Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default NEED HELP

I would love to own a Spider RT - at my age it is too late to start riding a two-wheeler! My problem is that I haven't found a dealer who will let me test drive one and all the bikers I have talked to have all been very negative about the Spider. I need some good info from Spider owners: how does it handle? would it be easy for a rookie to drive? Any info you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. I will be honest - I want to ride in Rolling Thunder and with the Patriot Guard Riders! Thanks in advance for your help. Wanabe Rider

Spyder Garage

I'm a new rider, never owned a motorcycle in my life. I have ridden ATVs all my life though, and I think the Spyder is just like that.

As far as learning to ride it is very easy, just takes some time getting use to doing little things like using turn signals while paying attention to the road. Different than just driving a car and doing things, the bike demands attention at least at first when getting use to it.

I also bought my bike without a test ride because the dealers here wouldn't let me. So I spent my first 200 miles on the bike driving around neighborhoods to get totally comfortable w it's handling and paying attention before hitting the main roads.

Im still just under 1000 miles, but it has all seemed to come second nature already, so it only takes a little time to get use to it...for me anyhow, everyone is different.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabe Rider View Post
    I would love to own a Spider RT - at my age it is too late to start riding a two-wheeler! My problem is that I haven't found a dealer who will let me test drive one and all the bikers I have talked to have all been very negative about the Spider. I need some good info from Spider owners: how does it handle? would it be easy for a rookie to drive? Any info you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. I will be honest - I want to ride in Rolling Thunder and with the Patriot Guard Riders! Thanks in advance for your help. Wanabe Rider
    How old are you? What did the bikers that gave you negative feedback about the SpYder ride. What do you really want to ride.

I had a '09 GS & currently ride a '12 RT limited. One problem with the GS, & no problems with the RT. All machines will break down sometime. I have ridden since '68 and have had some problems with different 2-wheelers. It more or less depends on what you want to ride the most.

Spyder Garage

I find it strange that dealers do not allow test drives. How do they expect someone to purchase something as costly as these are without a test ride

Thankfully I did not have that issue as every dealer I talked to offers them

Where are you located? Maybe one of our members will help you out with a test ride - I know I would.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you currently have a motorcyle endorsement on your license?
    And... Where are you?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The dealer where I purchased mine required a motor cycle license to test drive one. I have a license so it was no big deal but I did have to sign a bunch of wavers. As far as ease of riding my wife had no prior motorcycle experience and after a few minutes instructions she was riding easily and comfortably in a parking lot. We just purchased in August 2013. In the spring she would like to take a safety class and get her license.
    It is understandable that the motorcycle riders would feel that way as two wheel riding is different from three wheel riding. I have experienced both and two wheels are different but not necessarily better. For example there is no leaning with the spyders like on a two wheeler. A laser aligned spyder will handle curves with ease and confidence.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by RBS66; 01-12-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Come to Spyderfest at the end of April...............

Not only will you be able to see 1,000+ Spyders but have the opportunity to ride the '14's that BRP bring for demo rides. Hope to see you there!

Spyder Garage

First you need to find another dealer.

I never rode a two wheel motor bike. I bought my Spyder off of a picture. When I got it I had to go behind the dealer and learn to drive it. Not long after that I took off across country. It handles as much as an ATV as anything. Learning to ride it is as difficult as learning to use a standard transmission.

BUT, if you have not ever ridden a two wheeler I suggest you take a motorcycle safety course. There is a lot more to open air riding then just operating the vehicle. It helps on insurance also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go to the events tab at Can-Am.brp.com and find out where the demo trucks will be this year. That is your best bet to take one on the road for a test drive. Many dealers allow test drives but you need the motorcycle endorsement to do that.

PS Don't listen to what most 2 wheelers say about Spyders because most of them have never ridden one and don't know what they are talking about.

If your RV makes it to Las Vegas I'm pretty sure we could get you on a Spyder for a test drive just send me a PM
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Agreed you need to find a way to test ryde one. Find a BRP demo event.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Default My Dealer has Test Rides

My dealer is located in Mt. Bethel PA. If it's close for you Horn's Outdoor...I have always ridden 2 wheels since 1965. I did put a sidecar on my Old 79 Yamaha and drove that as a second ride for several years. I researched the Spyder for a couple of years. Finally took a test drive and was sold. My knees aren't the greatest anymore and My wife and I like riding a lot. She didn't care for conventional three wheelers and neither did I really. Reminds me of riding a tricycle. The canam drives a lot like a car but you are out in the wide open. It is by far one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. First week we had ours we put on about 600 or more miles. Used to be on a two wheeler you had to stop after 40-50 miles and stretch and get the kinks out of your butt, but with the spyder we have driven 3-4 hours and only had to stop for fuel not because out butts were sore. You do have to negotiate curves a little slower than a two wheeler but that is a minor con. It will take a little practice on your part to get used to the spyder and its handling characteristics but that only take practice. Do that in a big parking lot or a quiet neighborhood traffic wise. You don't need a motorcycle license in a lot of states for a canam, but they require a roadster endorsement. The spyder has more than enough power for accelerating, passing, etc. At my stage in life I'm smelling the roses and not burning the tires as much. I hope this input helps you a little. Let us know how you make out!

