Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Brightsides made in China?

I've been eyeballing these Brightsides for ever and finally broke down to buying them since I will be tearing the bike apart to redo the exaust gaskets and installing the remaining heat shield / air dam. I ordered them (front and back) from Custom Dynamics and only to receive them both labeled "made in China". Is that a mistake or are they really outsourced to China?
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They wouldn't put that sticker on them if it wasn't so...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

to keep the price reasonable you have to find the place with the best price. If you check you clothes,cars etc some are simply assembled in foreign lands. You just have to hope they keep an eye on quality...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Better check your food labels too. It will shock you how much of our food comes from China.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Better check your food labels too. It will shock you how much of our food comes from China.
    Now that you mentioned it--the thought of food coming from China is a bit scarry. The latest I heard was chicken. Can't wait until the fast food places start selling bites and tenders (parts) from there. I thought they had a problem with bird flu and had to dispose of millions of poultry type birds. I also believe they had an issue with baby food and dairy.

IMO--time to start reading labels and asking more questions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I also believe they had an issue with baby food and dairy.
    You have no idea on the stories I have heard from friends over there. There are many things they will no longer eat or buy because of the quality concerns.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup... it's time to start taking a close look at where this stuff comes from!

Spyder Garage

It is not just China food Aldi just announced a recall from a French company making horse meat lasagna
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I had horse meat. They aren't bad. But then again I knew it was horse meat going down ... not false advertisement like what Aldi did.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HOrsemeat in Lasagne?

Spyder Garage

that's why I like deer, elk, caribou and waterfowl hunting. you know where your meat is coming from!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default MADE IN CHINA BE WARE ! ! !

As some of you already know Made In Chin~a Products amounts to almost 90% of everything on our store shelves !!

As for Bright Sides ! The real thing to be looking for is where the individual LED light were made and is the product made for export !! My point is if the LED light is manufactured in chin~a for chin~ese use (lesser quality) it has a higher rate of failure than an export version.

Korean LED lights are of the top quality made around the world. If the Chin~ese manufacture purchased Korean made LED lights for export then I would not be concerned about the quality of the chin~ese made product.

Over the years there have been a number of food products in and from chin~a that have been nothing short of scary and poisonous for human consumption. Some examples are;
    1. Rice made of plastic
    2. Chickens that have died (chicken farms) several days before they were processed.
    3. Milk that was (is still being) watered down by 25% then they added melamine powder to richen up the flavor and consistency. Melamine is use in plate manufacturing. There were a number of children that died from gull stones and kidney failure and countless numbers of other chindren and adlts that have serous illnesses from it.

I have purchased a quart of milk in a paper carton, opened it and in less than 48 hours it could not be poured from the container. Ask your friends in chin~a, they will agree.

Many of the rivers and streams feeding into the Pearl River Delta area of South East chin~a often run shiny black from chemicals being dumped into the water.
    These are only a few of the multitude of existing health problems in chin~a.
    Last edited by MrLooney; 01-07-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Default Don't Bet on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They wouldn't put that sticker on them if it wasn't so...
    I have gone shopping at sports centers in Chin~a and one of my best finds was a pair of 501 Levi Blue Jeans advertised "Made In USA" $100.00!! All the tags and patches were authentic looking but upon closer inspection there was no inside ink stamps on the pockets and they had zipper up not buttons flies.

Let me think..... Oh Ya Made in Chin~a

Spyder Garage

Default CONCERNS

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    You have no idea on the stories I have heard from friends over there. There are many things they will no longer eat or buy because of the quality concerns.

BEEN THERE DONE THAT ~ LIVED IT ! ! !

Spyder Garage

There was the Chinese dry wall issue a few years ago. That's still in the court system. Kris recently went to the base commissary for groceries. She picked up a package of talapia and saw that it was a product of China. She put it back. Now for the real kicker, the new Lockheed F35 Fighter has a magnet used in the radar system that is manufactured in... you guessed it, China.
    Last edited by bruiser; 01-07-2014 at 07:41 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

Default MAGNET

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    There was the Chinese dry wall issue a few years ago. That's still in the court system. Kris recently went to the base commissary for groceries. She picked up a package of talapia and saw that it was a product of China. She put it back. Now for the real kicker, the new Lockheed F35 Fighter has a magnet used in the radar system that is manufactured in... you guessed it, China.

