Spyder Garage

Default CanAm / Sena SM10 Bluetooth Module and SMH10R Headsets - How to?

Got the CanAm Bluetooth module (Sena SM10) and Sena SMH10R headsets for Christmas and finally got around to installing / pairing them. The Bluetooth module is installed in the frunk as per the instructions with the supplied harness. Installed the SNH10R headset in my Arai helmet. Went through the very frustrating pairing process. Only frustrating because the instructions on the headsets show about 200 different ways to pair to all kinds of devices and never once mention how to pair with Sena's own SM10 module. Through guess work and trial and error, found out it pairs as a 'Selective Media Device' No idea what that means as the instructions make no mention of what the different device types do or why one would use them. I did finally get sound from my bike stereo into my headset. Not great sound but sound. Found later you have to use the audio boost function on the module. No idea why when the module and harness were specifically built for each other, nor was there any instructions in the install that this was necessary.

Anyway, Got pretty good sound. Shut off the bike, shut off the helmet and a few minutes later the module on the bike goes dark. OK.

Now try turning on the helmet, turn on the bike and .... NOTHING. Also the SM10 module is still dark. Is it not supposed to power back up with the bike? Next, I touch the button on the module and it lights up. Was I supposed to turn it off and back on with the slide switch? At any rate it lights up but still no sound in the helmet. I go through the whole pairing process again and it does repair. Please do not tell me this is what you have to do each time you ride?

Can someone PLEASE tell me the short and sweet version of how this equipment is SUPPOSED to work? A simple step by step for the easy way each time I ride to get it up and running?

Why does this have to be so hard? A simple one page instruction sheet in the CanAm module box on how to actually use it ON THE CAN AM would have been appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have the SMH10 headset and love it. When you figure out your stereo music device must be initial paired first, it's easy.

Now the SM10, I did not buy it. The reason is for some of the issues you are having, as posted by other Spyderlovers and thanks for that. You have to turn it on before using it. That means opening the hood, unzipping the liner pressing the button and reverse order back out. When you're done riding repeat the procedure to turn off. If you don't the battery goes dead and has to charge for 20 minutes before it will work again. That was just too much hassle for me.

I do not understand why they could not make it turn on and off with the power source like a GPS or a dash cam. There is a section on the Sena web site for adding features to devices and there is a thread started on this topic maybe add your opinions there.
    Last edited by billybovine; 01-20-2014 at 09:53 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have the same setup. I did a lot of reading before I tried to get the SMH10R and the SM10 to pair up. Once I bought the adaptor for the SMH10R so I could use ear buds, I've been very happy with mine.

The SM10 has an on/off switch that you need to use. I originally had my SM10 in the Frunk, but after I got tired of having to open the Frunk every time to turn the SM10 on and off, I had my dealer move it to the rear Trunk. I like that location much better. I can also then turn off my Ipod Nano if need be.

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Spyder Garage

Hmm. Not a well thought out part at all. Couple of questions. Why does the SM10 need to be turned off at all? And if left on, how long does it run before its internal battery dies?

The answer may be to install a dual usb charger in the front trunk power port and use one for the SM10 and one for the helmet. I keep my helmet in the front trunk so was already using the power outlet there to charge the SMH10R.

So far I kinda like the SMH10R headset. Once I got it paired the sound is pretty good, plenty loud enough and the speakers fit perfectly in my Arai helmet. They have next to no bass response though. Are better speakers available than those that come with the SMH10R or is this the limits of Bluetooth tech? I was figuring the sound would be much more like using a normal set of stereo headphones.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Hmm. Not a well thought out part at all. Couple of questions. Why does the SM10 need to be turned off at all? And if left on, how long does it run before its internal battery dies?

The answer may be to install a dual usb charger in the front trunk power port and use one for the SM10 and one for the helmet. I keep my helmet in the front trunk so was already using the power outlet there to charge the SMH10R.
    You partly answered your own question. It needs to be turned off to stop the battery from going dead. The specs on the Sena web site says it will operate for 8 hours on battery. I have been thinking the same thing as you.
    If connected to a hot all the time power source, will it pair to headset automatically every time you turn it back on. It looks like you're the perfect person to find out. Let us know how it works out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

One problem solved and another identified.

I am getting less and less impressed with this 'upgrade' as engineered and sold by BRP.

