Spyder Garage

Default Where do I start

My wife got a wild idea a year ago that she wanted a street bike. While looking at them I saw my first Spyder and have been hooked ever since.
    My wife could ride the wheels off a dirt bike when she was young but a bad shoulder, knee replaced and ankle fusion in the next month I finally convinced her that we don't want something we have to prop up and she now agrees that a Spyder is the way to go.
    Now the problem. I have only rode a motorcycle a few times and that was a dirt bike. I ride 4 wheelers a lot and have two of them.
    I am planning on taking one of those motorcycle classes to get my license so I can do a test ride but more importantly for the safety part as I have no road experience.
    Any pointers or suggestions that will help a new road rider. Also a good dealer in Ga. as well.
    I don't want to make a $30,000 mistake. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    My wife got a wild idea a year ago that she wanted a street bike. While looking at them I saw my first Spyder and have been hooked ever since.
    My wife could ride the wheels off a dirt bike when she was young but a bad shoulder, knee replaced and ankle fusion in the next month I finally convinced her that we don't want something we have to prop up and she now agrees that a Spyder is the way to go.
    Now the problem. I have only rode a motorcycle a few times and that was a dirt bike. I ride 4 wheelers a lot and have two of them.
    I am planning on taking one of those motorcycle classes to get my license so I can do a test ride but more importantly for the safety part as I have no road experience.
    Any pointers or suggestions that will help a new road rider. Also a good dealer in Ga. as well.
    It may be a bit difficult to find a course to teach specific techniques on the Spyder--most are for the two wheelers.

Less experience with two wheelers seems to be a benefit. Less things to unlearn. 200 - 500 miles on a and you will probably be good to go. There used to be some DVD's around that showed training on a Spyder--check with your local dealer and see if they will give you one. If that don't work--go to the BRP official site--find the owners manual--and print out the safety and training information--that should be very helpful. It is suggested to test and practice in a parking lot at first and then go from there.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default At the begining..!!

it would not be a mistake. As to what to know, the two wheelers are different as well as the quads but more similar to quads and snowmobiles. If a bike rider you will have to unlearn some. Learning the roadster will take 300-500 miles but once comfortable with it you will love it. Good luck on your test and hope to see you both on a roadster soon....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Take the MC safety class. Then buy a couple of books on MC safety and read them. Practice safe riding ALL THE TIME. This way when you encounter a dangerous situation you won't have to "try to remember" what to do...you will just do it naturally. Start off slowly, ride around your neighborhood, then venture out to the highway and the super slab when your confidence builds. Don't rush it--just ride a little every day.

Wear long selves, full finger gloves, boots, and a helmet. ...and watch the tires of cars at intersections and driveways. The tires move twice as fast as the car so you can see if the driver is slowing down or speeding up a lot easier. This saved my butt lots of times.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your ATV experience is actually a HUGE benefit! TheSpyder feels more like an ATV going down that road, than anything else.
    Taking a safety course is about the smartest thing that you could do at this time. This should give you at least the most rudimentary ideas as to exactly what questions you should be asking...
    My advice; take this process slow and easy... it takes time to gather up the experience to be safe on the streets...
    And ask anything that comes to mind; we'll help you get through it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

All good advice above, as usual. You might try talking to a dealer and have them ride a Spyder to a parking lot for you both try at low speed. You did not say what kind of 4 wheelers, but if the dealer is the same, might a way "in"
    Good Luck, have fun and ride safe.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I got a DVD with Ruby. It was helpful to a point. I will be 66 next month and I found my biggest problem was keeping focused on the ride. I was as giddy as my St. Bernard in mating season. The Spyder is a blast and every time I get back on that feeling comes rushing back......

