Spyder Garage

Default Ride-- don't walk, don't even run-- RIDE to get your Spyder laser aligned!

I got back tonight from riding down to DR Buck's for Lamont's and Harvey's (aka Spyderpops) laser alignment party. (Still going on tomorrow, if you're in VA and can handle the chill, go!: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ng-to-VA-maybe).

I ride a 2010 RSS. I never thought I had an alignment issue; I've had no drift AT ALL, in either direction. Tire wear was even, and not excessive. The bike's always felt to me like it rode straight and true, and I've never thought I had much difficulty turning in either direction. As a point of comparison, I've ridden a few demo bikes before, RS, RT *and* ST, and I never noticed any significant differences between those and my ride.

Frankly, I was wondering whether there was any point in taking my Spyder down today to get it aligned.

Especially since it's, oh, TWENTY FIVE DEGREES here today, there's fresh snow and ice on the road, and Culpeper is 70 miles from my house. Sure, I've got heated gear and a talent for masochism, but this? This has to be a sign of a mental problem.

But I took a leap of faith, in large part because folks here at Spyderlovers were raving about the alignment, and I just have to trust the smartest people on the internet, right?

Well, guess what? Not only was my RS out of alignment, it was MAJORLY out of alignment. Like, Lamont said it was one of the worst he's seen, about 2 1/2 inches worth of toe out. I imagined my front wheels splayed outward like they were propped up in doctor's stirrups.

In a jiffy, Lamont and Harvey did all the measurements and adjusted the alignment. Time to take a test ride...

I am not kidding: instantly, it was like I had a completely different Spyder. Completely. Different.

Again, I never once had a complaint about how it rode before; I never imagined I had an alignment issue. Turns out, you really don't know what you don't know!

I took it for granted before that the Spyder's steering was a bit rough, that by design you had to muscle it around a bit. Nuh-uh, that's not how it's supposed to be, how it can be.

Now, no kidding, the steering feels as responsive to me as a two-wheeler's. The handlebars on my RS move now as if they're floating on air, steering to the lightest touch of the fingers. No roughness in the steering, no muscling through turns. The Spyder not only goes straight and true on a flat road, the ride also feels significantly better, too. I noticed the improved ride immediately, even riding on the gravel driveway off of Dave's property (even bumping over rocks and snow I could immediately tell that my steering was different, before I even got to the paved road). While riding home tonight was an exercise in endurance (TWENTY FIVE DEGREES, people!!), the actual riding was an absolute joy. (Can't wait for a warm sunny day to really take the bike out for a complete shakedown in the twisties).

Bottom line: of all the money I've put into my Spyder-- and like most of you all, have I put in plenty!-- I've never got more bang for the buck than the $120 I spent today. A properly-aligned Spyder is a happy Spyder.

Thank you again to Lamont, Harvey, Dave, Doug and John for the alignment, the hosting, and the pleasant company.

And to the rest of you: you owe it to yourself to have this done. Even if you don't think you need it, remember that *I* didn't think I needed it, either. The worst that can happen is you find out you don't need it, and then you just get to enjoy your time hanging out with fellow riders. But the best that can happen... well, you may be VERY happily surprised with the result!
    Last edited by daveinva; 01-03-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default I Agree!!

I totally agree. I took my ST-S to the Lamonster garage in October. Before the alignment I thought I didn't have an alignment problem. No front tire wear and the Spyder would not drift in a straightaway. But it was out of alignment by a little bit. After Lamont worked his magic, I could really tell the difference. If you have not had a laser alignment you don't know what you are missing.

2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I had the same experience. Thought it was fine until it was aligned and then I was amazed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    2013 RT , Red

Spyder Garage

The convoy is headed to Remington in the morning!
    Previous ride | 2009 Yamaha V Star Custom | black/pink flames
    Current ride | 2011 RT Limited | pearl white

Diamond R Accessories Premium Floorboards | Gorilla alarm system | Gloryders in pink kiss design | Spyder Sisters Frunk organizer | Kuryakyn clamshell grips | Lamonster Laser Alignment | Custom Dynamics HMT brake light, front fender lights, brightsides | Ultimate seat

Spyder Garage

I'm hoping the roads are clear enough for me to get down to Remington in the morning . . . I'm starting out around 8 . . . the farther south I get, the less snow fell and the better the roads should be . . . it is supposed to be 10 degrees at 8 AM!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I couldn't agree with the "OP" more. When I suggest to folks that every spyder that has been manufactured get a laser alignment, many look at me with. "Yeah, right". "My spyder has been properly set up with my Elka shocks and Baja Ron sway bar." " I don't need to spend anymore money (a waste of time) on a laser alignment".

Well I'm here to tell ya that again, you owe it to yourself AND your spyder to get this alignment.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Wonder if a guy can get this done up here in Canada?
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Wonder if a guy can get this done up here in Canada?
    OH NO, now Harvey and Lamont have to go to Canada ........... Road trip

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

BTW, I wanted my post to only be a positive rave, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the negative thought that I couldn't avoid having:

How the HECK does BRP not do a better job of aligning these things??? Not only at setup, but also checking them at routine service intervals to make sure they're good?

