Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

all of the 13s have the same heat proublem,the ons that say they dont are riding like me i dont ride any longer than 1 hour at a time ,so the other people that are riding 200 300 miles at a time are the ones that are feeling the heat thats burining them,so please brp get a fix that will fix all of us.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

OK. Here I am sitting thousands of miles away in the UK. We don't get the kind of high ambient temperatures that
    are frequently experienced in the US. But I've been following this thread with interest, not because I have an
    affected 2013 model, but to try and learn what BRP's guys are prepared to do about this and any other
    similar situation which may occur.

In the UK there is legislation that would protect the consumer from potentially dangerous situations developing.
    So if there was any chance of, for instance, a brake master cylinder becoming damaged due to what appears to be
    a design flaw, and if it affects even less than 1% of the production of a specific model, it is deemed to be a flaw
    and then the manufacturer would be required to identify the problem and make modifications available to remedy
    that. The modifications must be proven engineering solutions that address the problem in a professional manner.

Thus, it's good to see a BRP representative coming on to a owners forum to reassure BRP's customers, who have invested
    their money in BRP's products. A solution must be found for this potentially dangerous problem. Temperatures in the
    engine compartment should never reach a level that is likely to compromise the integrity of other components let alone
    be a severe heat hazard. Boiling fuel in the tank is something that simply should not occur for reasons that are obvious
    to any competent engineer.

Well done Steve for doing your best to allay any fears that people may have.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WOW

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    all of the 13s have the same heat proublem,the ons that say they dont are riding like me i dont ride any longer than 1 hour at a time ,so the other people that are riding 200 300 miles at a time are the ones that are feeling the heat thats burining them,so please brp get a fix that will fix all of us.
    Amazing how you know all the ryding habits of everyone that owns a 2013! You couldn't be more wrong. I routinely (every week) run longer than that without heat issues. Best to stay away from blanket statements that, include all, every etc.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the Corrections

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi cuznjohn,

I'd like to make a couple of corrections to this:

We're going to continue to support our vehicles. What I reiterated was that we(not just me!) are working to make sure that all 2013 RT owners are happy with their vehicles. Yes, the 2014s are out, but we're not at all losing sight of the 2013s.

Certain machines can seem to put out different temperature ranges than other, identical ones - while this is normal, the reports of heat above and beyond a certain level are definitely the first ones I'd like to see addressed. Remember that any vehicle emits some heat, and that what's "normal" for one rider can be qualified as "excessive" for the next.

I don't know exactly when any information will make its way downstream, nor can I comment on what any potential means to address the aforementioned concerns will consist of.

It really does, especially with that yellow! It's one of the fastest colors.
    Amazing how one person can spin information off into a completely inaccurate directions. Thanks for clarifying all of the inaccuracies and misquotes. Also thanks for checking in on the subject. Are you folks really looking for solutions for 2013? I hope so.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default heatI

THAT STATEMENT IS TOTALLY OF BASE, AT LEAST FOR ME, I HAVE GONE HUNDREDS OF MILES WITH MANY BACK TO BACK FILL UPS AND HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THE HEAT PROBLEMS OTHERS HAVE ENCOUNTERED. GRANTED, I THINK THAT SOME PEOPLE THINK THE HEAT ON THE FOOT IS A HEAT PROBLEM, ITS NOT, BOILING GAS AND MELTED PARTS ARE. MY 2013 RT IS FINE AS I'M SURE OTHER ONES ARE, BUT THERE IS SOMETHING GOING ON WITH OTHERS AND I THINK BRP WANTS TO KNOW WHAT IT IS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frenchek View Post
    THAT STATEMENT IS TOTALLY OF BASE, AT LEAST FOR ME, I HAVE GONE HUNDREDS OF MILES WITH MANY BACK TO BACK FILL UPS AND HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THE HEAT PROBLEMS OTHERS HAVE ENCOUNTERED. GRANTED, I THINK THAT SOME PEOPLE THINK THE HEAT ON THE FOOT IS A HEAT PROBLEM, ITS NOT, BOILING GAS AND MELTED PARTS ARE. MY 2013 RT IS FINE AS I'M SURE OTHER ONES ARE, BUT THERE IS SOMETHING GOING ON WITH OTHERS AND I THINK BRP WANTS TO KNOW WHAT IT IS.
    How Long is it going to take ? Maybe 2015 or 2016?
    If I had a Affected Heat Problem I would have already done the CT Lemon Law procedure and got a settlement because I would have left it at the dealer until it was fixed and after a certain period of Not being fixed my case would have been submitted to the State!!

