them so far.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But they did not think about the temp sensor I mentioned on their thread so that is an additional issue.
    If it's only used for the brief periods when you're stopped in traffic... it shouldn't become an issue.

Spyder Garage

I don't think this is going to be any kind of solution for our heat problems under the Tupperware because the radiator heat is displaced outside the Tupperware anyway. This would be more of a solution for the right side "hot foot" problem. Studying my in the garage for awhile tonight got me to thinking though, what about another fan added to the oil cooler on the left side and tied into (via relay) the right side fan. They would come on in sync and move a lot of air under the Tupperware since that's where the heat goes from the oil cooler wile stopped or moving slowly.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just don't see the point....
    Unless your totally sitting still or maybe creeping forward reversing the fan will be useless. Even slightly moving forward means your rolling through your own hot air....

Wouldn't it make more sense to better divert the air out through the sides and away???

When was the last time you have ever seen any other vehicle with a fan pushing air forward out the front??

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I have already done it... see Spyder in the East...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I just don't see the point....
    Unless your totally sitting still or maybe creeping forward reversing the fan will be useless. Even slightly moving forward means your rolling through your own hot air....
    It doesn't take long for the heated airflow to disipate...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Actually, a really elegant solution would be to tap into one of the wheel speed sensors.
    The speed sensor counts pulses coming from the wheel.
    The faster you go, the more pulses.

So no one's eyes start to glaze over all I will say is it is extremely easy to read the pulses and then convert the pulses into an average volt value.
    The more pulses in a given time period - the higher the average voltage.

So let's say we find the average voltage from the pulses is 7 Volts at 15 mph.
    We could then build a circuit that switched the fan into reverse mode at average voltages lower than 7 Volts.
    An easier solution might be to use the transmission gear position sensor. If you are in first gear, reverse the fan.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I don't think this is going to be any kind of solution for our heat problems under the Tupperware because the radiator heat is displaced outside the Tupperware anyway. This would be more of a solution for the right side "hot foot" problem. Studying my in the garage for awhile tonight got me to thinking though, what about another fan added to the oil cooler on the left side and tied into (via relay) the right side fan. They would come on in sync and move a lot of air under the Tupperware since that's where the heat goes from the oil cooler wile stopped or moving slowly.
    I think this is an excellent idea. Would accomplish an added feature of removing additional heat from the engine, IE assisting the radiator. This is where I am headed next if the exhaust wrap alone is not sufficient come summer.

I still think a 'reversing fan kit' as an upgrade option for those that would like to get rid of the hot foot discomfort would be an excellent product if well made. Would require a custom plug in wiring harness, a small electronic control box to read the gear position and trigger a relay to switch the fan direction. I'd certainly buy one. From BRP or one of our trusted vendors.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame