Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New tothe forum and thinking about getting a spyder

A little back ground on me, I'm a married man in my mid 40's with a background in racing off road(dirt bikes and quads) and road racing cars and bikes. I've been out of the saddle for a few years and and interested in a sporty touring bike. I've mainly been looking at BMW and triumph but I have also been looking at the spyder as it is less intimidating to my wife . We've been looking at the RTS and RT limited? And I have a lot of stupid questions pertaining to these quirky machines.
    First, I realize I won't be riding at the knee dragging velocities I'm used to but I do enjoy riding the twisty back roads more than highways, are the spyder up to task for some spirited riding or are they more Volvo Wagon than miata? Or in other words will I miss not being on a 2 Wheeler?

How are they to maintain? Is everything easily accessible and are the part prices similar to other manufacturers?

Any major issues I should know about before I buy? I did talk to a brp representative at the dc motorcycle expo and he told me the heat issue has been addressed with a design change but is there anything else I need to look into?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but my post is long winded enough and I look forward tour reading your responses

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are definitely up to the twisty backroads.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by revlimitr View Post
    A little back ground on me, I'm a married man in my mid 40's with a background in racing off road(dirt bikes and quads) and road racing cars and bikes. I've been out of the saddle for a few years and and interested in a sporty touring bike. I've mainly been looking at BMW and triumph but I have also been looking at the spyder as it is less intimidating to my wife . We've been looking at the RTS and RT limited? And I have a lot of stupid questions pertaining to these quirky machines.
    First, I realize I won't be riding at the knee dragging velocities I'm used to but I do enjoy riding the twisty back roads more than highways, are the spyder up to task for some spirited riding or are they more Volvo Wagon than miata? Or in other words will I miss not being on a 2 Wheeler?

How are they to maintain? Is everything easily accessible and are the part prices similar to other manufacturers?

Any major issues I should know about before I buy? I did talk to a brp representative at the dc motorcycle expo and he told me the heat issue has been addressed with a design change but is there anything else I need to look into?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but my post is long winded enough and I look forward tour reading your responses

Mike

"We've been looking at the RTS and RT limited? And I have a lot of stupid questions pertaining to these quirky machines.
    First, I realize I won't be riding at the knee dragging velocities I'm used to but I do enjoy riding the twisty back roads more than highways, are the spyder up to task for some spirited riding or are they more Volvo Wagon than miata? Or in other words will I miss not being on a 2 Wheeler?"

I would not call them quirky--but they are different from a standard m/c. They handle differently and don't lean. It takes about 500 miles to unlearn any two wheeling habits. Spirited riding should not be a problem. Twisties can be fun. The nanny will help to save you from crashes--but you can still do it if you so desire.

"How are they to maintain? Is everything easily accessible and are the part prices similar to other manufacturers? "

The 2014 RT versions have a new extended maintenance schedule so there is longer frequency between oil changes. Valve checks are now a thing of the past. The is a technical machine and not everyone's forte for wrenching. Most shop rates are around $100 per hour. Parts seem to be about the same as most other mc's. Access is in the eye of the beholder.

Issues: You have heard about the heat on the 2013's. The jury is out on the 2014's, but good information is starting to trickle in. The jury is still out on the issue being completely fixed on the 2013's. I would take the brp rep talk with a grain of salt. They are biased.

A test drive of many miles is recommended. Only you will know if a is going to be right for you. The big investment and happiness with it is very important.

Good luck on your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by revlimitr View Post

Mike

The real answer, I think, is that it depends.

The Spyder is a BLAST and you can have as much fun on it as any open air vehicle out there. It will do fine in the twisties stock, and there are ways to make it quite a bit better.

Most 2 wheelers are more complicated today than they were even a few years ago. So I'd say general maintenance on the Spyder isn't that much different that on most 2 wheeled machines. Getting into some serious mods can take a bit more effort, but that can be true of any machine.

The big thing is that the Spyder is not a motorcycle. For some avid 2 wheelers there is somewhat of a retraining the brain curve. But once you get in sync with your Spyder, there isn't anything else that can take its place.

Realistically, my opinion is that if a person gives the Spyder a reasonable chance, you'll be very happy with it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

to the site with all your answers..if after you have done your research you go for the roadster you will never regret it. This is like nothing you have done and your wife will enjoy it. Test and check but I will see you three wheeling soon..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

By quirky I meant unconventional, not quite a car not quite a motorcycle, snowmobile with wheels maybe? Probably not. .. But to someone on the outside looking in trying to see where the spider fits in to the picture it seems a little quirky but I don't see that as a bad thing. I'm going into this with an open mind and trying not to pre judge before I get to actually ride one.

