Spyder Garage

Default Sturgis and Spyder Positive and Negative Experiences

Coming off two wheels and planning on a Sturgis trip for the Rally. I would appreciate anyones experiences on a Spyder.

No sugar coating. No opinions of how I SHOULD feel. Just plain personal experiences please. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    Coming off two wheels and planning on a Sturgis trip for the Rally. I would appreciate anyones experiences on a Spyder.

No sugar coating. No opinions of how I SHOULD feel. Just plain personal experiences please. Thanks
    I went to Sturgis a couple years ago. Had a blast. No issues at all.
    I saw easily 200 plus Spyders.
    We rode 3000 plus miles. Some of the most beautiful riding I have done.
    Lots of people checking out my Spyder when parked.
    I'm looking forward to going again !!!
    You should go. Its a hoot !!!

Tommy J.
    Last edited by fireplug98; 01-02-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

I guess my question would be why are you going, and what are your concerns that "MAY" prevent you from accomplishing the same. Therin may lie the answer.

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 01-02-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

as to what..?? Just ryding, road trips, comfort etc, etc or how it is on a spyder at sturgis...?? My opinion is you will love it on all points..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I guess my question would be why are you going, and what are your concerns that "MAY" prevent you from accomplishing the same. Therin may lie the answer.

Chris
    Don't read into this. I am a big boy. Been riding since 1966. Transitioning to a trike. Just curious how the experiences have been.

Was in Sturgis in 1999. Going back, Good Lord willing, in 2015 for 75th.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Tommy J. That is an example of what I am looking for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Missus and I just got done watching "Sturgis Raw", all New Year's Eve...
    I saw no reason to NOT go... if you like mud, drunk folks fighting, and pasties...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Been going to Strurgis since the mid 60s. Got way more attention with the Spyder than I did with a new fully dressed ultra Harley. There is no problem whatsoever and Sturgus has cleaned up its act the last few years. Never seen a drunk, a fight, nudity or colors, They do not tolerate it anymore. Just go, there is a lot to see and people will ask a lot of questions about your Spyder.
    Roger

Spyder Garage

Trikes are abundant. Most are H/D, of course, but there are more and more every year. Spyders, Goldwings, … Come on out. I am sure you will have a good time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They were even showing a lot of V-8 powered ones that were in attendance this past August.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Brothers of the 3rd wheel used to have their trike meet in Sturgis during bike week but don't know if they still do

Spyder Garage

By the way, first time I was in Sturgis was in 1957,free camping behind John [Pappys] motorcycle shop.Could go in and see some of the race bike engines repaired.If I remember correctly there was about 400 motorcycles there, watched the races and hill climb

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    Been going to Strurgis since the mid 60s. Got way more attention with the Spyder than I did with a new fully dressed ultra Harley. There is no problem whatsoever and Sturgus has cleaned up its act the last few years. Never seen a drunk, a fight, nudity or colors, They do not tolerate it anymore. Just go, there is a lot to see and people will ask a lot of questions about your Spyder.
    Roger
    You have a few years on me, but I've been going since the later 70's. If you never seen a drunk, a fight, nudity or colors, the last few years you are going to bed way to early.

Spyder Garage

Default Sturgis Ride

When I was with the HOG group they said you need to go to Sturgis twice, once to see the circus then the next time to see the scenery. If you are concerned go to the Fri the 13th Ride in June in Port Dover Ontario. It is a good ride and the OPP won't put up with silliness.

Spyder Garage

I went to Sturgis in '12, on my spyder, had a good time. Then I realized I drove a 1000 miles there and back to buy some t-shirts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrider12 View Post
    I went to Sturgis in '12, on my spyder, had a good time. Then I realized I drove a 1000 miles there and back to buy some t-shirts
    Isn't that the norm for Rally's?

Rapid City and beyond has some of the most scenic areas in the US. No reason not to tour.

Thanks everyone for their responses. After riding Metrics for all these years I am used to the banter from US made bikers. I wasn't worried about response. Just curious if it was the same Spyder "attention" as it is around here and Americade.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Made a 2 week camping trip to Mt Rushmore back in July (way before Sturgis) and found a huge number of Spyder riders out there. Seen way more Spyders than two-wheelers, there everywhere!! On the flipside of that I would never get anywhere near Sturgis, ever. Not my kind of scene.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

In the good old days I went to the Black Hills area at least once each summer. I did go through the area during the rally one year on my way to a meeting in Las Vegas. I was in a cage that trip. Lots of bikes and congestion. If you don't like crowds and waiting in line for everything...then not an enjoyable experience.

I am feeling that anyone wanting to attend during rally time on their would find all to be well. There is now enough police presence to keep situations under control. If you don't go looking for trouble you should be okay.

We are planning on a trip there in May and also planning on renting 's for a day. We will either go to Devils Tower or Badlands National Park on the 's. The whole Black Hills area is very beautiful to ryde and no one will be disappointed in the scenery or the attractions.

Bottom line: If the Black Hills is on your list--go for it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    In the good old days I went to the Black Hills area at least once each summer. I did go through the area during the rally one year on my way to a meeting in Las Vegas. I was in a cage that trip. Lots of bikes and congestion. If you don't like crowds and waiting in line for everything...then not an enjoyable experience.

I am feeling that anyone wanting to attend during rally time on their would find all to be well. There is now enough police presence to keep situations under control. If you don't go looking for trouble you should be okay.

We are planning on a trip there in May and also planning on renting 's for a day. We will either go to Devils Tower or Badlands National Park on the 's. The whole Black Hills area is very beautiful to ryde and no one will be disappointed in the scenery or the attractions.

Bottom line: If the Black Hills is on your list--go for it.
    And don't forget, Custer State Park. Needles Hwy, IronMountain & the wildlife loop. I loved that huge loop of all three. LOL. I did it twice !!! Once one way and once the reverse way.

I just want to say, the 10 days I was at Sturgis, not once did I get any crap about my Spyder. Everyone was very nice & cordial.

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black