Gary
    2012 RTS 2065 miles
    Web Boards, Champion Tour Full Cover
    USAF 67-71 Weapons Mechanic -Love my B-52
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME to SPYDERLAND

I'm sure there are good dealers in GA or you can look at #1 dealer here on SPYDERLOVERS web page. PIT BULL MOTORSPORTS, and pick it up this April at SPYDERFEST 5, I'm sure there will be some big specials. what ever you choose, you will love it,,,,

Spyder Garage

Constant refreshers in safety help a lot. Foe example, the California Highway Patrol requires its motor officers to undergo a week of training every year to stay safe. Come to think of it, I might be wrong on the frequency-- it might be more often. I'll check into that and post my findings right here in a little while.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default STEP

There is a program called STEP,Sidecar/trike education program put on by Evergreen Safety Council.They hold classes at various places around the country.The course takes you from not knowing anything about riding to proficiency to pass the test and in some states passing the course will get your endorsement.That being said most of the trike stuff is conventional and they may have started incorporating the Spyder. we took the course 3 or 4 year ago when my wife got a sidecar rig,it does teach safety and the dynamics of having that 3rd wheel
    Geo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Take the MC safety class. Then buy a couple of books on MC safety and read them. Practice safe riding ALL THE TIME. This way when you encounter a dangerous situation you won't have to "try to remember" what to do...you will just do it naturally. Start off slowly, ride around your neighborhood, then venture out to the highway and the super slab when your confidence builds. Don't rush it--just ride a little every day.

Wear long selves, full finger gloves, boots, and a helmet. ...and watch the tires of cars at intersections and driveways. The tires move twice as fast as the car so you can see if the driver is slowing down or speeding up a lot easier. This saved my butt lots of times.
    This is exactly how my wife learned to ride her Spyder. She had never ridden a motorcycle before she took her course. She didn't feel comfortable on a two wheeler so she decided to try the Spyder. She drove around our neighbourhood until she was comfortable enough to hit the open road. Now, she hits the main highways without thinking about them. She has driven interstates and all in just a couple of months.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gwritesel View Post
    There is a program called STEP,Sidecar/trike education program put on by Evergreen Safety Council.They hold classes at various places around the country.The course takes you from not knowing anything about riding to proficiency to pass the test and in some states passing the course will get your endorsement.That being said most of the trike stuff is conventional and they may have started incorporating the Spyder. we took the course 3 or 4 year ago when my wife got a sidecar rig,it does teach safety and the dynamics of having that 3rd wheel
    Geo.
    STEP would be great if you can find a place offering it. Linda rides a Ural side car rig and I've got the Spyder, we'd both like to take the course but last I check Evergreen didn't have anything going anywhere near us here in Dayton. There is a course taught at various site through out Virginia during the year and if we can figure out the logistics we might try one of those.

Check with whoever in Georgia operates the Motor Cycle Safety Foundation course and see if they can point to a trike specific course. I checked with the guy in Columbus back in September and he didn't know of anything in Ohio.

I drive both rigs and the side car is a whole other game. Fun but a bunch different.

Ride and ride safe,
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all,
    Curt and Linda
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurtG View Post
    STEP would be great if you can find a place offering it. Linda rides a Ural side car rig and I've got the Spyder, we'd both like to take the course but last I check Evergreen didn't have anything going anywhere near us here in Dayton. There is a course taught at various site through out Virginia during the year and if we can figure out the logistics we might try one of those.

Check with whoever in Georgia operates the Motor Cycle Safety Foundation course and see if they can point to a trike specific course. I checked with the guy in Columbus back in September and he didn't know of anything in Ohio.

I drive both rigs and the side car is a whole other game. Fun but a bunch different.

Ride and ride safe,
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all,
    Curt and Linda
    We had to go to Louisville or Lexington,Ky can't remember now .I wish I could remember the 2 peoples names that were teaching it.Just found the instructers name and it was at Louisville 2 day course.Don't know if he is still teaching it but you might give him a call.
    Contact Tub Maxson
    513-752-1513
    Last edited by gwritesel; 12-23-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ride like you are invisible . . . assume folks in cars don't see you. And you are going to LOVE riding a Spyder!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you might have some luck with Gold Wing Riders of America they offer MSF trike course but you may have to supply your own trike.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Where do I start?