Having purchased 13 Sea Doo,s over the last 25 years I have been a Great supporter of BRP in different Forums and will continue to be BUT these people with affected Spyder,s need a resolution and they need it sooner than Later!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default between us

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Amazing how one person can spin information off into a completely inaccurate directions. Thanks for clarifying all of the inaccuracies and misquotes. Also thanks for checking in on the subject. Are you folks really looking for solutions for 2013? I hope so.
    i really don't think i spun the comments off to far, i expressed what i thought he said as far as he is working on the problem, so i generalized the comments he said and when he cleared it up for me it was not that far off
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I don't think it has much to do with length of ride at all. At least for me, I could take a several hour ride and never have a problem. As long as I was moving most of the time at a pretty good clip. BUT get stuck in traffic for 15 minutes and it was gas fume cloud time. EVERY time. It was a very simple problem. Low air flow plus excessive heat under the Tupperware = boiling gas in the steel un-insulated tank.

BRP knows full well what the problems are. They went to great lengths to correct them in the 2014s. What they do not know is how to fix them for pennies on the 13s. Any solution that costs hundreds to thousands of dollars per unit in parts and labor is not going to be considered. I have no easy answer for BRP either. Its an inherent design defect and the market has already spoken. There is currently a $10,000 difference in price new between a 2013 and 2014 Spyder RT. My gut feel is that BRP will 'study' and 'support' the issue until such time that all the 13s have been traded or sold to owners willing to fix the problems themselves because of the drastically lower cost of ownership. They have band-aided the symptom that caused outright fires so are pretty much off the hook safety wise unless something else comes up. What remains is merely comfort and machine longevity issues. I bet the cost to fix these machines long term will be far cheaper than the upfront costs in remedying the problems now. They have looked at those numbers and the penny pinchers have spoken. If it were not about the money, the problems would already be solved.

Sorry if I sound negative. The truth is, wife and I are actually in the process of buying a second 13 RT for her. The heat issues have driven the prices lower than they ever will be again. Under 20k for brand new RT-S will not happen again folks. We plan to do the same fixes to hers that I have done along with the 5yr BRP warranty. My bike is a whoot to ride. Just sorry I had to fix it myself. I may still need to add a bit of air flow come summer but that will not be a big deal compared to work already done. The fix is pretty close if not complete now.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lwrydr View Post
    The only heat problem I have on my 2013 RT Ltd is my bottom gets real warm and i'm not sure if it's due to the heat from the seat or lack of air flow. Will be interesting
    to see what BRP comes up with. Thanks Cuz for sharing the info.
    I have a 2008 Spyder, and I use to get "swamp ass" because of the heat from the seat. So I did some research and found that they have beaded seats for this issue. Take a look at this site -

http://www.beadrider.com/

Did not purchase one, but modified a car bead seat to fit my Spyder and its like someone placed an A/C unit in my seat. It was HEAVEN!!

Hope this helps.
    Displaced Canuck
    (Professional Photographer & Engineer)

2008 Yellow GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i really don't think i spun the comments off to far, i expressed what i thought he said as far as he is working on the problem, so i generalized the comments he said and when he cleared it up for me it was not that far off
    Of course you did. I and many others much appreciate your doing so. Perhaps reading a bit more into the words than BRP wanted but then we all would. We want and hope BRP is the good guys.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

In the summertime September beginning of October when I was riding my bike two up. After a 60 mile ride on a hot day you could hear the gas boiling in my tank also the backbone of the bike was extremely hot to the touch right near the gas cap. And lots of heat coming out around the glovebox area. And in more than one occasion had terrible gas fumes in the garage.

Spyder Garage

Hi Spyder_Cowgirl and 03hdjill!

This thread was referring to cuznjohn and mine's conversation regarding his RT, but of course we will continue to support owners of all 2013s, including the ST.

No - I'm sure you understand that all I'm able to say at this point is that we're going to continue to work closely with owners of 2013 models and provide the same level of support to them that we provide to all of our customers. We want everyone to be happy with their vehicles and are continually looking for ways to address any concerns that might crop up.

However, as soon as we have more information that we're able to share, I will definitely let you know.
    PRETTY VAGUE if you ask me

Spyder Garage

Default well

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    PRETTY VAGUE if you ask me
    well i think they are working on it and really can't say what they have found because everyone will go to the dealers and start bothering them to get the fix done. lets face it some bikes have the problem and some don't. they might not really know what will work but as long as they are trying i am good with that. i was one of the first people bashing them and writing e mails to them but i am willing to sit tight to see what happens for now. if in the nicer weather i still have bad heat and they have not tried to fix it yet i will once again start moaning about it. but till than i am sitting tight and waiting
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

well i think they are working on it and really can't say what they have found because everyone will go to the dealers and start bothering them to get the fix done. lets face it some bikes have the problem and some don't. they might not really know what will work but as long as they are trying i am good with that. i was one of the first people bashing them and writing e mails to them but i am willing to sit tight to see what happens for now. if in the nicer weather i still have bad heat and they have not tried to fix it yet i will once again start moaning about it. but till than i am sitting tight and waiting
    I really hope the vents you installed on your bike workout for you. I have read your posts I know they were expensive. But I refuse to spend that kind of money on a brand-new bike. I truly believe it should be corrected by BRP not us the consumer who already put out hard earned money to purchase their product

Spyder Garage

. . . BRP is in business to make money, as are all businesses. The problem here, regardless of some of the comments above, is that some 2013 Spyders have serious heat issues under the tupperware . . . and some don't. If the issue was the same on every Spyder, the solution would probably be easier to resolve . . . but some 2013s had melted master cylinders, melted charcoal canisters, melted brake cables . . . and some didn't, even though they are all from the same assembly line, and, should all be the same. BRP owes it to their stock holders to find the least expensive solution, and I believe they are doing their best to find it. It would be foolish and wasteful to jump to conclusions and implement fixes that may or may not resolve every issue. Things like this take time. I understand the frustration . . . I am experiencing it, too. I have not been in conversations with my dealer on the subject, because the dealer from whom I purchased my Spyder sucks . . . those of you who have followed my posts know the problems I have had with them . . . but that is a different issue. I think the best thing we can do on this issue is to calm.jpg

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Spyder Garage

Default i agree

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    . . . BRP is in business to make money, as are all businesses. The problem here, regardless of some of the comments above, is that some 2013 Spyders have serious heat issues under the tupperware . . . and some don't. If the issue was the same on every Spyder, the solution would probably be easier to resolve . . . but some 2013s had melted master cylinders, melted charcoal canisters, melted brake cables . . . and some didn't, even though they are all from the same assembly line, and, should all be the same. BRP owes it to their stock holders to find the least expensive solution, and I believe they are doing their best to find it. It would be foolish and wasteful to jump to conclusions and implement fixes that may or may not resolve every issue. Things like this take time. I understand the frustration . . . I am experiencing it, too. I have not been in conversations with my dealer on the subject, because the dealer from whom I purchased my Spyder sucks . . . those of you who have followed my posts know the problems I have had with them . . . but that is a different issue. I think the best thing we can do on this issue is to calm.jpg
    this is going to be a process of elimination to find the problem, i asked steve from BRP if it could be the fuel we use with ethanol in it. he said no because they use the ethanol in Canada also so only time will tell. he asked if i also wrapped the pipes and i told him no and i am not putting anymore money into the bike till they find a fix
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    In the summertime September beginning of October when I was riding my bike two up. After a 60 mile ride on a hot day you could hear the gas boiling in my tank also the backbone of the bike was extremely hot to the touch right near the gas cap. And lots of heat coming out around the glovebox area. And in more than one occasion had terrible gas fumes in the garage.
    This is almost word for word what going on with mine! My wife refuses to ride with me anymore till it's fixed, she's scared of it and wants me to just get rid of it but that almost impossible now with the 14's being "fixed" nobody is going to want a 13 with only 1600 miles and give me payoff. My dealer won't even take it in on trade, but he has offered to try and sell it. Like that's going to happen he still has 13's on the floor! I'm stuck so I just want it fixed and I'm willing to wait a "reasonable amount of time" to get it.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First off thank you Ann for mentioning my name.....BRPcare if you don't already know....flamingobabe = Charlyne Baker....I have a 2013 ST-L....have done multiple things to cut back on the heat....found melted parts in June....working with BRP and Pitbull we designed a fix...then after the recall took bike back to have BRP's recall fix....wrapped pipes, insulated gas tank, brake cable...my gas tank still get 154F at the cap....have to be careful...after a ride with 3+ stops at 70+mph to get gas...gas won't go in...have to let it cool....I heard that there is another recall from BRP to install a plate...because some 2013 owners are still having melted parts...is this true?......and just to let everyone know the major problems started about/after 5000 miles....BRP we 2013 owner's need a fix.....plus I LOVE MY SPYDER

Hi Spyder_Cowgirl and 03hdjill!

This thread was referring to cuznjohn and mine's conversation regarding his RT, but of course we will continue to support owners of all 2013s, including the ST.

No - I'm sure you understand that all I'm able to say at this point is that we're going to continue to work closely with owners of 2013 models and provide the same level of support to them that we provide to all of our customers. We want everyone to be happy with their vehicles and are continually looking for ways to address any concerns that might crop up.

However, as soon as we have more information that we're able to share, I will definitely let you know.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Char...
    If ever a bike needed to try out those new body panels; it's yours!
    BRP; how about it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

when i made my post on what could be wrong ,and i based my finding on riding bikes of all kinds i started riding in 1951 74 motorcycles and thats prouble moore than most of you on here,and i was riding when some on here werent born yet.i did not say it is what could be happing but could be,and to the one that said i souuldnt post so i tell you are running this site dont say that other people cant post what they think,your too full of your self your no better than any body else on here.

Spyder Garage

when i made my post on what could be wrong ,and i based my finding on riding bikes of all kinds i started riding in 1951 74 motorcycles and thats prouble moore than most of you on here,and i was riding when some on here werent born yet.i did not say it is what could be happing but could be,and to the one that said i souuldnt post so i tell you are running this site dont say that other people cant post what they think,your too full of your self your no better than any body else on here.
    Nowhere, in any of the above posts that referenced you, did anyone say you shouldn't post. Did you read the comments they made. One person did, however, post: "Best to stay away from blanket statements that, include all, every etc. " and that person was correct. It is pretty well documented here that there are folks who make long rides and never have problems . . . and folks who have severe (as in melting parts) issues. Since you don't know their riding habits, how can you make an assertion that the heat is related to those riding habits? No one said you should not post. As for your: "your too full of your self your no better than any body else on here" . . . that goes two ways.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Hot spyder

Hi Bob,

Send me a PM with your contact info, dealer name and model of Spyder.
    Hi Steve this is spyderdale, my 2013 RT Limited was purchased at Reno's powersports in Martin city, Mo. I also have had the heat issues discussed on this forum, hot seat, boiling gas etc. Cant wait to see what you guys come up with. Other than the heat problems love my spyder.

Spyder Garage

Question

I probably shouldn't get into this discussion since I own an RS model... but correct me if I'm wrong: Either these 2013 RT's ST's etc. with high heat problems aren't getting rid of the engine heat efficiently (causing a potentially damaging or dangerous buildup of heat inside the body panels), or the engine is producing more heat than it aught to (overwhelming the cooling system... not just the radiator but the entire system of expelling heat from within the body panels of the machine). The different models of Spyder have (up to 2013 at least) all used the same 2 cylinder 998cc Rotax engine as I understand it, but the ecm programming is different from the RS model line (which basically has no significant heat issues). Thus the engine is tuned and runs a little different across the model lines.

So anyway... why is this so hard to figure out what the problem is and how to resolve it? There's only 2 possible pathways to the fault. The very idea of a boiling gas tank is freaky scary IMHO... gas fumes are prone to explode, I think everybody knows this! If BRP engineers are unable to reproduce the problems people are having, they aught to at least be able to get a sample of problem Spyders from individual owners to test for themselves and figure it out. Or am I totally off base here?

This is nothing like trying to figure out why a Space Shuttle exploded on lift-off or disintegrated on re-entry for example... if it cannot be reproduced on test machines BRP has pulled from the line, then sounds like there are plenty of problem machines they could get their hands on to test and figure this out and solve the bloody problem finally.

Absolutely no offense to anybody intended. I love my Spyder and hope for a very long relationship with it!

ps. Getting angry with the OP for paraphrasing his telephone conversation with the BRP rep is totally uncalled for!

- Michael