Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Question about BUDs

I'm a new Spyder owner and have a question. After a wheel alignment the Buds have to be reset. Why, what do they do to the steering? Any help understanding this is appreciated

Spyder Garage

BUDS is not a thing that has to be reset. It is the diagnostic probram and the interface the tech uses to do the work. The steering sensor calibration should be reset after any alignment or suspension/steering parts replacement. BUDS is used to accomplish that.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

it's like Scotty said. What it is is your onboard computer knows where "0" is on your front end. When you re-adjust it without letting the computer know it will give you codes and warnings and limp home messages (in some cases where the change is major).
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default BUDS

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    it's like Scotty said. What it is is your onboard computer knows where "0" is on your front end. When you re-adjust it without letting the computer know it will give you codes and warnings and limp home messages (in some cases where the change is major).

Of all the Spyders that have been aligned (by now in excess of 300 Who knows? I have lost count), how many have thrown Limp Mode? 3 maybe 4??

Yes, in the first place, the alignment has to be way out, major toe out. Scrubbing off the inside edge of both front tires.

I aligned a Northern Cali. Spyder that was barely getting 5,000 miles on a pair of tires. After the Laser Alignment his Roadster did not go limp on him and he did not need BUDS connected. It would have been nice to connect BUDS just to perfect and center the DPS steering. He did mention turning in one direction was slightly difficult. This could have been corrected by a slight tie rod adjustment.

I deliberately set my handlebars off center (wheels correctly aligned) and went for a long 5 hour ride. Half way back home (3.5 hours into the ride) on a very very long right hand turn when my Spyder flashed a DPS Limp mode. I stopped and pulled the key and walked 50' away. All was find and the remainder of the trip home, No Limp Mode. When I got home I reset the handle bars straight and front tire alignment Spot ON. Now I have ridden over 1,500 miles in 7 or 8 weeks and no sign of any problems. Do I have BUDS? No! Did I need BUDS? No! I will have the shop check BUDS on my next Service Call? Yes!

Bottom Line, if the service tech who
    Laser Aligns your Spyder knows what he is doing, there should never be a concern, only reap the many benefits of a properly Aligned Spyder.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~