Your ATV experience is a big plus. A motorcycle safety course is a good idea but it will not help you with the specifics of a Spyder. They are going to concentrate on 2 wheels. The safety portion of the course however is very good. Around here the course takes place on a weekend and upon completion you take your certificate the DMV and you are issued your motorcycle endorsement for your DL. Nothing else is required. I did not take a course. I studied the handbook issued by the DMV and took the road test on a 500cc Yamaha TMax (maxi scooter). Shortly thereafter I purchased a Spyder and took it easy for a while i.e. short rides in the subdivision and then around town. Within a week or so I was out and about in the Smoky Mountains and even the Dragon. I took it slow initially of course as should you. Bottom line: Don't worry about it. No need to take a lot of time preparing. Get your motorcycle endorsement and then get your Spyder. Make sure the dealer has a good reputation. That is worth it's weight in gold. Spyders are temperamental and don't always behave the way you would like and having a dealer that is properly trained is essential. BTW I would stay away from a 2013 model. 2012 seems to be the year Can Am got everything worked out. They tried some new things on the 2013's that didn't work out so well. You might want to wait for the 2014 RT. They should start hitting showrooms in January 2014. New engine (1300cc triple) and lots of other upgrades and "fixes." If I were buying now that is what I would do. In the meantime do a lot of reading, here and on Canamspyderforums.com. Your ATV experience gives you an advantage over other first time Spyder riders.

Spyder Garage

You didn't say where you were at. There is a dealer in Statesville and another just starting their Spyder program in Jesup. I know there are others around Atlanta and Athens.

I had not ridden in 30 years when I got mine 2 years ago so the learning curve was a little smaller. GA has a learner permit system so if you are sure you are going with the Spyder, go ahead and get your permit - it's good for 6 months, I think. The rider course is great and I know there are some given in the middle of the state - check with Goldwing folks or your local ABATE group. I got my bike without a test ride (I don't know the value if you only have a short ride). and then spent a month learning to ride. You can find the riding test in the state book and then practice everything in a parking lot. Once you are comfortable with everything, you can take the driving test and get your endorsement.

There are a number of Spyder owners here in GA do please contact some of us if you need information or help with anything. Good Luck!
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

APEX in VA does safety courses and they provide a limited number of Spyders for use during the class.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

I had never ridden a motorbike of any kind when I bought my Spyder. I took a MC safety course and credit that with 60,000 miles of safe Spyder riding. My little experience with two wheelers lead me to believe that it is more like an ATV than a two wheeler but others on here would know better.

I picked my Spyder up in 2007 and rode it out behind the dealer for a couple of miles to get the feel of it. Shortly after that I headed out across country. I was 60 when I started on a Spyder and would never have enjoyed the open air feeling of motorcycle riding without BRP having come up with this little jewel.

You will be fine. Enjoy the ride.

Spyder Garage

Default Check your site

I sent you a PM.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We bought our Spyder on Black Friday of 2012 for my wife who did not have a license. She got a permit so she could ride, sighed up for a Pa sponsored MSF trike course in May of 2013 at which she passed an got her license. After a couple weeks of riding we were off on a 2400 mile trip to West Virginia. No mistake here, she loves her Limited and I like it too. We put about 7700 miles on the Spyder last year. When hers gets paid off I have a decision to make for myself.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Constant refreshers in safety help a lot. Foe example, the California Highway Patrol requires its motor officers to undergo a week of training every year to stay safe. Come to think of it, I might be wrong on the frequency-- it might be more often. I'll check into that and post my findings right here in a little while.
    still no response from the CHP on this validation....still waiting
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the reply's. I love coming to this site, now all I need is a spyder of my own.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the reply's. I love coming to this site, now all I need is a spyder of my own.
    Yes you do! And the Sooner the Better! You want to be a veteran when spring time hits!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I couldn't find a riding course in GA after I purchased my Spyder. So, last year I took the GWRRA trike course in AL at the Honda plant. We had three Spyder and two Goldwings. They cater to the Spyders now in their training. Great course and a real friendly bunch off folks.