I have worked in a few motorcycle shops over the years so I can pretty much handle any maintenence issues that don't require special equipment but I also don't want to spend more time repairing than riding.

Does anyone know if they plan to do the demo tours this year? I asked the rep but he hasn't heard anything yet and I missed them last year.Lots of good info so far Thanks for taking the time and responding

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Spyder versus Motorcycle

As a former Endro rider and a whole gamut of street bikes I can tell you that the inverted Y configuration is THE only way to go. As previously mentioned by OP's you have to relearn riding techniques. You as the driver need to set the standard for the passenger otherwise she will NOT ride with you very long. My spouse hangs on to the passenger hand rails it is a wonder they are not cut in two parts. It is not my fault because before we ever go out I reinforce that she has to lean her body INTO THE TURN. FORGET THE OLD METHODS. But she just do WILL NOT do it so every turn we make above 20 MPH I feel her tense up and it could have a 2 mile radius to it.

I am 73 she is 74, she has always been a passenger and I have been both over the years. I started riding in 1955 and she started riding about 1965.

Spyder's are mechanically sound machines. BRP has made them high tech by using computerized components. With your dirt riding experience you could probably do the routine maintenance services. We have a 2011 RTL WITH 7k miles on it and besides some funky wiring connections from the factory I have had a warranty replacement of the LH switch assembly and a Digial Power Steering unit the $1,500 unit replaced the switch was under BRP and the DPS unit under the extended warranty umbrella. So it has not been a mech/tech nightmare.

The one thing I did do to it that I am glad I did was have the exhaust system heat tape wrapped. It reduced the heat and got rid of the exhaust noises in the pipes. A most definite improvement in rider/passenger comfort levels IMO. Go to my web site at www.wa4idi.org and look at it.
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 01-13-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann's right; they can "turn and burn", like a slot car on steroids!
    I always tell folks that they're more fun, "Than picking on a kid sister; when nobody's looking!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input, now to find a place to demo one

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    They are definitely up to the twisty backroads.
    Deanna777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

to this site. If you know someone who has a , I would test ride first, before you buy 1. Where ever you go on a spyder , people ask you questions, they are very comfortable on long distance rides, ( I bought a 2012 RTS-SE5 last year) Check in your state about getting your motorcycle License with the spyder. The RTS-SE6 is for touring, and for 2 people. Deanna777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

The Can Am web site has a list of places that rent Spyders. You might try that before buying.

Spyder Garage

Default JDI

JUST DO IT...!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have the Spyder for our two-up / touring rig. No it's no knee dragger in the twisties the way sportbikes are, but will keep up with most sport touring bikes in the sweepers and then some. We kept our two wheelers for getting our lean on, and the Spyder when we're not.

Just learn to make that mental switch when going from one to the other. Two years into it, I still have to make a mental reset every time; in the time it takes to get out of out neighborhood.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

First, it will take 200 to 300 miles to adjust to a Spyder, regardless of the year. They are that different. Second, you will never frighten your wife on a Spyder..... Third, you will miss two wheels. Fourth, the Spyder is a lot like the K series BMWs - lots of tupperware, maintenance is neither simple nor easy - most of us (past tense for me) opted for service by a good dealer - and not all are.

Dealers tend to be few and far between - and not all dealers are good ones.... (note the repeat). If you have a good dealer, close by, then the Spyder is worthy of serious consideration.

They carry more than any other bike, they are the only bike rated to tow by the factory, you will never have to put your feet down in stop & go traffic, weather protection is almost as good as my old K1200LT, and they have as many gizmos as a new Accord. They also cost almost as much.

I have owned two - a RS and a RTS - the latter was my favorite, and by far, the most comfortable, for both driver and passenger. Unfortunately, my nearest decent dealer was over 60 miles away..... nuff said.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I'm about the same age as you and I ride with a club of mostly Harley boys. I opted for the RS and the RT is just not my style. I can tell you I'm having the time of my life on the Spyder. I have a lot of upgrades into it and I can go above 110 with little effort and really feel hooked up. Go for it!
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So is the handling set up pretty nuetral or is it biased toward under steer? I imagine it would naturally be pretty tail happy withour some understeer dialed into the front suspension.

Unfortunately we've been hit with an unusual amount of cold and snowy weather here in dc so I haven't been able to test ride but I am looking forward to it once the weather breaks