Yes, removing the power connection from the BRP cable and powering the unit from the power point keeps the unit on and charged all the time. Uses only a few miliamps so unless you park the bike for weeks without a battery tender, should not be an issue.

Next is the low quality, very poorly shielded audio wiring BPR uses in this high dollar cable. Picks up ignition noise, fan motor, and the backlighting in the instrument cluster. VERY noisy. I thought it was the SENA system itself and radio interference but unplugging the audio connection on the SM10, ALL the noise goes away. I am now going to remove all the body panals again and remove the BRP cable and relocate the SM10 in the trunk so the cable does not run the length of the bike next to all the noise generators. Will report back how this improves.

Wish Motorcycle Dave would make the aftermarket cables available and sell you one with the SM10 and we could just tell BRP to stuff this one.

What a truly POOR excuse for a high dollar accessory. Its nearly useless as sold.

For anyone reading this, either build your own cable and only pickup audio signals from the radio connector or expect to spend a good bit of time reworking this non-functional kit from BRP.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Mmmm... Some answers above on dead batteries may be misinterpreted, depending on how you read them...

I've have had the identical setup since last April: SMH10r + BRP-sold SM10, installed in the rear trunk.

Yes, with power unplugged, the SM10 will run approx 8hrs on battery before its internal battery goes dead. You do need to use the SM10 power switch to turn it off at the end of your ride, connected or not to the Spyder power cable. (That's a SENA issue, not a BRP issue) No need to unplug anything. I forgot to turn off the SM10 quite a few time (for 1 week each time) but it never drained the Spyder battery. Once the SENA battery is dead, however, it won't come back alive before at least 5-10 mins of charging, and you may need to use the center button to force pairing.

I have not encoutered any kind of parasitic noise in my setup: in fact, I am very happy with it. I guess running a much shorter distance to the trunk must help.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    Mmmm... Some answers above on dead batteries may be misinterpreted, depending on how you read them...

I've have had the identical setup since last April: SMH10r + BRP-sold SM10, installed in the rear trunk.

Yes, with power unplugged, the SM10 will run approx 8hrs on battery before its internal battery goes dead. You do need to use the SM10 power switch to turn it off at the end of your ride, connected or not to the Spyder power cable. (That's a SENA issue, not a BRP issue) No need to unplug anything. I forgot to turn off the SM10 quite a few time (for 1 week each time) but it never drained the Spyder battery. Once the SENA battery is dead, however, it won't come back alive before at least 5-10 mins of charging, and you may need to use the center button to force pairing.

I have not encoutered any kind of parasitic noise in my setup: in fact, I am very happy with it. I guess running a much shorter distance to the trunk must help.

...Ben...
    The point was why not leave the power to the Sena unit on all the time. Never shut it off. As jcthorne said the Spyder battery should last for weeks. I agree.

What I wanted to know was. Will the SM10 reacquire the pairing every time the headset is turned on. Sounds like it will do just that. I want to install it and not look at it again and have it work every time I want.

I have not bought one because I am not going to tunnel my way through the front trunk to turn it on and off.

Agreed Sena did not do a good job on this one. Go to the Sena site and add your comment to adding the auto power on and off feature

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default CanAm / Sena SM10 Bluetooth Module and SMH10R Headsets - How to?

I have your exact setup except Power is plugged in all the time and my sm10 is in the glove box. The power from the radio is switched so no drain when the key is off. Problem is if it dies does not wake up when you turn the ignition on it needs to get a minimal charge like others have said.

My smh10r is selective media paired with the sm10 and selective phone paired with my iPhone 5.

The only thing I do is power on the sm10 when I begin my ride and power it off when I end my ride. All works flawlessly!

I have left my Spyder to sit for 3 solid weeks two times in the last 3 months. The battery died completely both times. Not so much as a click when I turned the key. The battery would jot even take a charge so I replaced it. Plugged in my sm10 powered everything on went for a ride to give it a charge and all worked flawlessly again no repairing necessary.

