Thread: P1614 question.

Spyder Garage

Default P1614 question.

A friend of mine bought a new to him 2011 RT Limited last week from a dealer. He drove it on and off the trailer and started it a few times figuring out how all the stuff works. Too much snow to go for a ride. This week it would not start so of course he calls me. Cranks just fine but won't fire. Went through the WOT start procedure and no luck. Then he tells me the engine light is on. Told him how to get the code and it was P1614. So my question is, the only fix new throttle bodies or could something else be causing the problem?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

P1614 relates to the throttle body......... it needs to go to dealer.. hope it is still under warranty..

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Magdave; 12-27-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

The service bulletin calls for a new throttle body, unless that bulletin has been superceded. It also calls for some important firmware updates that can hopefully prevent future damage.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The service bulletin calls for a new throttle body, unless that bulletin has been superceded. It also calls for some important firmware updates that can hopefully prevent future damage.
    But the possibility is if it was the first time the firmware will suffice. Roger said his has done it 4 times in my link. I do not know if he ever got it changed or not. It can be a one time position sensor misread if after the firmware it does it again well....TB time. It seems BRP like to throw parts at a problem first and ask questions later sometimes. But I wonder why they sent out a service bulletin for a software problem that caused the TB to fail. Isn't that like putting the tail before the cow? And why not a recall? I know the 2010's had it. Either way the bulletin must be verified and hope for the best.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

My experience with this code is oil in the air cleaner box, the throttle bodies become gummed up with oil. I have just had mine replaced under warranty and I'm now looking at placing an oil catch can in the breather tube from the crankcase to the air cleaner to alleviate any future problems. I have an 2010 RTS SE5, after discovering oil in the air filter box I put an inline glass fuel filter inline however it fills fairly quickly hence the catch can is now going in. There are plenty of threads re the inline filter particularly the fix from Baja Ron however I'm going the total fix with the catch can.

Best of luck with your bike, it is frustrating when it throws this code as my bike went into limp mode and I had to ride 20 k's to get home then try and fix the problem by spraying carbi cleaner on the external pin of the throttle body which helped in getting it to my dealer. As I had this problem several times my dealer contacted BRP and the throttle body was replaced under warranty along with the software upgrade. Once the bike is out of warranty I don't want to be concerned about any future problems with oil in the air cleaner box, hence the oil catch can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks everybody for your replies. I already thought I knew the answer but was double checking, in case I missed something. It's still under warranty and I already told him to bring it back to the dealer to get a new throttle body. He is not a happy camper. It is a 3 hour round trip to the dealer.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRWW View Post
    My experience with this code is oil in the air cleaner box, the throttle bodies become gummed up with oil. I have just had mine replaced under warranty and I'm now looking at placing an oil catch can in the breather tube from the crankcase to the air cleaner to alleviate any future problems. I have an 2010 RTS SE5, after discovering oil in the air filter box I put an inline glass fuel filter inline however it fills fairly quickly hence the catch can is now going in. There are plenty of threads re the inline filter particularly the fix from Baja Ron however I'm going the total fix with the catch can.

Best of luck with your bike, it is frustrating when it throws this code as my bike went into limp mode and I had to ride 20 k's to get home then try and fix the problem by spraying carbi cleaner on the external pin of the throttle body which helped in getting it to my dealer. As I had this problem several times my dealer contacted BRP and the throttle body was replaced under warranty along with the software upgrade. Once the bike is out of warranty I don't want to be concerned about any future problems with oil in the air cleaner box, hence the oil catch can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I fixed the oil in the airbox on my 09 with a piece of open cell foam in the vent line. The foam I used was for a lawnmower air filter. It worked very well and was easy to do. A lot easier than setting up a catch can system.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please le tus know how he makes out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Called

My buddy called the dealer. The dealer told him it needs a new throttle body. He said he would order it right away (Friday) and it should come in Monday. All covered by warranty.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks goodness for that!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

smooth operation with a happy ending. To bad about it happening and do have the dealer make sure all updates have been done...now enjoy the ryde and welcome..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The price is right hopefully it will never happen again

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good dealer. I have never dealt with them before, but for future reference I will consider them.
    My buddy is a little happier about the situation now. We are not done making fun of him yet. He drove it maybe 50 feet tops and broke it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Sounds like a good dealer. I have never dealt with them before, but for future reference I will consider them.
    My buddy is a little happier about the situation now. We are not done making fun of him yet. He drove it maybe 50 feet tops and broke it.
    that's just mean His name isn't "Lucky" is it?