It'd be one thing if proper alignment was just some technical fix, i.e. it improved tire wear, or if proper alignment resulted only in a subjective improvement in riding.

But last night was clearly an OBJECTIVE improvement in riding. Shockingly so.

Again, I'd never have guessed I had a problem. I just figured my Spyder-- *all* Spyders-- rode like mine did. For over two years now I've accepted that (substandard) performance as perfectly normal.

How many other Spyder owners out there are just as ignorant as I was?

Anyway, I certainly don't want to take money out of Lamont's and Harvey's pockets, but in a just world, laser alignment would be *standard*, done at every BRP dealer, at no cost to the owner (at least the first time-- I appreciate dealers need to make money doing repeat service).

Because this isn't a farkle, an accessory or option like anti-sway bars or better shocks that we all can add and pay for on our own in the aftermarket if we so choose. Proper alignment should be the standard baseline for every Spyder sold... or am I crazy to think that?
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I just got back from having my Spyder aligned by Lamont and Harvey. What a difference the ride is now. The alignment, I just installed new plugs and wires from Bajaron; it feels like I have a new Spyder.

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

One thing about the Laser Alignment is also that you have to have someone who knows what they are doing, Lamont and Harvey got it down pat, thanks guys

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    One thing about the Laser Alignment is also that you have to have someone who knows what they are doing, Lamont and Harvey got it down pat, thanks guys

Cruzr Joe
    I know from experience how true this is. Had my Spyder laser aligned at a dealer in Sep 13. The handling was better but dealer said he could not get the slight drift to the right corrected...they tried valiantly but couldn't get it right/perfect. Lamont and Harvey applied their superior laser alignment knowledge on my Spyder Friday during the LAP in Remington VA. Drift to the right is gone and the handling now is totally amazing.

NOT ALL LASER ALIGNMENTS ARE THE SAME...WHO DOES IT MATTERS...LAMONT AND HARVEY NOT ONLY KNOW HOW TO DO IT BUT UNDERSTAND THE SCIENCE/ENGINEERING INVOLVED IN GETTING IT RIGHT. NONE BETTER!

They aligned 15 Spyders during the Remington VA LAP and every ryder left happy, happy, happy!
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I did not realize how my Spyder should have steered, until the alignment was done. Huge difference! I also used considerably less gas going home (3/4 gallon less in 80 miles) than I did going to the Lap. I also discovered something else. My Spyder rolls a lot easier. I was approaching a gas station where I was going to fill up. I had cruise control on and tapped the brake to release it. I was rolling without throttle, planning to turn in to the gas station . . . and almost missed the turn. My Spyder didn't slow down nearly as fast as I am accustomed . . . it just kept rolling! Thanks for setting this up, and inviting me! And when I got home, just to make the day better, all the farkles I ordered from Spyder Pops were waiting for me!

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Spyder Garage

So just how does the factory or dealerships set these things up initially (alignment wise)? Do they even make an attempt at aligning the Spyder after assembly or do they just assume it's right when it's bolted together or what?

My fear is that mine drives straight as an arrow takes curves with good authority isn't wearing the tires and appears to be getting reasonable close to the claimed 35mpg (everytime I do the math after a fill-up)... and I just don't want to mess anything up!

Like others here have mentioned previously, mine is the ONLY Spyder I've ever driven so I really have nothing to compare it to (besides my 1 ton dually "daily driver" truck I guess).

- Michael
    Last edited by Michael211_2000; 01-05-2014 at 12:46 AM. Reason: fix a typo!

Spyder Garage

I had a great time with all you guys and was glad you saw the same results as most. daveinva yours was one of the worst I had seen, the only one worst than that was Doc Doru but yours was a close second.

We had one RT that was really bad but I guess it had been hit buy a bus He was very happy too.

I want to thank all of you for putting this together. I was talking with SpyRyd about how this all came about and it was when he got some bad advice on how to fix his drift and asked me what I thought. I told him I wouldn't do that and I can't believe someone would tell him that that should no better. Turns out his was pretty far out and the advice he got wouldn't have helped and most likely would have made it worst so you can thank SpyRyd for his bad job and advice for getting yours done right.

You VA riders are hardcore for sure and I'm glad that most of you were able to make it out. Harvey and I had a blast.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    . . . I'm glad that most of you were able to make it out. Harvey and I had a blast.
    We did, too, Lamont. It was an excuse to ryde! If you and Harvey had not been there, it would have been another day of NOT ryding!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    So just how does the factory or dealerships set these things up initially (alignment wise)? Do they even make an attempt at aligning the Spyder after assembly or do they just assume it's right when it's bolted together or what?

My fear is that mine drives straight as an arrow takes curves with good authority isn't wearing the tires and appears to be getting reasonable close to the claimed 35mpg (everytime I do the math after a fill-up)... and I just don't want to mess anything up!

Like others here have mentioned previously, mine is the ONLY Spyder I've ever driven so I really have nothing to compare it to (besides my 1 ton dually "daily driver" truck I guess).

- Michael
    I believe that the dealers and factory use a different (less accurate) more generalized technique that does a reasonable job, but like a lot of different things now, these guys (Lamont and Harvey) take the process one or more steps further and adjust for each different Spyder so that it is at an optimal point.

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD