Thread: "Brake Failure"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default "Brake Failure"

Soooo..........on two occasions in the last week, I noticed the display show 'brake failure' once while I was coming to a stop I only caught the last part. "....failure' Today I started it and it said 'brake failure' again, then it went away as soon as I moved it, I put 20 miles on it and it hasn't come back..... any suggestions?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default oh yeah.....

........... and I have about 3,900 miles on it already!

Spyder Garage

Have you checked the brake fluid level as a low level will do this?

Also did you have the recall done to the brake fluid caps?

Again as the fluid gets low the rubber cap seal is drawn down in the
    reservoir pushing on the top of float causing this light to come on.

The recall vents the cap so it does not draw the rubber down in the
    reservoir as the fluid level drops due to pad wear, and keeps it from triggering this light.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 07-25-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Before you bring it in - I would stomp the hell out of the brakes a few times from 50 mph or so and let the ABS system work a couple of good times to see if that helps. There's some equalizing valves in there that might be causing the problem and need to seated.
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Well.....

I added a tiny amount of brake fluid.... it didn't really seem like it needed any but I topped it off anyway.

I took it for a ride and worked the brakes really hard and so far..... with another 150 miles on it, I haven't seen the warning come up again

Kinda odd if you ask me, but it's never gone into limp mode and I've never had any issue getting the brakes to work so I dunno.

I have #3489 so the brake recall thing was already done months before mine was built.

Who knows!?

Spyder Garage

Here's to hoping that Idleup's equalizing valve seating suggestion worked for you.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Good point Idleup. I have a 2010 so I am guessin that this cap issue is already resolved. The clutch issue though can cause excessive brake wear so I myself have to watch that; I have almost overshot a stop sign or two already! Something about how the bike heats up in slow conditions I think.

Today, however, I went for a HARD 125 mile romp over the river, through the woods, down the coast, back up the coast and back through the woods! Funny thing is, I only had to hit the brakes hard two times. And when I say hard I mean hard. They were perfect. and I did not overshoot any turns, or stop signs when I got back into town! So there has to be something to the theory!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

It sounds like a fluid/equalization issue to me also. I had it happen to me once--coming down the Hatcher Pass mountain grade--(Brake Failure warning screen). What a wonderful place to have that happen. I immediately pulled off the road, stopped the bike, turned the engine off, turned it back on, let the computer re-boot, and the message went away. PS. the brakes never felt like they were not working--and I was riding down the pass in 2nd gear--so the speed was not to high. Also had a fellow Spyder rider have it happen on level ground. We did the shut off/ re-boot thing and the rest of the ride went fine.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red