Thread: WHAM...

Spyder Garage

Default WHAM...

That's what I heard. We decided to take advantage of the nice weather today and dust the Spyders off. Haven't had them out since New Years Day. So off we go to town to pick up a new computer battery. Normally takes twenty minutes to get to Staples but today it took a little over an hour. For some reason the Spyders just couldn't find their way. They both seemed disoriented. Took us all over the county. Turn after turn. Anyway, we're motoring down a road that runs along the river. Now this road is out in the country, makes for a nice ride. I'm looking to my left at the river that is running high because of all the recent rain. WHAM! I snap my head back front just in time to see a small bird sailing over my head and heading back to BB who is right behind me. She said the bird was just floating over her head. She actually heard the hit. Needless to say, that got my attention. The little fella hit about 4 inches below the top of the windscreen. Thank goodness I had the windscreen up and not in it's usual down position. That would have left a mark on this old face for sure. Didn't even leave a mark or blood or poop on the windscreen.

Tomorrow it will be up to 50 by noon but it's going to nosedive to the teens by 4:00 with rain turning to snow. Just a trace expected here. The roads won't dry so that means black ice. I can guarantee the schools will close early and may be closed Wednesday. I can also guarantee a run on the stores. 24 pack of Bud Lite, 50lb bag of dog food, milk, bread and toilet paper. Not us.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    That's what I heard. We decided to take advantage of the nice weather today and dust the Spyders off. Haven't had them out since New Years Day. So off we go to town to pick up a new computer battery. Normally takes twenty minutes to get to Staples but today it took a little over an hour. For some reason the Spyders just couldn't find their way. They both seemed disoriented. Took us all over the county. Turn after turn. Anyway, we're motoring down a road that runs along the river. Now this road is out in the country, makes for a nice ride. I'm looking to my left at the river that is running high because of all the recent rain. WHAM! I snap my head back front just in time to see a small bird sailing over my head and heading back to BB who is right behind me. She said the bird was just floating over her head. She actually heard the hit. Needless to say, that got my attention. The little fella hit about 4 inches below the top of the windscreen. Thank goodness I had the windscreen up and not in it's usual down position. That would have left a mark on this old face for sure. Didn't even leave a mark or blood or poop on the windscreen.

Tomorrow it will be up to 50 by noon but it's going to nosedive to the teens by 4:00 with rain turning to snow. Just a trace expected here. The roads won't dry so that means black ice. I can guarantee the schools will close early and may be closed Wednesday. I can also guarantee a run on the stores. 24 pack of Bud Lite, 50lb bag of dog food, milk, bread and toilet paper. Not us.
    I was afraid to open your post thinking the WHAM was someone running into you. Glad it was just a bird and your windshield was up!

Spyder Garage

Likewise. Glad the bird incident did not turn into a disaster. It is a good advertisement to wear protective eyewear or have the visor down on the helmet though. A smack between the eyes at any speed is not good IMO. Glad the windshield did its stuff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrocket View Post
    I was afraid to open your post thinking the WHAM was someone running into you. Glad it was just a bird and your windshield was up!

Whew, I was afraid to open the thread at first because I thought it was this.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that it was "only" a bird bent on suicide...
    I took a strike to the helmet way back in 1982, and we have a story in here about a kamikaze turkey attack on a Spyder...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

The poor little sparrow just kind of floated above me. I did hear the impact, then saw the bird. Just glad Bruiser had his windshield up, because I don't think I would have wanted to clean up the mess. I still don't understand why it took us so long to get to Staples. I just follow. Am I complaining? Absolutely not!! We needed the wind therapy today, even if we did have a casualty.

Spyder Garage

Default Good news..!!

you got the ryde in before the forthcoming bad weather. Sorry about the bird incedent but glad you both got out under it all..be safe and stay warm..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Took a bird hit on my right shoulder while riding my Honda Valkyrie doing about 70 mph. Ripped my right hand off the grip and nearly took me off the bike! I was amazed at how much of an impact that little guy was able to deliver!

My shoulder hurt for a week or so. But I didn't really mind. I was glad not to have ended up on the pavement! Now that would have left a mark for sure!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Likewise. Glad the bird incident did not turn into a disaster. It is a good advertisement to wear protective eyewear or have the visor down on the helmet though. A smack between the eyes at any speed is not good IMO. Glad the windshield did its stuff.
    Plus1 on the visor down.
    Years ago I had someone drop a small rock off of an overpass and it hit my visor just below the helmet line. It snapped my head back and left a mark on the visor right between the eyes. Seen the rock just before it hit with no time to duck. Sure glad I had my visor down
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Mine was not a bike, a few close over the years, but nothing actual.
    I was driving a school bus on the freeway.I coming out from a overpass, when "wham" splat, whatever. Rock came to mind as their had several incident around then. I decided I could still see and the windshield was still okay, just a little messy right in front of me. then I saw the remain of a pigion( I think, fair sized carcass) rolling around on the hood. Glad I was not on a bike for that one.
    Glad everybody is Okay
    Oldmanzues
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 01-21-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Are you going to take it to the taxidermist???????????

You did have a bird hunting permit, right????

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    . . . I forgot that scene! As for stuff hitting you . . . . . . it can be catastrophic! I recently upgraded my helmet, as there is a quarter-sized chunk out of the older one, right on the forehead, above the visor. A truck through up a stone that I saw, just as it crossed above my windshield. It felt like someone smacked my helmet with a hammer! I'm sure glad I was wearing it . . . and it gave me a reason to buy a new Nolan N104! When Mrs. Hayfield saw the damage to the old helmet, she had no problem with me shelling out bucks for a new one!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup!
    If you think that helmets are expensive; try out some brain damage, and let us know how much money it saves you...

Spyder Garage

When I was working for my last employer I was on the road quite a bit. I had many hits. Most of them from dove. Stupid birds as we call them. Dang things would fly off and turn right in to the truck. Even had a yellow flicker embed itself in the grill. Had a hit similar to this on a C130 a long time ago. One hit the windscreen on the copilot side and his mate hit the prop on number 3...

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

Default Eye opening

While out for a casual ride this afternoon, on a smooth country road, a turkey flew across my bow about 15 feet in front and only 3 feet off the ground.
    I think it would have made more than a THUD!
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Alternately...

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

There was a female member on here a few years ago who took a turkey hit right in the face. They were riding to up and the driver ducked. Haven't heard from her in quite awhile.

Last week wife and I were riding on a two lane country road. Rounded a curve and a turkey buzzard lifted off from the right, headed straight out then just as I was approaching he turned hard left across my nose. Dropped down a few feet, and pulled nose up just as I passed under him. The wife said the whole time she was behind me telling at the buzzard to get out of the way. Seems birds have an affinity for me and the Spyder. Two weeks ago I got nailed right in the face shield by a large amount of bird poop. I thought it was a rock. It hit just to the left. Had I had it up like I usually do on warm days... It splattered the helmet and my coat.
    Last edited by bruiser; 04-13-2015 at 07:23 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not even done with breakfast yet...

Well: I am NOW!!