Spyders are power hungry even when turned off. I know several dealers that install battery tender pigtails as standard equipment. I would strongly recommend against using a constant hot to charge ANYTHING off the Spyder battery when it is sitting you will surely shorten the useful life if your battery. JMHO.
    Last edited by kinggeek; 01-21-2014 at 12:18 AM.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

I can confirm that so far, moving the power supply to the 12v power jack in the trunk (using the cord supplied by Sena for this) works fine. Each time I have ridden, just walk up and turn on my headset. Paired each time on its own. I have no fear of the SM10 using enough power to harm anything. As long as I do not let the battery drain fully it will have NO effect on longevity of the battery. If my Spyder is going to sit for more than a few days, it goes on the tender. Always has but I do not leave it sit that long very often, usually only when we are out of town.

On the noise issue. I moved the SM10 to the trunk and its a bit better but the background noise is still pretty bad as soon as the ignition key is turned on. Powering down, the noise stays until the power to the radio and display are switched off. This is a problem with the output on the radio, I temporarily disconnected the SM10 from the BRP radio and connected direct to my ipod in the trunk and it worked perfectly without noise so its coming from the radio, not the SM10. Not sure where to proceed here. Taking the bike to Mancuso would be a waste of time and likely result in other things wrong with the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I can confirm that so far, moving the power supply to the 12v power jack in the trunk (using the cord supplied by Sena for this) works fine. Each time I have ridden, just walk up and turn on my headset. Paired each time on its own. I have no fear of the SM10 using enough power to harm anything. As long as I do not let the battery drain fully it will have NO effect on longevity of the battery. If my Spyder is going to sit for more than a few days, it goes on the tender. Always has but I do not leave it sit that long very often, usually only when we are out of town.

On the noise issue. I moved the SM10 to the trunk and its a bit better but the background noise is still pretty bad as soon as the ignition key is turned on. Powering down, the noise stays until the power to the radio and display are switched off. This is a problem with the output on the radio, I temporarily disconnected the SM10 from the BRP radio and connected direct to my ipod in the trunk and it worked perfectly without noise so its coming from the radio, not the SM10. Not sure where to proceed here. Taking the bike to Mancuso would be a waste of time and likely result in other things wrong with the bike.
    Now I am considering getting the SM10 and powering it all the time. Thanks for sharing your experience. During the riding season my Spyder rarely sits more than a couple days so battery drain is not an issue with me.

I do not recall anyone else reporting a noise issue so I would be tempted to check the harness with a Ohm meter for high resistance on one of the circuits. Could be a crappy connection.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hi There,

First post and a question, I've got an SM10 from my Goldwing I want to use, if you're using the SM10 and headset, can you turn the speakers off via the audio menu and still have audio? Or does the bike speakers have to be on as you're using the SM10?

Spyder Garage

1. Shutoff SM10 when you park for extended periods.
    2. Turn headset on first, SM10 second. Unit will auto pair to headset.
    3. If battery goes dead you "may" lose pairing. I say may because it seems to how "dead" it is, from my experience.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bryster View Post
    Hi There,

First post and a question, I've got an SM10 from my Goldwing I want to use, if you're using the SM10 and headset, can you turn the speakers off via the audio menu and still have audio? Or does the bike speakers have to be on as you're using the SM10?
    Honestly, I forget the exact answer. I assume you are referring to this in regards to an RT series. If so, on our RTS currently, I have left external speakers on, but run the volume on click above mute.

Pretty certain though, in the past, I have switched off external speakers and still had the Sena provide headset audio.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bryster View Post
    Hi There,

Welcome Bryster.

Too really answer your question accurately. We need to know the year and model of your Spyder. New models don't need a SM10 at all. Also how you plan on connecting the SM10 to the radio. Cable from Sena, BRP or aftermarket?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have my SMH10B's paired with my Garmin 665 and 40 XM puck. Works great. Do not need the SM 10. Can also listen to AM/FM with the radio that came with the 2014 RTL. It did require the Garmin Harness.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys, should've been more specific, it's an new/old stock 2017 F3T limited. So my understanding is I lose the rear speakers with the aftermarket lead. Dave has been really helpful, but just wanted to clarify the audio situation with those who have done it. I prefer to use helmet speakers only. So If I lose rears, no biggie. I wasn't after a F3 with speakers, but the deal was pretty darn good!

Spyder Garage

" I did finally get sound from my bike stereo into my headset. Not great sound but sound." Want better sound, upgrade to the JBL helmet speakers.
    MrBill
    Las Cruces, NM
    Got Chile? Red or Green?
    2015 Spyder RT
    1980 Suzuki GS750ET, still scares me!