Maybe it is a rare earth magnet? Who knows??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Now that you mentioned it--the thought of food coming from China is a bit scarry. The latest I heard was chicken. Can't wait until the fast food places start selling bites and tenders (parts) from there. I thought they had a problem with bird flu and had to dispose of millions of poultry type birds. I also believe they had an issue with baby food and dairy.

IMO--time to start reading labels and asking more questions.
    There has recently been a problem with DOG Treats made in China killing dogs in this country. It took at least a year after a woman had a petition going around for this country to pull them off the market. Most were made from chicken.

Spyder Garage

It's a $2.00 magnet. I have a rare earth magnet. They're more than $2.00.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972

Spyder Garage

I purchased some LED strips last year for my wife's Spyder. By September some of the leds were no longer working. Yep, that crap was made in China. I just bought some more LED strips on ebay from a company that makes them in the US. You can tell the different quality right away. These new ones are more pliable and the 3M tape sticks a lot better. The wires that go to the strip are thicker. Also, the price was not much more. For now on, if I can find it made in Canada or the US I will buy it and pay more. It is cheaper in the long run.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Much of the Can-Am leather riding gear is made in China too, unfortunately. However it seems to be very well made... I just would rather have had it very well made in the USA or North America (I did not realize the Can-Am apparel was made in China when I ordered it... but like I said, it seems to be fairly well made as far as I can tell so far).

Few people seem to remember that back in the late 1980's thru early 1990's Walmart had a "Made in America" program going on where they actively tried to stock products made in the USA whenever they could... then they quietly phased that program out apparently in favor of the cheapest products they could possibly find period. People need to get on Walmart's case about it; Walmart could put A WHOLE LOT of Americans back to work real fast if they started stocking US (and North American) made goods again where ever possible! Too many Americans are still out of work here, it ain't right.

Chinese manfucaturers have killed quite a few pets in this country (and my pets are MY FAMILY!), and made quite a few people ill with toxic toys and the like. They don't have the best record on human rights, either!

- Michael

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Aren't those HUGE battery packs, that fill up the front of each and every Prius; manufactured in China as well?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Aren't those HUGE battery packs, that fill up the front of each and every Prius; manufactured in China as well?
    Those HUGE battery packs are in the rear of the Prius. There is an engine and a motor up front just like most cars.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default Made In chin~a

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I purchased some LED strips last year for my wife's Spyder. By September some of the leds were no longer working. Yep, that crap was made in China. I just bought some more LED strips on ebay from a company that makes them in the US. You can tell the different quality right away. These new ones are more pliable and the 3M tape sticks a lot better. The wires that go to the strip are thicker. Also, the price was not much more. For now on, if I can find it made in Canada or the US I will buy it and pay more. It is cheaper in the long run.

The proof is in the pudding !! Well said !

Spyder Garage

Default The List Goes On!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    Much of the Can-Am leather riding gear is made in China too, unfortunately. However it seems to be very well made... I just would rather have had it very well made in the USA or North America (I did not realize the Can-Am apparel was made in China when I ordered it... but like I said, it seems to be fairly well made as far as I can tell so far).

Few people seem to remember that back in the late 1980's thru early 1990's Walmart had a "Made in America" program going on where they actively tried to stock products made in the USA whenever they could... then they quietly phased that program out apparently in favor of the cheapest products they could possibly find period. People need to get on Walmart's case about it; Walmart could put A WHOLE LOT of Americans back to work real fast if they started stocking US (and North American) made goods again where ever possible! Too many Americans are still out of work here, it ain't right.

Chinese manfucaturers have killed quite a few pets in this country (and my pets are MY FAMILY!), and made quite a few people ill with toxic toys and the like. They don't have the best record on human rights, either!

- Michael

Well put Michael ! And the list of foul things from that country continue to pile up!