Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Tender

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevorama View Post
    I have a 2011 RT-SE5 and it has the Battery Tender lead built into it under the seat. Did they not do this with the following models?
    They did not do it with the 2011 either...it is a dealer-installed add-on.

Spyder Garage

I was poking around in the frunk behind my liner and found a SAE cable hanging in there. Is that for a battery tender? That would make life easy.... Btw the bike is a 2013 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Might that be for the accessory power plug that fits in the furnk?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysevel View Post
    I was poking around in the frunk behind my liner and found a SAE cable hanging in there. Is that for a battery tender? That would make life easy.... Btw the bike is a 2013 RT Limited
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Might that be for the accessory power plug that fits in the furnk?
    It would not be the accessory connector if it is SAE. I suspect is is a battery charging connection. Test with a voltmeter, with the key off. If it reads battery voltage it could be used to charge...no matter what the intended purpose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It would not be the accessory connector if it is SAE. I suspect is is a battery charging connection. Test with a voltmeter, with the key off. If it reads battery voltage it could be used to charge...no matter what the intended purpose.
    Yeah.. That's a good approach. Thanks
    Jonny

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TChill View Post
    I just bought a Battery Tender Jr. and I think I want to use a cig. light adapter in the trunk to maintain the battery. I believe I read that it is hot all the time. This looks like
    the easiest way to go to me. Anybody else doing it this way or aware of any problems doing it this way. Also, I just bought an Ultragard full cover and I plan to keep the
    Spyder covered with the trunk open enough to run the charger cord through. Anybody aware of ventilation issues doing it this way - what with the Battery Tender Jr on and the
    cover on for the winter? Oh by the way I have a 2012 RT-S and this is my first winter storage. Thanks for your input.
    I use the battery tender JR 800 Waterproof with a cigarette lighter adapter http://batterytender.com/waterproof-...emisphere.html.
    Since I do not have a garage ,I have a BRP Full storage cover (travel cover) and store the spyder outside covered with the battery tender Jr plugged in . Have no issues doing this . In the winter the spyder is stored inside at my dealer. I cannot remember the model yearof RT but some rear power outlets do not come from the factory power on all the time but just when the spyder is running. To change this function the fuse for the power outlet just gets moved to the constant power on location in the fuse panel. See your owner's manusl for complete instructions.
    DSCN2374.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the same one...
    It seemed to be about the same price, so the waterproofing just made good sense!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use the same one...
    It seemed to be about the same price, so the waterproofing just made good sense!
    Even in my neck of the woods the prices were pretty much identical and it only made sense to get the waterproof one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd say that, "Great minds think alike.", but I don't want to insult you!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd say that, "Great minds think alike.", but I don't want to insult you!
    Trust me Bob you won't be insulting me

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender did not help

OK, all this talk about a Battery Tender (I'm on my Second Black & Decker) but did not keep my Battery charged.
    Got my trailer (getting all ready for Spyderfest) I bought a MiniTrailer USA but came with the 4 flat plug. So, was in the garage today modifying the connector plug and had the Spyder Radio blasting to the oldies with the Battery Maintainer connected however two hours later the Spyder would not start. This has happended several times before but only when I shut the Spyder down in First Gear Not Neutral. Took jumper cables between Spyder Battery and my Truck to get her started again Truck Engine Off, battery to battery spyder stared and emidiatly disconnected the cables Spyder made some funny noises for a few seconds. Shut down the Spyder and started right up again on its own power. Has anyone else experienced the clicking and digital instrument display flashing if the Spyder is in first gear. Dealer has looked at it several times but could not find anything wrong.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The clicking is your starter relay (solenoid). It is a sign of a very low battery. The first thing I would do is check your battery connections (not the jump start connections. A loose or corroded battery connection will keep the battery from charging properly. A loose frame ground will, too, but that may be harder to check on the 2013 that it was on the earlier Spyders. You may want to consider ditching the Black & Decker charger, and get one designed for the motorcycle market. The B&D may be OK, but the Battery Tender, Optimate, Accumate, Xtreme, and Genius maintainers are approved for use with AGM batteries and do not overcharge (if you use the correct model).

You are not the first one who ran down the batetry using the radio. The Spyder battery hasn't near the capacity of an automotive battery, so it will not last nearly as long playing your tunes. A radio or iPod player in the garage is a better answer.

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking that it has something to do with shutting off in 1st since it has never happened when in neutral, I'll discuss with the dealer next week again. BTW the Ohm reading between negative of the battery terminal and engine was 0, shook it a bit and kicked the tires Ohm meter reading never changed so must be a gut n tight ground.