Thread: CB on spyder

Spyder Garage

Default CB on spyder

Hi all,
    I have a 2012 RS SE5. I've noticed interesting discussions about CBs & debating a CB on my spyder.
    What are the most effective systems?
    What are the pro and cons to a CB on your spyder?
    Nowadays, are there a good amount truckers, motorcycles, cars, etc. frequently using CBs on the road?
    Thanx.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

I ride twice a week with a large group, several us have CB's and they are great to keep in touch. This is a large group of about 20 and we have the leader, middle and end bikes with CB's, very worth while. I also use it to talk with a trucker once in a while if we are stuck in traffic, etc.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by figmotoday View Post
    Hi all,
    I have a 2012 RS SE5. I've noticed interesting discussions about CBs & debating a CB on my spyder.
    What are the most effective systems?
    What are the pro and cons to a CB on your spyder?
    Nowadays, are there a good amount truckers, motorcycles, cars, etc. frequently using CBs on the road?
    Thanx.
    Since you have an RS model . BRP does not have a unit for you but J&M Audio has a great handlebar mount unit that has audio along with the CB.
    I ride with someone that uses this on her RS and loves it. It is pricey but well worth the cost.
    here is the link http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=38

I have an RT model with the wired CB comm system and love it. In a large group ride you can stay in touch with what is going on.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Alberts46 & Marker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Since you have an RS model . BRP does not have a unit for you but J&M Audio has a great handlebar mount unit that has audio along with the CB.
    I ride with someone that uses this on her RS and loves it. It is pricey but well worth the cost.

I have an RT model with the wired CB comm system and love it. In a large group ride you can stay in touch with what is going on.
    A few years ago J&M offered a Spyder version of that CB, but was for manual shift only. The PTT button fit between the grip and cluster, on the bottom side, which is where the thumb would naturally press it. On the Spyder RS SE5, that is also where the shifter is located, so J&M didn't market it for that model.

All that said, it's a great radio. The antenna attaches to the license plate bracket. It also has Weather Band radio and a male stereo input for any device with a standard mini headset out jack, like an iPod. It's designed for use with their headsets, which are not included. For a little more money, we bought the optional intercom setup, which includes two headset connections. It also is designed for the weather.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Question Wired comm system on my 2012 RT Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post

Please help me understand how to use the wired comm system - my wife and I both have these units and Incan't figure out why we can't talk to each other. I can find nothing in the manuals telling how to do this.

Spyder Garage

Default CB radio all the time

We group ride al the time. I teach the GWRRA Road Captains course and yes we teach hand signals, but when we road test prospective road captains, we insist on CB.

SOME CONDITIONS APPLY HOWEVER. Kibitzing must be kept to a minimum so that important information can be passed effectively. Communications needs to be standardized and consistent so that there is not a lot of guessing or asking for repeats.

all that being said, I think that for groups of more than 2 people, the Bike to Bike communication is very important.
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Upchurch View Post
    Please help me understand how to use the wired comm system - my wife and I both have these units and Incan't figure out why we can't talk to each other. I can find nothing in the manuals telling how to do this.
    the mode switch on the left hand cluster will take you to the CB radio screen. You can also breifly hit the push to talk. On that page is the Vox set up. Mess with that till you hear yourself in your helmet. Than fine tune it when going down the road.
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    A few years ago J&M offered a Spyder version of that CB, but was for manual shift only. The PTT button fit between the grip and cluster, on the bottom side, which is where the thumb would naturally press it. On the Spyder RS SE5, that is also where the shifter is located, so J&M didn't market it for that model.

All that said, it's a great radio. The antenna attaches to the license plate bracket. It also has Weather Band radio and a male stereo input for any device with a standard mini headset out jack, like an iPod. It's designed for use with their headsets, which are not included. For a little more money, we bought the optional intercom setup, which includes two headset connections. It also is designed for the weather.
    Mark I had a J&M cb on my 2009 SE5 ....worked great...when I purchase my ST it did not fit the handlebar...bought a Butler cup holder and Mark built a attachment and now J&M CB on ST

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default J & M CB

My husband moved my J&M handlebar unit from VTX to 2013 RT for me. He had to fabricate a aluminum mount to put the unit on and ordered the antenna and coax from J&M. This antenna comes with a brass block that the antenna fits into and the coax cable hooks up to. I ride with a group and they have all commented that my radio is so clear now.