Spyder Garage

I had never ridden a 2 wheeler, and the dealer that I purchased my used Spyder from let me test drive the Spyder in his parking lot. Find a dealer that will let you test drive one in a parking lot - or find an event that will allow people that do not have a motorcycle endorsement on their licence to take a test drive on a larger closed circuit.

As far as the 2 wheel drivers/owners have said about the Spyder, they have no idea what they are talking about. Would you purchase a Porsche on the say so of a Chevette owner? Look at what the Spyder has for safety features, the manner in which it handles and most of all - the positive comments that everyone has made on this website. There are some on here that would not be driving if it were not for the Spyder. I have noticed that some Spyder riders have handicaps that would make it IMPOSSIBLE for them to ride a 2 wheeler, but because of the design and satbility of the Spyder they can enjoy the feel of the open air.

BTW - if you have ridden a 4 wheeler, skidoo or even a seadoo - then I am sure that you can ride a Spyder.

Good luck in your decision.
    Displaced Canuck
    (Professional Photographer & Engineer)

2008 Yellow GS SM5

Spyder Garage

As above, more information please. Where are you located ? The nation is infested with Spyders everywhere. Most SL (Spyderlovers) as on here are at least ,willing to talk to you in person. All good information above.
    Motorcycle prejudice has been around before I started riding in 1947( at a young age). The only good motorcycle is__________. Fill in the blank. many Harley riders hate everything except the air cooled Harly. V rods (water cooled/German design) are not a Harley according to them. Even worse are the new "little Harleys (500cc and 750 cc I think.
    "War at Daytona" late fifties, Indians against Harleys against Brit bikes and a few Krauts (BMW) and so on.
    We got to talking about Zundapps and JAP's at a meeting Saturday. JAP means J. A. Preswsich (sp) from Btit speedway racing among others
    Most riders do not really care what you ride,it is that you are riding. The PGR really does not care if you ride or not. Cagers (people in vehicles) are very welcome in most areas. I am in Ohio.
    I think if the state requires a M/C endorsement to ride a Spyder, the Demo units do too
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 01-12-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I never owned a street bike (had a dirt bike for a while when I was a kid) but found the Spyder quite easy to control right off the start.
    I would agree with past posts that it would be money well spent to take a motorcycle safety course just to learn the basic things to keep you and you passenger safe on the road.
    I took a test drive at a BRP demo daze without a license. They set up a small road course in a controlled environment that will give you a chance to try one out. Guaranteed you won't be able to wipe that silly grin off your face!!!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Varies..!!

I had the license, the experience and yet my dealer would not let me test ryde till approved and in their parking lot only. Nevertheless I bought it same day rode it home and within a few hundred miles could handle it as well as any two/four wheeler I've had. Don't judge by two wheelers assesment for many don't like them and have no knowledge or experience on or with them. Trike (Harley and honda) are a little better folks to talk to. We have them here some have left to go back to tow wheelers and trike and some of them ended up coming back. There is something special about these machines and if and when you get one you wilk see..good luck and hope to see you on the road soon....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Mine was bought with no seat time. I rode 2 wheels for about 5 years previous. Had been off the bike for three years so I was out of practice. I hopped on and took off. It was five miles before I realized that I was so comfortable I wasn't having to concentrate on operating the vehicle. It is a fun and safe ride that I believe is the best feeling in the world. I ill never go back to 2 wheels.
    If you get the SE5 you won't even have to worry about working a manual transmission. You will love it and have a great time, the roadster is designed for the "average joe" not the hardcore biker. Operating an RV is probably a lot more mentally taxing than operating a spyder. Go for it. Hope to see you making miles real soon.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I am 67 years young ! Brought a 2013rt ltd last June . Never road before , drove 9000 miles end of June , Mt. Rushmore , yellow stone , glacier nat'l park , had a blast and loved every minute of it! Drove 600 miles to break it in , then took off .
    Wanted to ride a 2 wheeler but did't feel safe on one , decided on a Spyder , will never regret it !

Spyder Garage

well i am going to say that your inexperience is a good thing. no bad habits to bring to the table and as everyone said, it is a different ride than a two wheeler. I never had really ridden any two wheeler to speak of. I had ridden ATV's a couple of times so yes it is very close to that experience.

just got off after 100 miles today and I can say that I love it. still learning several things but we ended up out on a four lane highway and running 60mph on a good windy day. if that is any indication then its going to be more and more fun.

one benefit is how many folks stop and point as you drive by. we stopped for few minutes at a small store. everyone was walking up looking at it and asking questions. several two wheelers showed up and they we just kind of stood there while there was a crowd around the Spyder. people will even slow down on the road to let you pass by them to get a up close look. i am pretty sure they could see the huge smile that both the wife and I had.

so can you ride a Spyder? of course you can. just take your time and read anything and everything here on this board. there are so many helpful people on this board and I felt like i had a pretty good grasp before I ever got on the bike for the first ride. finding someone local who can help you is even more of a bonus. don't worry about what two wheel folks say about a Spyder. most of them never have tried to ride one and it is not like riding a two wheeler.

best of luck to you and come on and join us @ Spyderfest in Springfield, MO at the end of April. there will be many first timers including myself.

Spyder Garage

Default Demo Rydes

Funny, my dealer has let me demo two Spyders. One of the originals back in 2008 while I was waiting to get a new tire on a bike and again in 2013 when I inquired about the RT. I got to do a demo on a 2013 Circuit Yellow RT-S this last October. If your dealer wont allow a test Ryde just go to another dealer who will.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Go to the events tab at Can-Am.brp.com and find out where the demo trucks will be this year. That is your best bet to take one on the road for a test drive. Many dealers allow test drives but you need the motorcycle endorsement to do that.

PS Don't listen to what most 2 wheelers say about Spyders because most of them have never ridden one and don't know what they are talking about.

If your RV makes it to Las Vegas I'm pretty sure we could get you on a Spyder for a test drive just send me a PM
    Ann has you covered. Cannot add any more than welcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Need Help -- Wanabe Rider

Howdy. IF you are ever in the Austin or San Antonio area, PM me. You can ride my RT.

John

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default WANNA BE

WANNA BE....
    more info please... where r u located, how old r u, any handy caps, other restrictions.... etc etc etc...
    as said b4, take a motorcycle training course... matters not whether you'll be riding 2, 3, 4 or 18 wheels... it's gr8 knowledge and can save your life... insurance cost too....

i'm 66, gave up 2 wheelers long long ago, 44 yrs actually, my wife said it was a "no no"... so in 2009, i bot a nu '09 RS SE5... hadn't a clue what to expect... it was delivered to my home, and i was as nervous as a turkey at Thanksgiving time.... i mounted that beast, fired her up... and i've been in 7th Heaven ever since.... last year i trekked to Utah to ride Rt. 12, America's Most Scenic Highway... and this coming May i'll b heading out to AZ to visit with another SPYD3R rider, BIG BIRD....

DO NOT hesitate my friend... in life, you will only regret those things that you didn't do....

give us more info on yourself, and further updates... the people on this website are here to help and give you all the support and information you will need....

good luck
    Dan P
    Easley, SC

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it, Wanna be!

At the age of 57, after riding 30,000+ miles behind Erags on our 2008 SM5 GS/RS, I bought our 2012 SE5 RT...without having a motorcycle endorsement at the time. I had never had any motorcycle experience (other than learning enough to drive the Spyder in the event of an emergency). I hoped I was going to really like being the driver rather than the passenger since I figured Erags would never let me hear the end of it if I decided it wasn't for me. As others have posted, not being a motorcyclist transitioning from 2 wheels to 3 will mean you don't have bad habits to break. There weren't any 3 wheel MSF classes being offered in Pensacola at the time so I ended up taking the 2 day required motorcycle safety class on a 2 wheel scooter. (I didn't enjoy the prospect of 2 wheels at all since visions of crashing/injuries were floating in my head the entire time). I passed the class and picked up my new driver's license with the M endorsement on it the next day. Since then, I've got just over 22,000 miles on my beloved Spyder in 14 months. We ride with the Patriot Guard as often as we can; I would ride with them when Ed was getting chemo or was too fatigued to go on missions. We are having a blast going to as many Spyder rallies as we can, visiting with old friends and making new ones. Getting a Spyder opened up a new world to us; getting our SECOND Spyder made that world even better. Find a demo ride in your area or come to a Spyder rally. Discover a whole new world of fun.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

Default WANABE OR GONABE RIDER

Let's talk about age. I am 71 and love my Spyder (2013 RT Ltd. w/trailer). When I was inquiring at the dealer, an 80 year old man had just flown in to NC from AZ to pick up his Spyder he bought from the dealer through eBay. He had his backpack and was heading out on the highway back to his home in Arizona. He was going to celebrate his 81st birthday on the road.

I have had 3 two wheelers in the past, and during the last 3 years I had a Honda Goldwing Trike conversion. The Spyder is easier to ride and has so many more safety features and great comfort.

If you are in the Charlotte, NC area, let me know and I will introduce you to the dealer I used. They will allow you to test drive a Spyder. They are Lake Norman Power Sports in Cornelius, NC. It is a small minority owned (Mother & 2 daughters) who deal only in BRP products; (704) 896-6022 ask for Susan.

We have an 18' modified trailer to haul our Spyder & Spyder trailer behind our 40' motorhome. We also ride with Patriot Guard and Rolling Thunder.

Best wishes on your decision and perhaps we can meet someday.
    50 YEARS & STILL GOING STRONG....

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife did not have a motorcycle endorsement and was able to ride a spyder in the dealer's parking lot. We both like riding the spyder(I ride mostly on two). She got her license through an MSF course and a month later we went on a 2400 mile ride to West Virginia.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White